• Madison Scouts
    • 27th Lancers
    • Spirit of Atlanta
    • Suncoast Sound
    • Phantom Regiment
    • Cavaliers
    • Star of Indiana
    • Other

So who was the greatest in the 80's? Tough call, got a four-peat (not to mention a three-peat as well), the only line to score a perfect 30, along with some serious innovation from some lines that were close to the top but didn't win as much.

Edited by WestCoaster

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's going to be those two, I think.

Folks this hands down a no brainer. Tom Float and the Blue Devils pwned 80's drumming. Several of the best drum solos ever written came from BD in that decade. They were playing notes that no one else was even dreaming of at the time. Given that Bridgmen weren't around for the majority of the decade not so sure they should even be included in the poll.

Edited by BozzlyB

To be fair, my favorite battery of the decadein terms of style is 27th Lancers, esp. 1984. Mercy.

Given that Bridgmen weren't around for the majority of the decade not so sure they should even be included in the poll.

They won drums three times, I can't imagine a poll without them would be fair. Although I'm surprised they are winning, the B-Men were great but they couldn't hold a candle to the BD lines that era. Not even close.

Plus the way I see it, B-Men had 4 great lines that decade, BD had 7.

Edited by WestCoaster

They won drums three times, I can't imagine a poll without them would be fair. Although I'm surprised they are winning, the B-Men were great but they couldn't hold a candle to the BD lines that era. Not even close.

I am sorry to disagree with you, but the 1982 line is one of, if not the best of that era. Can you say 19.8 in the tick system!!!!!

Hype!

George

In a sense they did...they beat Spirit's line, which, until Float moved to BD, was probably their main competition.

Never mind the fact that the corps itself had a meteoric plunge into oblivion following 1980...you can't ignore a drum three-peat.

BD gets the win here because of the 4-peat and remaining at the top of the percussion food chain where Bridgemen did not in the 80s....but perhaps a better poll would be best in a given 10 year span...say 76-86.

I am sorry to disagree with you, but the 1982 line is one of, if not the best of that era. Can you say 19.8 in the tick system!!!!!

Hype!

George

You're not disagreeing with me, as I wrote they had 4 great lines.

The point is, this is a poll for the whole decade and to me, BD dominated far more. AND they had a much, much more difficult program to pull off each of those years as well.

But if you're going to point out one single year and claim "that makes them best for the decade", they why not go with Garfield and their PERFECT score?