Percentage of rookie marchers in World Class Corps

We did have a lot of new members last year. Then we have members, like myself, who have marched for 3+ years for the Red Team.

Cavaliers had something like 75 rookies in 2007...which was high for them. So I would say 80 rookies in the Colts is probably about normal.

yea, very few "rookies" come to corps like cavs, devs, or cadets without some sort of D2, lower tier D1 experience...

yea, very few "rookies" come to corps like cavs, devs, or cadets without some sort of D2, lower tier D1 experience...

Hmm....i guess. I came in cold, and so did a lot of people I marched with...BUT, im not going to generalize my experience to say its always true...

Two primary factors for any corps. Age outs and retention rate. Other factors are usually arbitrary.

Here is some facts from academy where my brother has been marching.

Brass - 34/64

Baris - 2/6

Eughs - 8/14

Contras - 4/12

Mellos - 9/12

Trumpets - 10/20

DrumLine - 14/20

Tenors - 1/3

Bass - 4/5

Snares - 8/8

Plates - 1/4

Pit - 5/11

Guard - 11/33

DM/Handwaver - 1/3

OVERALL - 65/131

49.61%!!!

Here is some facts from academy where my brother has been marching.

Brass - 34/64

Baris - 2/6

Eughs - 8/14

Contras - 4/12

Mellos - 9/12

Trumpets - 10/20

DrumLine - 14/20

Tenors - 1/3

Bass - 4/5

Snares - 8/8

Plates - 1/4

Pit - 5/11

Guard - 11/33

DM/Handwaver - 1/3

OVERALL - 65/131

49.61%!!!

? what year is this?

because they definitely have never marched more Euphs then baritones.

last year. 2009.

In 2008 it was 10 Baris and 14 eughs 12 tubas 12 mellos 6 flugals and 24 trumpets = 78 (there was two holes at the end of the year. A trumpet and a flugal which brought it to 76)

In 2006 and 2007 it was 10 baris 10 eughs 10 tubas 10 mellos 6 flugals and 18 trumpets = 64

:worthy:

Edited by rdtrmpt

I would say that a "rookie" is anyone who has not experienced a full or partial drum corps summer tour. While I wouldn't consider a 3-year vet of an Open Class finalist a rookie, I would consider anyone coming from DCA to DCI a rookie simply because of the differences in lifestyle. From personal observations, I've noticed that nothing prepares you more for a summer of World Class drum corps than a previous summer of World Class drum corps. I will say I have seen more DCA vets struggle than DCI Open Class vets, though. But I'd consider anyone who hasn't marched in the ranks of a DCI member corps to be a "rookie" regardless of whether it's their first year with that particular corps.

Sometimes "rookie" refers to new members of a particular corps. Someone who has marched 5 years at Colts and then ages out with Carolina Crown or Cavaliers is a "rook-out" with that corps but by no means a "rookie" in the same sense as someone totally new to the drum corps idiom. While getting used to a new corps does take a period of adjustment (as practices, lifestyles, atmospheres, etc. differ greatly from team to team), at least the drum corps tour is nothing new.

Retention and age-out numbers are a primary contributor to the success of any drum corps simply because experience breeds chemistry. The right kind of chemistry pointed in the right direction is something to be feared. In this respect, I am excited for the 2010 Colts because I anticipate a very high retention rate amongst last year's first-year members. If the Colts want to improve their competitive success, large efforts will be needed to keep members at the Red Team. As with other corps in their tier, some members choose to move on. However, it's interesting to see that people who decide to come back to the corps or will march the corps until their age-out. There is a sort of loyalty from the membership but it would be helpful if the corps could do something to convince those age-outs to stay with the Red Team.

At Colts, there is a very low amount of discrimination against new members by veteran members; the only time seniority is taken into account is when choosing busses, there are no "rookie talent nights," etc. Because of this, it seems that new members are more quickly able to lock in with the veterans when it comes to executing the mission. I've heard of new members leaping through hurdles just to earn the right to say they march at XYZ corps. While Greg believes strongly that the only way to claim that you've marched with the Colts is to march Finals Week with the corps, there isn't any sort of discrimination during any part of the season prior. When you sign the contract, you are a part of the Colts family.

Lest we forget 2007 was a competitively successful season largely due to the chemistry of the corps, a huge age-out class, and the culmination of very aggressive recruiting/retention practices in past years.

Edited by DrillmanSop06

I would say that a "rookie" is anyone who has not experienced a full or partial drum corps summer tour. While I wouldn't consider a 3-year vet of an Open Class finalist a rookie, I would consider anyone coming from DCA to DCI a rookie simply because of the differences in lifestyle. From personal observations, I've noticed that nothing prepares you more for a summer of World Class drum corps than a previous summer of World Class drum corps. I will say I have seen more DCA vets struggle than DCI Open Class vets, though. But I'd consider anyone who hasn't marched in the ranks of a DCI member corps to be a "rookie" regardless of whether it's their first year with that particular corps.

Sometimes "rookie" refers to new members of a particular corps. Someone who has marched 5 years at Colts and then ages out with Carolina Crown or Cavaliers is a "rook-out" with that corps but by no means a "rookie" in the same sense as someone totally new to the drum corps idiom. While getting used to a new corps does take a period of adjustment (as practices, lifestyles, atmospheres, etc. differ greatly from team to team), at least the drum corps tour is nothing new.

Retention and age-out numbers are a primary contributor to the success of any drum corps simply because experience breeds chemistry. The right kind of chemistry pointed in the right direction is something to be feared. In this respect, I am excited for the 2010 Colts because I anticipate a very high retention rate amongst last year's first-year members. If the Colts want to improve their competitive success, large efforts will be needed to keep members at the Red Team. As with other corps in their tier, some members choose to move on. However, it's interesting to see that people who decide to come back to the corps or will march the corps until their age-out. There is a sort of loyalty from the membership but it would be helpful if the corps could do something to convince those age-outs to stay with the Red Team.

At Colts, there is a very low amount of discrimination against new members by veteran members; the only time seniority is taken into account is when choosing busses, there are no "rookie talent nights," etc. Because of this, it seems that new members are more quickly able to lock in with the veterans when it comes to executing the mission. I've heard of new members leaping through hurdles just to earn the right to say they march at XYZ corps. While Greg believes strongly that the only way to claim that you've marched with the Colts is to march Finals Week with the corps, there isn't any sort of discrimination during any part of the season prior. When you sign the contract, you are a part of the Colts family.

Lest we forget 2007 was a competitively successful season largely due to the chemistry of the corps, a huge age-out class, and the culmination of very aggressive recruiting/retention practices in past years.

I couldn't have said that better, Matt. Thank You!

Once a Colt, Always a Colt.

bump