What Are The Best Brass Instruments?

What are your thoughts on the best brass instruments? (e.g. best sound, biggest sound, best intonation, most durability, highest resale, etc.)

Aside from this being what I think is an interesting topic; my reason for asking is that the Cascades are purchasing new brass instruments this year. Because the Cascades are not limited by preexisting sponsorship arrangements, all manufacturers are open for consideration. So, I am going to be signing a purchase contract for new horns with someone.

Here is a sampling of corps and the instruments they use.

• Cascades: Dynasty
  • Blue Devils: King in 2010; Dynasty in past years
  • Glassmen: Dynasty
  • Carolina Crown: Yamaha
  • Cadets: Yamaha
  • Cavaliers: Yamaha
  • Phantom Regiment: Juniper

I look forward to you observations on corps' brass-lines, your experiences, and value judgments.

Mike Bujnowski, Board President

Northwest Youth Music Association

(Cascades Drum Corps)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are your thoughts on the best brass instruments? (e.g. best sound, biggest sound, best intonation, most durability, highest resale, etc.)

Aside from this being what I think is an interesting topic; my reason for asking is that the Cascades are purchasing new brass instruments this year. Because the Cascades are not limited by preexisting sponsorship arrangements, all manufacturers are open for consideration. So, I am going to be signing a purchase contract for new horns with someone.

Here is a sampling of corps and the instruments they use.

• Cascades: Dynasty
  • Blue Devils: King in 2010; Dynasty in past years
  • Glassmen: Dynasty
  • Carolina Crown: Yamaha
  • Cadets: Yamaha
  • Cavaliers: Yamaha
  • Phantom Regiment: Jupiter.

I look forward to you observations on corps' brass-lines, your experiences, and value judgments.

Mike Bujnowski, Board President

Northwest Youth Music Association

(Cascades Drum Corps)

Fixed.

Kanstul.

/thread

1. King

3. Kanstul

4. Yamaha / Dynasty

10. Jupiter

I really don't like Jupiters and I really like Kings.

I must ask if it's just me or do Yamaha horns sound a little thin? I personally have a Yamaha Custom, which I find lacks the rich tones I favor, thus this could be clouding my judgement on the marching horns. I also date back to the "G-horn" area, which I am sure sways my judgement.

So, what do others think of Yamaha and King.

Mike

Crown uses Yamahas. They have the best sound in DCI right now. All around I'd go with yamaha over Kings. They are a little more sensible. Kings are definetely "big boy horns" and that's not just because they are big horns. But their marching line and their "professional" really aren't too comparable, except for the xeno of course. Yamaha and King hornlines sound the best. I've never heard a Kanstul Bb line (i think) but I hear they are pretty expensive. The yamaha makes sense for a growing corps, plus the company will really work with the corps to make sure you have everything you need.

Suggestion:

Talk to some brass caption heads and admins of corps. I'm sure they can give you great feedback along with what we can give on here.

Kings are my favorite though. Those big horns create the darkest sounds in DCI right now.

1. King

3. Kanstul

4. Yamaha / Dynasty

10. Jupiter

I really don't like Jupiters and I really like Kings.

You put Dynasty and Yamaha on the same level?

I would have Dynasty about 50 spots below Jupiters, and Jupiters just above Yamaha, but still below King.