What's going on with drum books?

Your rationale would make sense except that most lines are standing or barely moving in the last two measures. In fact, most have resorted to arms up, slamming the drum head with flams, and accentuating the action by getting up on their tip-toes.

The exclamation point is the part that's irritating. Every darn piece of music doesn't need an exclamation point! There aren't many (any?) original pieces that have an exclamation point at the end. Some corps arrange a building drive that begins 8 or more bars from the end, then they stop and play quarter note explanation points in the last 1 or 2 bars. And so many corps are doing it now! And yet they've been running at 220 bpm for years!

Come on, all, there's got to be a better reason that makes sense.

the drum books are written according to what the horn book demands. if the horn book ends with an exclamation point, so does the drum book. i think you're focusing your anger at the wrong group of arrangers...

Your rationale would make sense except that most lines are standing or barely moving in the last two measures. In fact, most have resorted to arms up, slamming the drum head with flams, and accentuating the action by getting up on their tip-toes.

The exclamation point is the part that's irritating. Every darn piece of music doesn't need an exclamation point! There aren't many (any?) original pieces that have an exclamation point at the end. Some corps arrange a building drive that begins 8 or more bars from the end, then they stop and play quarter note explanation points in the last 1 or 2 bars. And so many corps are doing it now! And yet they've been running at 220 bpm for years!

Come on, all, there's got to be a better reason that makes sense.

Tchaicovsky is the Ted Nugent of classical music. His ending start like 20 pages in the score before the end. i.e. Symphony #4, 1812 Overture, etc..

Plenty of exclamation there.

Well, I'll tell you one thing...SCV had a kick-### drum book...I thought they were better than many lines "above" them scores wise. But I have a feeling they were dinged for not playing enough flam patterns. Show me another line that's playing 4 on a hand like SCV.

Maybe they should have added flam drags along with some monkey drumming?

I think that Dennis Deluccia put it best when he inferred that a perc arranger is at the mercy of the brass arranger. Let's face it - you don't write a drum book and then hand it to the brass guy and say " Here you go - write something that fits this". It's usually the other way around.

Why do you think they do it?

They do it to cover up the brass lines inability to execute a clean cut off. Cymbal rolls helps cover that up. Most hornlines are great at cut offs but the cymbals are a default, in a sense, in case something goes bad.

They do it to cover up the brass lines inability to execute a clean cut off. Cymbal rolls helps cover that up. Most hornlines are great at cut offs but the cymbals are a default, in a sense, in case something goes bad.

It was a rhetorical question, but yes, this is what I was alluding to.

Let's face it - you don't write a drum book and then hand it to the brass guy and say " Here you go - write something that fits this". It's usually the other way around.

We need to work on that little problem...

:blink::mat::thumbup::blink::mat::blink:

Edited by KeyboardGuy

I have to say I like the old and the new. The new are really playing some engaging patterns to the music of today. I have notice where we would have rest during the old school years they play 16 notes RR LL RR LL. I don't have a problem with that at all. As for the ending there is a bit of showmanship these young bucks are expected to display. I would give them a break on this. I think the lines and arrangers of today should be proud of what they are doing. It's not necesarily better than what we did, but its not worst. Personally I would give anything to be 20 years younger to play Phantom 2008 book or be part of Bluecoats snare line 2008. Man I Loved what those guys did. Give em credit, they fought for it.