Rookie Drum Majors?

How often does this happen? I was looking at Phantom's site and they said that conductor spots are open to everyone and it got me thinking, how often do we see rookies at the drum major position? I'd assume it's pretty rare, even for the assistant conductor(s).

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How often does this happen? I was looking at Phantom's site and they said that conductor spots are open to everyone and it got me thinking, how often do we see rookies at the drum major position? I'd assume it's pretty rare, even for the assistant conductor(s).

This past year, Madison's assistant conductor was a rookie.

He's a fellow Sinfonian from Murray State.

Crossmen had a rookie asst drum major and he was great. And he still has plenty of years left to lead that corps. Great thing.

Rookie DM's work. I don't know how common they are but it's not a bad thing. As long as they handle it the right way

SW's DM for 06 and 07 was a rookie in 06. Kelsey Hippen. #### good DM.

It was widely established before hand that the DM was a separately auditioned for position and that as far as the members were concerned, the buck stopped at the drum major.

drum majors don't always do a lot of ordering around...

I know a lot of majors just conduct, do wake up and lights out, and then help with admin or help with logistics.

This past year, Madison's assistant conductor was a rookie.

He's a fellow Sinfonian from Murray State.

blegh on Murray Straight.

/topic

Regiment had two veteran conductors age-out this year. I dunno if Chase will take over this year as head conductor or if someone else will get it. at least there's a chance of getting a position since two left. gotta be good to conduct Regiment though...

Yea, probably more common than you think, at least compared to high school. Like someone mentioned, more conducting, less ordering.