DCI Championships travel information for fans

INSIDETHEFORTY

The SHUTTLE will make several trips from the Airport area Hotels to the STADIUM each afternoon. The SHUTTLE will make return trips after the competitions are concluded each night. The PICK-UP POINT for return trips to the Airport area Hotels will be the U S Postal Service Parking Lot across Capitol Ave. The one-way price per person is yet to be determined, but will most likely be as little as $5.00 per person.

To arrange for SHUTTLE pick-up prior to the competitions each day, simply e-mail me, Ron Gunn. I will begin taking reservations immediately. If the demand is great enough, I will arrange for additional vans to service other Hotels in the Indianapolis area.

Yours in drum corps,

Ron Gunn

Edited by INSIDETHEFORTY

A little travel tip. I was looking for a 8 passenger van to go from Syracuse, NY to Orlando, FL in back in 2003. I checked the online prices and they seemed high. I then tried Priceline.com. Theres was a bit lower. However, before booking, I tried doing Priceline's "NAME YOUR OWN PRICE". I set the price at $25.00 per day. The computer program was pretty faast. It came back with a very good van for me from AVIS, unlimited miles and a full tank of gas, for only $25.00 per day plus insurance and taxes! I was estatic! That was less than 1/2 the price per day Hertz wanted!

Try it! Just be sure that the first price you put in is lower than you might expect to pay. They may surprise you! Subsequent attempts should only be raised 1 or 2 dollars each time.

Let me know how it turns out, ok?

Ron Gunn

I probably sound kind of stupid saying this...but...is it bad to drive your own car down there? (i'm not a very experienced driver as you can tell...and it wouldn't be my car anyway :tongue: ) but a couple friends and me were thinking of making a roadtrip out to indy, from southern california. Either that or Greyhound

ATTENTION: West Coast Drum corps Fans!

Are you considering taking a Drum Corps road trip? Is Indy and DCI Championships your final destination? Do you plan to take in some shows prior to Championships? Do you want to fly to your first destination ( or near it) then follow the tour into Indy? Do you want to travel by Train? What about Greyhound?

What ever your situation, Inside The Forty can help! Thanks to my extensive experience in drum corps touring, I have answers for those interested in taking one-day, weekend, 1 week, 2 week, and longer dru corps tours! I can save you $$$$ on Hotels, Airfare, Train fares, BLong distance Motor Coach fares, local transportation and much more!

IF you have been reading this thread, you already know about the Greyhound Discovery Pass, which can save a drum corps fan from $100.00 to more than $5,000 in Bus fares of a 7 to 60 day period! Check out my Summer Schedule in the World Class forum section of DCP.... You will see that I plan to be on the road, watching competitions, from July 8th until August 14th! I choose to tour via Greyhound because of the tremendous savings I enjoy (more than $4,000 per 60 day period, compared to purchasing seperate tickets to each city) and the interesting people I get to share good times with along the way! Fun! You can get a Greyhound Discovery Pass for only $199.00 for 7 days of travel,. A 15 day Pass costs $299.00, while a 30 day Pass can be yours for only $399.00! For those who love to travel a lot, like me, the 60 day Pass is available for a mere $499.00! Check the Greyhound website for schedule information. A tip: I usually go to the "Puppy" website in January, print out the schedules I want to use, and put them in a binder with page protectors, along with notes on each competition, places to eat, places to shower, YMCAs, public pools, hotels, ground tranportation, maps and other useful info. That way, I know what I am doing before I actually leave on tour!

If you want to take in shows and end your tour within a 30 day period, while enjoying America by rail, AMTRAK has a similar deal. The only drawback s are that you must reserve your seats on each train you plan to board, and AMTRAK does not go to each city DCI tours through. I don't have all of the details on their program, such as prices, restrictions, scheduleing, etc., but I do know that it too is a money-saver! Check the AMTRAK website for details. (Don't worry, I will too!)

My personalized Drum Corps Vacation planning know-how is at your service. Just give me your starting and ending points, when you want to start and stop your tour, the competitions you want to attend, your prefered method of travel, whether you plan to rent vehicles for short hauls or take public transportation, and the nuber of people in your party along with your lodging requirements. The more detail you give me, the better. I will work out a tour that will have you enjoying both drum corps and local entertainment and sights, at a price that will amaze you! Contact me today to get started!

Yours in Drum Corps,

Ron Gunn

I probably sound kind of stupid saying this...but...is it bad to drive your own car down there? (i'm not a very experienced driver as you can tell...and it wouldn't be my car anyway :smile: ) but a couple friends and me were thinking of making a roadtrip out to indy, from southern california. Either that or Greyhound

A cross-country trip with more than 3 people in a car? You are very, very brave souls!

