I&E Scores?

G-horns

What is irritating to me about snare individuals is that the rules apparently do not apply. No offense to Bill because he is a really nice guy, but he used a cowbell in his solo that was mounted on his snare. John had recorded music, etc in his solo. The rules clearly state that such things are not allowed, but yet the judges overlook it. Why have rules in place if they are not enforced? Just saying.

:rolleyes:

Was wondering these things for a while

before we get to the point of accusations... I believe Dick Pronti is unavailable this week for clarifications...

You are assuming that a cow bell is a second piece of percussion equipment. I'm willing to bet that the ruling was that two snares would be a second piece. A cow bell is a quite common accessory item being used in its "quite normal" configuration ...

I'm sure Dick will chime in when he can.

:rolleyes:

Was wondering these things for a while

And you were hoping for LESS COWBELL? I don't think so!

before we get to the point of accusations... I believe Dick Pronti is unavailable this week for clarifications...

You are assuming that a cow bell is a second piece of percussion equipment. I'm willing to bet that the ruling was that two snares would be a second piece. A cow bell is a quite common accessory item being used in its "quite normal" configuration ...

I'm sure Dick will chime in when he can.

Actually, I had typed multiple percussive instruments in my edited post but DCP was having issues today. As far as I knew, until just now, my post was not submitted. Perhaps the site was being worked on or something. :sleeping:

I do hope that Dick will chime in because I am not the only one curious about this. There needs to be some clarification for those wanting to participate next year. For example, a cowbell is a common accessory, but is still a percussive instrument.

For every year since the I&E was estabished Ron Schaefer, Donna Ernst brother -in -law has run the snare venue. This year he retired and there were two new venue people.

I had to check the rules with John Stouffer DCA percussion chief, accessories are allowed on a snare. They have been used before.

No recorded music should have been allowed. This is a disqualification. I am not sure why the venue people allowed it.

All rules are made to allow for the most contestants as poosible. It is the DCA's idea to give a free night of Drum Corps entertainment.

If you ever have a specific question just e-mail me,

Edited by Rap48

Thanks Dick

As always, you have an honest and complete answer.

And you were hoping for LESS COWBELL? I don't think so!

I would NEVER do such a thing!

And I find this slander truly absurd and I am deeply hurt!

Besides I was just trying to make it clear, and now that it is I look forward to more cowbell focused snare solos

(just kidding :sleeping: )

Thanks for the clarification, Dick. You rock! :sleeping: The "accessories" thing has been a gray area which I've steered away from since I wasn't previously sure.

When the accessories are in the multiples then I question whether they are still accessory to the solo. It's then I wonder if a given snare or tenor solo should be more appropriately entered as a drum set or multi-percussion solo (if there were a category like that in DCA).

No recorded music should have been allowed. This is a disqualification. I am not sure why the venue people allowed it.

Rule #7 of the percussion rules do state no recorded music is allowed. However, it doesn't state such use would result in disqualification so one would assume (I know what happens when we assume) it defaults to the general rule of "One point will be assessed for every rule infraction". Might want to entertain revising the language to discourage the use of recorded music in percussion categories as it was used in both the tenor and snare venues.

In my opinion, if you can't march with it on the field, it doesn't belong on the stage. Something like a cowbell mounted to a snare or a set of quads doesn't bother me, but the last two years have been a farce in the Quad category. I&E is about showcasing individual talent, not mass-marketing.

Edited by EmpireQuad

This year there were 7 venues going at once. I

can not see every venue as a matter of fact there is usually 100 other things to do so I get to see very very little.

I am always looking for ways to improve the contest and am always willing to listen. I don't know what has happened at the Quad contest. No one has ever complained before.

If you have a specific complain e-mail me or at write an let me know what you think could be better.

I prefer to discuss somethings in private rather than discuss a contestants program.

Rap48@aol.com

Edited by Rap48