How come I never see this?

En929

Drum corps attracts fans because of the excellence level out on the field. Pop music just isn't something you can excel at... and it's just awkward for drum corps... it doesn't work, I don't like it... if someone proves that they can do it well, let me see, and maybe I'll change my mind but it has yet to happen. Anyway, pop music nowadays is ####### stupid. I can't even listen to the radio unless it is classic rock or the classical/jazz station. Plus there is just no emotion to put out there with today's popular music... in fact none of today's popular music has "beats" that haven't been done 20 gagillion times before. It's either just a over done beat with new lyrics about beating girlfriends, or just strumming out the same chord 20 times then going to the IV chord the V chord... then back to I... rinse and repeat... blah blah blah.. my life sucks.

Do you know what I want to hear? Real music, some jazz, metheny=yum, some powerful classics... there is some great classical music that hasn't been touched by drum corps.

I'm ranting and not making a point.. but we do need a change from the boring composed for drum corps music... #### SCV and Key... they've been doing that new stuff he composes that all sounds the same and boring... except 04/09... and those are some of my favorite SCV shows. We need more of this... not popular tunes and some pretty awful beats... that is why there are college marching bands, and southern show style bands... we don't need more of them.

It can be done. Every version of Bohemian Rhapsody I've ever heard attempted by any corps or band was painful at best. Then Crown did it and Ahhh WONDERFUL I Loved IT!! Proven! :thumbup::tongue:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drum corps attracts fans because of the excellence level out on the field. Pop music just isn't something you can excel at... and it's just awkward for drum corps... it doesn't work, I don't like it... if someone proves that they can do it well, let me see, and maybe I'll change my mind but it has yet to happen. Anyway, pop music nowadays is ####### stupid. I can't even listen to the radio unless it is classic rock or the classical/jazz station. Plus there is just no emotion to put out there with today's popular music... in fact none of today's popular music has "beats" that haven't been done 20 gagillion times before. It's either just a over done beat with new lyrics about beating girlfriends, or just strumming out the same chord 20 times then going to the IV chord the V chord... then back to I... rinse and repeat... blah blah blah.. my life sucks.

Do you know what I want to hear? Real music, some jazz, metheny=yum, some powerful classics... there is some great classical music that hasn't been touched by drum corps.

I'm ranting and not making a point.. but we do need a change from the boring composed for drum corps music... #### SCV and Key... they've been doing that new stuff he composes that all sounds the same and boring... except 04/09... and those are some of my favorite SCV shows. We need more of this... not popular tunes and some pretty awful beats... that is why there are college marching bands, and southern show style bands... we don't need more of them.

Ok, I grant that some of today's pop music isn't as good as it was before 2000. I too don't like to hear all of the music with the disrespectful lyrics about violence and hurting people, etc. I truly hate that kind of music.

It's odd that the further back one goes back, going from the 90s to the 80s to the 70s, the better the pop music has been. But hey, lets just take from those eras. I like to hear jazz, classical, and I never said that I don't want to hear that and never said the drum corps shouldn't play it. But, I'm just saying lets not forget to play some bop too. It'll add more to the show. And yes, in all the music should be good.

Crossmen played "My Humps" in 2006. I think the hornline played one note.

if you can call it a note...

Ok, I grant that some of today's pop music isn't as good as it was before 2000. I too don't like to hear all of the music with the disrespectful lyrics about violence and hurting people, etc. I truly hate that kind of music.

It's odd that the further back one goes back, going from the 90s to the 80s to the 70s, the better the pop music has been. But hey, lets just take from those eras. I like to hear jazz, classical, and I never said that I don't want to hear that and never said the drum corps shouldn't play it. But, I'm just saying lets not forget to play some bop too. It'll add more to the show. And yes, in all the music should be good.

okay, what do you mean by bop... name a time period, or some groups you'd like to hear on the field.

Today's popular music, in my opinion, seems much too simple to create a substantial product not only to appease the current drum corps fans, but also mainstream listeners. Designers could only do so much, in regards to arranging, in adapting a song of a beat, drone sounds, and a singer.

Yes, I agree that some pop music of today might not be good or even workable on the field. And as I said in another post, the further back one goes before 2000, the better the music. Hence, there are those pop and bop tunes that are doable on the field and there are some that are not.

okay, what do you mean by bop... name a time period, or some groups you'd like to hear on the field.

By bop I was meaning groove. Some groups that might sound good might be Stevie Wonder, the Beatles, Lionell Richie (Velvet Knights did this in the 80s and it rocked),Quad City group, A-ha, Cameo, Boyz to Men, La Bounche, OJays, Kool n' the Gang, the Miracles, I'll probaby be here all year naming good groups lol. But, such are examples of groups who put out songs that can be doable on the field. Ok, I'm aware of copyright issues, but I'm imagining what would happen if drum corps constantly played the music of THESE groups. OMG how exciting!!!

Today's popular music, in my opinion, seems much too simple to create a substantial product not only to appease the current drum corps fans, but also mainstream listeners. Designers could only do so much, in regards to arranging, in adapting a song of a beat, drone sounds, and a singer.

Which is exactly why Spirit's design team chose the music of Kansas. Their music is much more complex than many people think. Just listen to a few songs with a theoretic mind, and your mind will be blown at all the nuances of the music, and at the individual talent of the musicians.

The complexity of Kansas's music gave Scott Boerma lots of opportunities to write a very intricate musical book, and Journey From Mariabronn was, from a technical demand and vertical alignment standpoint, one of the more difficult pieces on the field.

to see/hear what i am talking about.... 2008 Riverside Community College Marching Tigers..... give that a try...

I agree, the design team at Riverside Community College (AKA Blue Devils-South or Fantasia Winterguard with winds and percussion accompaniment) is pretty great at piecing together a high-energy, entertaining show.

While I wouldn't want to see each drum corps mimic that style, I wouldn't mind hearing some of those arrangements on the field, either.

The year before "The Beatles" was "007", by the way. "Moulin Rouge" was the year before (my favorite show from them).

It can be done. Every version of Bohemian Rhapsody I've ever heard attempted by any corps or band was painful at best. Then Crown did it and Ahhh WONDERFUL I Loved IT!! Proven!

Yicch. They completely missed it.