Capital Brass

Hello all. I'm a newbie to this forum, and was told to come here to learn more about drum corps. A friend of mine plays with the Capital Brass, and I'm thinking of joining them. THey sound absolutely amazing and I'm told they're going from doing mostly parades and professional stuff to being a Class A corps. Now, I know there have been other drum corps in the Albany, NY area, and unfortunately none have really done that well. Nothing against the Capital Brass guys, but is it possible that this group will become a great field corps?

Hello all. I'm a newbie to this forum, and was told to come here to learn more about drum corps. A friend of mine plays with the Capital Brass, and I'm thinking of joining them. THey sound absolutely amazing and I'm told they're going from doing mostly parades and professional stuff to being a Class A corps. Now, I know there have been other drum corps in the Albany, NY area, and unfortunately none have really done that well. Nothing against the Capital Brass guys, but is it possible that this group will become a great field corps?

I march with one of the other corps in the Capital district of New York, we are the only competing class A corps in the of is area. Capital Brass is a great mini corps and exhibition/parade corps. Can they become a great field corps? Honestly it depends on how hard they and their membership are willing to work. Your first year out you will usually get your head handed to you. The members of my corps, this being our first year out, worked our tails off to get on the field and put on a show. I can honestly say I cried when we finally did it because, honestly, its a lot of work and I am just a low level staff member (assistant with whatever administration help they need)

As for being a competing class A corps:

1. You need to be evaluated by DCA by June first(I do believe someone may correct that)

- Things like paper work, etc.

2. You need a minimum of THIRTY FIVE (35 35 35) members to compete in DCA. (This is involved in the evaluation I do believe but is one of the most common reasons people dont compete.

Anyway any more questions feel free to get a hold of me. Always like to help newbies, especially in my area. :tongue:

Hmmmmmm..... :tongue:

Chang,

To the best of my knowledge you will not see Capital Brass become a field corps. The best way to learn about CB is to visit their website at http://www.capitalbrass.org/home.htm. :tongue:

Chang,

To the best of my knowledge you will not see Capital Brass become a field corps. The best way to learn about CB is to visit their website at http://www.capitalbrass.org/home.htm. :thumbup:

Site looks good to me. I really do hope they do something like that. I mean, I'd love to do some of the professional gigs that they do (like the Saratoga Race Track and I saw them in a couple parades in the area). I just wanna be part of something bigger than me that's going to grow, and have fun while doing it!

The fact that Tom has not responded to this thread should tell you something.

What I'm wondering is why all these public questions?

If you have friend that plays there, why not go to the practices and meet the guys?

Why not contact Tom directly?

He has made that very easy through links on the CB website and is very open about what CB is and is not.

The fact that Tom has not responded to this thread should tell you something.

What I'm wondering is why all these public questions?

If you have friend that plays there, why not go to the practices and meet the guys?

Why not contact Tom directly?

He has made that very easy through links on the CB website and is very open about what CB is and is not.

Probably because Tom's been on vacation this whole week and isn't back until later today, which is also why we didn't have a rehearsal this past week. Besides, the kid's probably looking for the opinion of people other than members of the corps. You go to Yankee Stadium and ask upper managment who they think the best team is baseball is, you're probably going to get some biased answers. Personally, I'm glad he's asking around. That way, he can see that we're not just tooting our horn (no pun intended) on our website.

Edited by Andrew Bisnett

"IF" we were to go forward with this idea, and that's a big "if", I recall that we had a show already written for the season that the field corps ceased to be. That would be a positive step in the right direction, should this occur. Mind you, I'm not confirming or denying anything... :blink: