Minicorps reviews?

NO NO!!! The good kind of cool!!! Sorry for the misconception. All of the other mini corps all welcomed us with open arms and congratulated our performance. I thought it was awful nice that the Star United corps came out from behind the stage to watch our show and gave us the thumbs up.

Everything that night was purely in the spirit of DCA minicorps.

I even found a great little cigar store strangely enough called the Cigar Factory. Very nice people who run the place and they turned me on to this Italian Bakery Martusciello's on Lyell near the 390, that makes amazing sandwiches and strombolis. I think you would have to get about 6 or 7 Subway sands to get close to what Martusciello's puts into one medium 5 buck sandwich!

As I said, the only drawback was the lack of restaurants open after the shows.

Dude, you guys were completely "Lights Out!" I wore out my bootleg audio and video tape of your '83 show and spent the better part of my teenage years in front of the bathroom mirror pretending to be your soprano soloist! I nearly wet myself Friday night when you guys starting playing your show. I felt 15 again and giddy as a school girl. "What is Hip" completely rocked and I thought you brought the house down. Chris Nalls warned us all about you guys and he was right! It was awesome!!

MCL warmed up on the street next to us outside the convention center and we got to sample some of their chili including a run of MacArthur's Park. I'm not sure what went on inside with them, but if they were half as intense as they were in the street, it must have been mythical. Of course the soloists are top notch, but they had a great hornline behind them in the arc. It was the perfect piece for them and they were setting off car alarms throughout downtown.

Mass Brass had tremendous balance and execution. Great charts played by great people. They had a lot of movement going on and offered a full package of great music and showmanship. We saw them from the back of the stage, so I can only imagine what it must have been like from the "business end" of Mass Brass.

I didn't get to see GR, but they have YouTube video up and "Red Pony" was incredible. Great presence and ensemble balance throughout. They served up a strong quality product through and through. They also continued their tradition of precision with Donny serving up some strong old school swagger and showmanship.

T-Birds and Renegades were sorely missed. They would have made a great night even better. It was an outstanding lineup and the crowd was tremendously responsive to the corps.

A great night for DCA and a perfect way to pop the cork on the weekend of championships!!!

Edited by Scooter Pirtle

NO NO!!! The good kind of cool!!! Sorry for the misconception. All of the other mini corps all welcomed us with open arms and congratulated our performance. I thought it was awful nice that the Star United corps came out from behind the stage to watch our show and gave us the thumbs up.

Everything that night was purely in the spirit of DCA minicorps.

I even found a great little cigar store strangely enough called the Cigar Factory. Very nice people who run the place and they turned me on to this Italian Bakery Martusciello's on Lyell near the 390, that makes amazing sandwiches and strombolis. I think you would have to get about 6 or 7 Subway sands to get close to what Martusciello's puts into one medium 5 buck sandwich!

As I said, the only drawback was the lack of restaurants open after the shows.

interesting... you found the bakery but didn't realize next door was a 24 hour hangout with great food? Steve T's? after the show I went to Friendly's one block was of the bakery... you went to the right area...

We were all very pleased to welcome the Freelancers - you made a great impression on and off the stage...

Dude, you guys were completely "Lights Out!" I wore out my bootleg audio and video tape of your '83 show and spent the better part of my teenage years in front of the bathroom mirror pretending to be your soprano soloist! I nearly wet myself Friday night when you guys starting playing your show. I felt 15 again and giddy as a school girl. "What is Hip" completely rocked and I thought you brought the house down. Chris Nalls warned us all about you guys and he was right! It was awesome!!

Hi Scooter,

I don't know you in person, but I do know of you. Thanks so much. The thumbs up from your Star crew, after the show really meant a lot to the Freelancers. They were so stoked that you guys came out to hear us play.

Thanks so much.

Ronny

interesting... you found the bakery but didn't realize next door was a 24 hour hangout with great food? Steve T's? after the show I went to Friendly's one block was of the bakery... you went to the right area...

We were all very pleased to welcome the Freelancers - you made a great impression on and off the stage...

Hi Tom,

Dang I should've asked you. I didn't ask the guy at the Cigar Factory about all night places. But he did say that I will get the best "sangwich" in the world at the bakery, and he was right. I saw the place next door. Steve T's Hots?? What the heck are hots? I am assuming hot dogs. If I had known it was open 24 hours, I would've made the drive. Didn't have one dog while I was there.

There's always next year.

Thanks

Ronny

Frank - I guess we were all so entertaining that nobody wants to comment....

Anyway, to paraphrase what I stated in another post:

On behalf of my fellow members of Skyliners AluMINI, I'd like to congratulate Star United on yet another untouchable performance and their win in this year's minicorps competition.

And a hat's off to all the competitors - great job and I hope you had half as much fun as we did.

This was Skyliner AluMINI's first real public showing and we really didn't know what to expect - thank you to all the other minicorps members who expressed their best wishes as we prepared back stage and waited to go on.

We owe a special thanks to the audience - all hard-core drumcorps fans, and most of whom had no idea what to expect from us. Their reaction to our show was probably the most humbling and gratifying experience I've ever had in my many years in drumcorps - we were only too happy to entertain you all.

See you next year.

I am very proud of the Ghost Riders performance, and I accept the placement. After Star, it was going to be a crap shoot as we all already knew. Every mini corps brought their best, and the judges were all over the place with the next 4 corps. GR has turned the corner musically and I also believe that we entertained as well as any.

Congrats to Star United once again for bringing their "A" game. Entertainment can be looked in many ways and all of the corps had something different to offer. The true winners were the 3000+ fans from the alumni's, the competition corps and straight drum corps fans...they won the show on Friday night. It was so much fun performing for that very enthusiastic crowd of drum corps die hards!

Donny

Edited by donnymusic