Tuba Christmas

Shadow_7

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't really tell from the blurry photo, but it's probably one of the EEEb tubas the tuba prof at UW-Eau Claire put together. That's the only horn I know of that would be that size.

Possibly an ophicleide? There was a guy that brought one to the TubaChristmas at Brenham, TX a couple years ago. His wasn't that big, but I don't think there was really a standard, and they came in different sizes. My college band had a historic instrument collection with 2 of them in it, both of them way different from each other.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ophicleide

This link has a pic of one that looks closer to your picture, though still not as big:

http://www.contrabass.com/pages/ophicleide.html

And another link - about 1/5 down the page there is a pic of a guy playing one that seems to be about 5'-6' tall.

http://www.wcwband.co.uk/ophicleide.htm

Edited by nukeme70

Possibly an ophicleide?

Yep. Not sure which I hate more...the ophicleide or the sousaphone. Especially when they paint them or decorate them...with garlands and little flashing lights.

If you search for the video for Tuba Christmas Disneyland 2008 you can see the contra line we had last year. I hope we can get that many again.

A Norman/ HornsUP sighting in Milwaukee!

kennynme09.jpg

Not a very good picture, but it's a pic from rehearsal for Columbus, Ohio's TubaChristmas. 21951_1202150846580_1012831520_30489868_810531_n.jpg

On the front of the stage to the right of the photo, that is in fact a helicon. But head to the back row, and on the right side of the frame, next to all of the Sousaphones, you'll see two contras. Turns out a guy from Blue Stars brought his massive King 1151 Bb contra, and I brought my little old Dyansty II from Cincinnati Tradition. Needless to say, playing a two valve G bugle is almost impossible when most of the music is set for Bb horns, which means lots and lots of Bb, Eb, and some Ab and Db haha.

Tuba Christmas Austin 2009

tc.png

200 Tubas and Euphs. Nothing to exotic. One double bell euphonium. A couple marching baritones. No contras. Lots in the audience this year since it fell on a week day (monday). There were 212 performers last year and virtually no audience. I've got most of it up on youtube, albeit highly compressed due to my dialup connection.

If you search for the video for Tuba Christmas Disneyland 2008 you can see the contra line we had last year. I hope we can get that many again.

How'd it turn out this year?

I like the year (07?) where there were a lot of contra ripples in the background!

We had over 500 this year. I think we had about 14 contras. Of course we were doing ripples.

Tuba Christmas Disneyland 2009

Only in SoCal can you get a sunburn at Tuba Christmas. :tongue:

Edited by tubadon