What Are The Best Brass Instruments?

I'm a percussionist so my opinion doesn't count for much. Do all corps who go with King for brass instruments do King/Pearl/Adams? If so, for a growing corps I think I'd rather go with Yamaha. Even if sponsorship wouldn't be necessarily an immediate concern, I would imagine it being a short term goal (within a couple of years) for a drum. If King has some kind of contract that restricts your choice of percussion equipment I think overall Yamaha beats Pearl/Adams.

Not to knock on Pearl/Adams, since they do have some really nice stuff, but as an overall package I'd go with Yamaha any day. Plus, you'd leave open the possibility of adding a motorcycle to your show which will hopefully be legal for 2011.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rumor has it that the trumpet King is specially designing for the Blue Devils this year is called "the Dizzy G".....the bell is aimed at the 600 level at LOS. :thumbs-up:

I'm a percussionist so my opinion doesn't count for much. Do all corps who go with King for brass instruments do King/Pearl/Adams?

Usually it's done as a package deal and in this day and age, most brands are just names that fall under the umbrella of a larger corporation, rather than actual different companies.

I don't care for Yamaha, although some of that is rooted in bad past experiences. Overall, though, I've just never been satisfied with the quality of their construction, and the fact that corps that can afford to replace horns when they get royally jacked up are buying them doesn't give me a lot of confidence in that area. I've played the Kings, the sound is nice but the construction especially on the low end still feels like it hasn't solidified yet. Dynasties used to be one of the best, but lately it seems like their consistency of quality has dropped a lot; I've heard a lot of complaints from people playing on ones produced in the last few years of lots of lemons, bad plating jobs, durability issues, just a lot of problems compared to the ones produced in the 90s that were in our hands back when I was marching juniors.

I've never played a Kanstul I didn't like. From sound, to production quality, to durability over time, they are at the top of the heap. Built like tanks, wonderful balance, lots of space to open up without overblowing...my only complaint is that they don't cut package deals. And that, of course, is why they aren't more prevalent in drum corps especially in this day of tight budgets, but I'd still rank them far and away better than any other marching horn on the market.

....I've never played a Kanstul I didn't like. From sound, to production quality, to durability over time, they are at the top of the heap. Built like tanks, wonderful balance, lots of space to open up without overblowing...my only complaint is that they don't cut package deals. And that, of course, is why they aren't more prevalent in drum corps especially in this day of tight budgets, but I'd still rank them far and away better than any other marching horn on the market.

Agreed. Kanstul. Made in USA (California). Quality design and craftsmanship. Ziggy has a history of great horns.

It depends...

If I was only going to be able to buy one brand and it HAS to last me the next 20 years. And survive a couple nuclear halocausts. Kanstul.

If I was going to only be around for 20 years and needed to sell my investment and get the best returns. Kanstul.

If I was using my horn for a living, and was going to get a new one every year, and really didn't want to work that hard. Yamaha.

If I was on a tight budget and need quantity of horns cheaply. Jupiter, Deg, Yamaha.

If was going to cut an album in a studio tomorrow. King.

If I was going to have to play to an audience a mile away. Kanstul.

If I was playing an indoor dinner gig with an ensemble larger than the accoustics of the space demands. Yamaha.

If I was just a pure tone junkie and nothing else in the world mattered to me. King.

It depends...

If I was only going to be able to buy one brand and it HAS to last me the next 20 years. And survive a couple nuclear halocausts. Kanstul.

If I was going to only be around for 20 years and needed to sell my investment and get the best returns. Kanstul.

If I was using my horn for a living, and was going to get a new one every year, and really didn't want to work that hard. Yamaha.

If I was on a tight budget and need quantity of horns cheaply. Jupiter, Deg, Yamaha.

If was going to cut an album in a studio tomorrow. King.

If I was going to have to play to an audience a mile away. Kanstul.

If I was playing an indoor dinner gig with an ensemble larger than the accoustics of the space demands. Yamaha.

If I was just a pure tone junkie and nothing else in the world mattered to me. King.

I'd have to agree with this. What if you were a drum corps who is just getting back into things after being away for a few years.

My vote is for Kanstul all the way. Best horns on the market across the board. I agree with a previous poster about the fact that they do not offer deals, but as with many other things in life-you get what you paid for. You want the best horns for your line- go with Kanstul. Ziggy's history with this activity speaks volumes about his passion for the activity and the art of brass playing.

If I had to give a second vote it would be for King, but this would be my second choice.

My vote is for Kanstul all the way. Best horns on the market across the board.

Does anyone know of a drum corps marching newer B-flat Kanstals?

I've had great experience with the old "G" Kanstuls, When the Cascades made final in '02 they marched "G" Kanstuls. We loaned the same horn to the Oregon Crusaders in '04 when they finished tops in Div III. I've played a "G" soprano with our all-age group, Brass Attack. ...and I love the horns.

Mike Bujnowski

I personally do not know of any world class corps marching with Kanstuls. Unless I'm just crazy, haha. I believe it is all King, Yamaha, Dynasty, and Jupiter.

I personally do not know of any world class corps marching with Kanstuls. Unless I'm just crazy, haha. I believe it is all King, Yamaha, Dynasty, and Jupiter.

:thumbs-up::thumbs-up::cool:

just kidding :beer: