imperfect analogy

Keep in mind that the Brass Soloist, Center Snare, Guard Captain from BDB could be starting for most Div I Corps.

Maybe not as a featured performer, but they are definitely talented enough to make the team.

Cali.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, I'll chime in here...

The colts made a mistake, plain and simple. This doesnt really apply to the saints because they never played at an undefeated calibur (close calls with the dolphins, rams, 'skins).

If you have an undefeated season in the making, you dont start taking off blocks during finals week, take your upperleads down an octave. You go full out during every block of every practice, everyday. When it comes down to any performance (your finals performance should be no different than your last performance in midland, tx...) you simply do what you do in practice every day.

FWIW, the colts are gonna have a first round bye as it is, I highly doubt you want to take off anymore time than that.

Now, 2/3 through their show, their director yanks their soprano soloist (you know, the BD stereotypical stratospheric high note guy), and puts in the soloist from the Blue Devils B corps. The kid is young, and may have potential, but while he can hit the high C all day long, he is too inexperienced to handle the lip trill leading up to the double C, and flubs it. Gibbs also pulls out the center snare, guard caption, and drum major (wouldn't want them to get a sudden case of carpal tunnel right before Championships).

To make your analogy complete, we have to consider the other side of the coin.

The director decided to keep the drum major, guard captain, and center snare in for that show.

A stick breaks during a drum feature and the tip puts out the center snare's eye. He stumbles around out of formation and falls over pit equipment, breaking a leg.

The guard captain, watching the center snare fall, steps off in the wrong direction and gets walloped by flying chair. She drops unconscious, having sustained a severe concussion that has her seeing double and triple for days.

The drum major, distracted by the mayhem on the field, falls off the podium, lands on his hands, and shatters his forearms.

All three are laid up for the rest of the playoffs...er, throughout finals week. BD finishes out of the top 6.

That undefeated season wasn't all that great then, was it?

Undefeated seasons going into the post-seasn are a bit overrated. After all, who'd you rather be; the "undefeated" Patriots of two years ago, or the '85 Bears? Both only lost one game that year, but one pops up immediately as one of the 3 or 4 best teams ever, and the other is viewed as a bit of an oddity, the undefeated team who can't close a championship deal.

Edited by mobrien

OK so here's how I see it. Only three corps IMO could go undefeated in an upcoming season. Cadets, Cavs, and BD with the possibility of someone else but no one is that consistent. All three of these corps can have good shows and whoop ### for the year. It's like Gmen I think in the early 00's....beats every corps and then tanks finals week. BD, Cadets, Cavs...the only corps who will complete an undefeated season in a couple of years.

But for now, I'm pulling for the Mandarins.

Wait a minute...somewhere in here we have to trot out the judges to tell the fans that all the mishaps on the field had no effect on the judging.... :tongue:

Simply put, the Colts have a playoff spot. They will have a bye. WHY RISK YOUR STAR PLAYERS?

I'm pretty sure that going undefeated for a season isn't the biggest thing in the world when you have a 23 game winning streak.

(I wasn't sure how to relate that to corps, so didn't bother to do it :p)

Edited by wturner901

Undefeated seasons going into the post-seasn are a bit overrated. After all, who'd you rather be; the "undefeated" Patriots of two years ago, or the '85 Bears? Both only lost one game that year, but one pops up immediately as one of the 3 or 4 best teams ever, and the other is viewed as a bit of an oddity, the undefeated team who can't close a championship deal.

Exactly. Comparing this to drum corps the finals placements are what stick in peoples' minds.

It's like when I asked my instructor (corps/year doesn't matter and no not PR08) about getting beaten several times during the season he told me "sure but ask anyone at BD if they care about that when I still have their ring."

Small local shows, or even regionals, are fun but in the grand scheme of things don't really matter.