Actual 30-Year-Old Poll Results

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my very humble opinion, there far too many corps listed for one decade

This was an open survey, so people were free to write any corps they wanted. I didn't come up with any of these corps. Unlike most of the polls that appear on DCP, there were NO multiple choices here, thus there are quite a few corps listed. These were just the top vote-getters.

I did this survey in 1979.

Very good reason for why 1980 wasn't in there! :blink:

Not one from 1978???

It was because of those pom-poms, wasn't it?

:tongue:

I was not a fan of them....

:tongue:

I was not a fan of them....

And I'll bet if you polled members of Two-Seven's rifle line that year, you'd find they weren't too fond of them, either. In fact, I'm pretty sure LancerFi made that comment at least once here on DCP. Let me see if I can find her post. Ah, yes, here 'tis: 1978 DCI Race

There's also this post from the old corps photos thread that explains why they were used. Probably seemed like a good idea at the time, but not such a great idea in hindsight. BTW, I love Sally's retort:

27th's rifles doing pom-pons? :o

That's like asking Spirit's 80 hornline to pick up clarinets!

Sheesh. <_<

Touché! :blink:

Edited by byline

Or maybe like the Scouts being asked to play disco in 1976.

• 2 months later...

Muchachos didn't tour much in 74 and 75 in comparison to other Midwest and Western Corps because we didn't have the money. There were a lot of corps from NJ and we even shared the town and the resources of the Cabaleros. We were not allowed to have Bingo and fund raising was very limited. But most people in the activity knew of the corps and the shows we had performed in order to make a judgement as to where we stood. Since in 74 we beat every DCI corps at least once and in 75... well you can have your own opinions about where that show stands in history.

BD 1979-overrated. Great horns, and clean, but that drill? ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

And my favorite show ever, Phantom 78 ain't even on the list.

And you are the expert on drill, Mr. Pit! :tongue:

Edited by flugelswerebugels

And you are the expert on drill, Mr. Pit! :tongue:

Those spirals at the end of "Free" were amazing! nobody at that time was doing anything even close. The broadcast coverage didn't catch it too well, but being at many of the same shows as BD, and (obviously) going on well before them, we practically memorized that show.

I am surprised that SCV 1974 isn't listed. Maybe it's just me, but I think that is one of the best of all time.