Remebering Lothar

Cross posted (with Pictures) at Centrisity

http://centrisity.blogspot.com/2009/09/rem...-ago-today.html

This weekend can not over shadow the reality of what happened this day four years ago. Joel 'Lothar' Magnuson, of the Racine Kilties, collapsed during the opener of their Preliminary performance on Saturday, September 3, 2005. Although they were able to re-establish a heart beat when the ambulance left the stadium, he was later pronounced at the hospital.

In 2005, my last performance on the field prior to this year, I was a performing member of the Govenaires. I was in the concourse when I heard what happened, and ran down the stairs to see a lone mellophone laying on the field, and Lothar being worked on just off the 50.

Joel was my bus seat partner in the Blue Stars. That 1980 season was bitter sweet as we just missed finals by placing 13th. Joel and I stayed in touch over the years, and when the Kilties returned, he was a charter member of the re-surging All Age corps. I always looked forward to the Drum Corps season, and an opportunity to visit with my good friend, belt out dirty songs while swigging the beverage of our choice, and taking no prisoners in the process.

Joel was buried in his Uniform, but ribbons cut from the plaid of the very uniform he was wearing that day were made available to those in attendance. On my memorial wall, I have a tribute to Lothar, with the ribbon taped to the obituary with his photo. Before I left for the weekend, I took that picture down, and clipped a small piece from the plaid. I taped it to the brim of my shako, where I will be able to look up, and pay tribute to my fallen brother, before I step off on this historic weekend.

Joel, you are deeply missed and never forgotten. I toast to you often, and think of you repeatedly. Know you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers this weekend. And when I take the field, both Saturday and Sunday, you will be with me, in spirit and in uniform.

My Saturday performance is dedicated to you, brother, my first DCA on the field since you left us. I will commit to not letting you down.

For All We Know

Flash

How bittersweet to see this post on the way to my drum corps rehearsal.

Lothar and I didn't see eye to eye on everything, but I loved the guy just the same, and that fateful day is forever seared into my memory.

Goodnight drum corps man.

I still have my snare sticks in which a piece of the plaid taken from the funeral was applied to the back end of the sticks for prelims the next year in Hurricane Ernesto. I'll never forget looking up at Jeff Thomas the DM waiting for the second chart to start and wondering what was happening because I couldn't see Lothar from my dot.

10422_712176425838_26718185_40870907_556393_n.jpg

Edited by Perc_Instructor

Well said Flash.

Like you, I think of Lothar often. I remember his dedication and that he missed fewer gigs than anyone in his 13 years with the All-Age Kilties. I remember the joy he took in teaching music and marching to the little Racine Junior Scout kids. I remember his laughter, even when he was supposed to be being quite. I remember his unmatched wit and infectious smile. I remember his world famous mostacolli and his Paloozas at Amelias. I remember him shirtless and shoeless with black jeans. I remember his dirty spats. I remember his musicianship and his ability to peal paint with a mellophone. I remember his keen interest in current events and politics. I remember his extensive knowledge of world history and diverse tastes in music. I remember his love for his beloved Green Bay Packers and Milwaukee Brewers. I remember him leading the Kiltie Khoir. I remember him running across a football field full speed because that is a sight that you just can’t forget.

I miss my brother Lothar terribly, but I still feel his spirit.

WWBD!

I miss my brother Lothar terribly, but I still feel his spirit.

WWBD!

+ + +

Lothar was truly "one of a kind". He was an incredibly intelligent person that had an absolutely insane sense of humor and wit. His knowledge of history and current events was stunning.

There are so many Lothar stories, but I'll attempt to tell one here. The scene was Woodstock, IL in 2002 in a horn arc before the parade. 2002 was an awful year for the Kilties. It was the smallest corps and most of the members detested the music. The instructor that was fronting the line that morning lectured the brassline that the piece that we were rehearsing was the prettiest and best piece of music that they heard that year by 90% of the judges. Lothar immediately bellowed out that there are a lot of people that think Slim Whitman was a musical genius and nearly all the French think that Jerry Lewis was the greatest comic genius. So it's all relative.

I miss the guy so much.

Edited by Racineguy

There is a Finals Picture of CorpsVets (I forget which year) has Lothar standing in the background with his shirt off looking over the balcony. I would have never known this if Cozy wasn't standing in my living room looking at all my CV stuff and said, " Hey, that's Lothar!" Interesting tie in. Thinking of them and all those that have gone before us to pave the way in an amazing drum corps story. My best to you all this weekend.

Jonathan Thomas

I too remember that night back in 05. Al Cunningham and I were in the stands and excited that the Kilts were rippin it up during the opener when someone went down. At first we thought someone had just tripped but then realized he didn't get back up. Only when the crowd starting yelling at the DM did we know something was terribly wrong. We did not know it was Lothar until we went out to the parking lot and talked with our Kiltie brothers.

Lothar was unique to say the least. But that he loved drum corps and the KILTS was without question. We had our run-ins from time to time but always seemed to "forgit a bout it" over another beer (or two). I too miss him and every DCA Championship reminds me of Joel. I can still hear him singing to us on the way to the stadium before every show..."on with the show this is it..."!

R.I.P. my Kilted brother. WWBD.

Kemo