John (Jack) Pratt

I spoke with Jack as well on Saturday in Rochester and am saddened to learn of his current plight. Jack holds a special place in my heart as he worked me hard to make Hawthorne's snare line. Even though he did tie my hands to my drum because I was playing too high and even though he never let me forget the time I was late for drum line practice at camp because I needed to finish brushing my teeth..LOL! Jack, I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers and will be happy to donate blood if I am a match.

Vince T. Marchese

An update:

Dear Friends,

Thank you to everyone for all your powerful prayers and your comforting words. Our Faith in God is truly what has been lifting our hearts and allowing us to get through this medical crisis. I have read each of your emails personally, which I will be printing for Dad at the hospital. We have received and continue to receive email messages and phone calls from friends who have known my father for your entire lifetimes, as well as those who have met him in more recent years and developed great friendships and still others who have not yet personally met my Dad, but who have cared deeply and sincerely enough to include him in their personal prayers for healing and full recovery. We are lifted by all your love and support! Your earnest prayers are still much needed!

We did get some good news on Monday 9/14 - Slight improvement, after three days of high fever and infection.

Additional good news on Tuesday 9/15 - More improvement. Fever reduced. Sedation and air ventilator removed. Now Dad was awake and able to talk with us clearly today for the first time in days. This has brought great relief to us, knowing that God is responding with His Healing Grace to everyone's prayers.

The doctors and nurses remind us that this is only the beginning of his lengthy recovery. Dad will remain on antibiotics and monitored in the Intensive Care Unit.

Thank you for your continuing prayers, love and support! You are all family to us!!!

Please forward to those I've missed with a copy to me, so I can add them to Dad's address book. Thanks.

Sincerely,

Joanie Pratt

973-949-3233 or 201-410-2162

Thanks for the update...good to hear he's heading in the right direction.

Fran

Thanks for the update...good to hear he's heading in the right direction.

Fran

thank god for that. :rolleyes:

I'm sad to hear Jack is having some problems. Hopefully he's on the road to recovery.

Just the other day, I was going through some mementos that had been stored away for a long time. Many years ago, Jack was hired by TCI in Rochester, NY to teach the drum line. He also took time to get me started as a drummer. I still have the sticks he gave me to learn with. I remember the lessons on which he worked with me on Don Brown's back porch. Even then, as I was just a dumb kid, I knew that Jack was truly a great man and a great instructor. Because the corps needed horn players, I switched from drumming to the horn. The rest is history but I'll always remember those times with Jack.

Please send Jack my best wishes for a speedy recovery. He probably will not remember me but I marched in the 1966-67 NY Kingsmen (Bronx) while Jack was the drum instructor.

As one of so many drummers who responded to Jack's unbelieveable desire to excel,

my heart and prayers go out to him and the family. He not only made me a better

drummer, he made me a better person. I'm sure he'll beat this because he does not

know how to give in, or give up. I saw him recently and I can't believe that he's sick.

That's not his style. God Bless him and the family to a speedy recovery.

As one of so many drummers who responded to Jack's unbelieveable desire to excel,

my heart and prayers go out to him and the family. He not only made me a better

drummer, he made me a better person. I'm sure he'll beat this because he does not

know how to give in, or give up. I saw him recently and I can't believe that he's sick.

That's not his style. God Bless him and the family to a speedy recovery.

Here's the latest update.

Dear Drumming Comrades & Friends,

Thank you for your continuing prayers for my Dad, John S. Pratt! You have given us all strength and comfort with your calls and emails.

After getting through the first three to four days of uncertainty and weeklong stay in the Intensive Care Unit, Dad has been improving slightly in the recent days. The antibiotics appear to have fought the strep bacteria in his bloodstream. The extreme shock from the infection and the toxins released by the bacteria into his body have, for the moment, prevented his kidneys from functioning with full normalcy. He has had to endure several dialysis treatments during the past week, which are tiring. We're optimistic that this is a temporary situation and ask for your prayers for Dad's complete recovery and return of full function to his kidneys. I have been printing all of your emails and bringing them to the hospital to read to Dad. Mom has been receiving cards and letters at home and bringing those to Dad. The stories, prayers and well-wishes are very uplifting to Dad. Your LOVE gives him strength and encouragement.

Dad was moved on September 18th out of the ICU, though he still has many critical needs and a long road to recovery. He may receive visitors at the hospital for those who would like to visit him; I'm sure he would love to greet guests. At some point he is expected to need physical therapy and may be moved to a rehabilitation center as a progressing step in his recovery. He is currently at the Valley Hospital at 223 North Van Dien Avenue, Ridgewood, NJ 07450. Call 201-447-8000 for information.

Online Link for Directions to the Valley Hospital: http://www.valleyhealth.com/uploadedFiles/...%20Hospital.pdf

Cards and Letters may be mailed to:

John S. "Jack" Pratt

175 Westervelt Avenue

Hawthorne, New Jersey 07506

Phone calls can be made to:

Joan Pratt (wife) 973-427-4732

Joanie Pratt (daughter) 973-949-3233 or 201-410-2162

Please forward to others, for whom I do not have email addresses. Please let me know of any others I can add to Dad's Address Book. For those of you who are on the email list, please email your phone numbers and home mailing addresses to me, also for addition to my Dad's address book. THANK YOU!!!

GOD BLESS YOU ALL AND THANK YOU FOR YOUR LOVE AND SUPPORT!!!

Sincerely,

Joanie Pratt

(Jack's daughter)