Personally, I would not consider such a trip in a car unless there were only 1, 2 or at the most 3 people in the vehicle. You will need room for extra stuff. The longer you are on the road, the more room you need. I you have 3, 4, or 5 people total, I would suggest a Mini-van. More comfortable and good on gas. Any more than 5 people can be bad in a van, even a ten-passenger. People on a long-distance trip need a place to stretch out a bit from time to time. Please, do not crowd the vehicle! It makes for a very bad trip!

Greyhound can be a very good option for you. I suggest that you take extended rest stops of 2 to 3 hours every 12 hours or so. You will want to clean up. Road grime is not fun, and ladies do not enjoy the smell of sweaty men! :smile:

Oh, the ladies! Lots of them on Greyhound. All kinds and all types. Be careful. Some are pick-pockets and thieves! I saw a guy put his suitcase in the overhead rack after boarding the bus, then go to sleep. A few stops later, a girl took it off the rack, got off the bus, and ran around the corner with it while he slept!! Boy, was he mad. He never saw her! I couldn't stop her because I was seated near the back and the suitcase was near the front. I yelled for someone to stop her, but no one tried. At that time, the bus driver was inside the station, so I went inside and told the folks at the counter. I gave the police a description of the girl, but she probably got away! She was one of the worst.

When I was on my way home from Pasadena in 2007, I met a pretty girl on the bus. She warmed up to me and I shared some food with her. She seemed really hungry, too! however, by the time we got to Phoenix, I had figured her out. She had $$$$, but was just using the guys on the bus to get her food, smokes and other things she needed while on the trip. Since I did not seem to be such an easy target any more, she moved on to another guy after we re-boaded the bus in Phoenix! When that guy got off the bus in El Paso, she latched onto another guy and got him to give her some money! She did this all the way to NYC! Like I said, I meet some interesting people!

I will have a few more tour stories to share in the near future, some of them really funny, so check ya later!

Ron Gunn

A cross-country trip with more than 3 people in a car? You are very, very brave souls!

Personally, I would not consider such a trip in a car unless there were only 1, 2 or at the most 3 people in the vehicle. You will need room for extra stuff. The longer you are on the road, the more room you need. I you have 3, 4, or 5 people total, I would suggest a Mini-van. More comfortable and good on gas. Any more than 5 people can be bad in a van, even a ten-passenger. People on a long-distance trip need a place to stretch out a bit from time to time. Please, do not crowd the vehicle! It makes for a very bad trip!

Greyhound can be a very good option for you. I suggest that you take extended rest stops of 2 to 3 hours every 12 hours or so. You will want to clean up. Road grime is not fun, and ladies do not enjoy the smell of sweaty men! :blink:

Oh, the ladies! Lots of them on Greyhound. All kinds and all types. Be careful. Some are pick-pockets and thieves! I saw a guy put his suitcase in the overhead rack after boarding the bus, then go to sleep. A few stops later, a girl took it off the rack, got off the bus, and ran around the corner with it while he slept!! Boy, was he mad. He never saw her! I couldn't stop her because I was seated near the back and the suitcase was near the front. I yelled for someone to stop her, but no one tried. At that time, the bus driver was inside the station, so I went inside and told the folks at the counter. I gave the police a description of the girl, but she probably got away! She was one of the worst.

When I was on my way home from Pasadena in 2007, I met a pretty girl on the bus. She warmed up to me and I shared some food with her. She seemed really hungry, too! however, by the time we got to Phoenix, I had figured her out. She had $$$$, but was just using the guys on the bus to get her food, smokes and other things she needed while on the trip. Since I did not seem to be such an easy target any more, she moved on to another guy after we re-boaded the bus in Phoenix! When that guy got off the bus in El Paso, she latched onto another guy and got him to give her some money! She did this all the way to NYC! Like I said, I meet some interesting people!

I will have a few more tour stories to share in the near future, some of them really funny, so check ya later!

Ron Gunn

oh wow, i didn't think itcould be so dangerous.

But it makes sense now, I never did think of extra room...thanks for the help!

A true INSIDE THE FORTY tour story!

It was late in the month of July, 1982. I was driving my 1980 Mercury Capri on I-77 from Winston-Salem, NC to Canton OH for the next competition. It was about 3:30 am when I noticed that the trafic seemed to be slowing down ahead of me, so I moved into the left lane. I was going up a hill, passing other cars, when suddenly I felt my car shake and I heard the noise of metal against metal. Looking to the direction of the sound, I saw that I had side-swiped another vehicle! It was to my right, and the driver was fighting hard to keep the vehicle off the guard rail! We both slowed, then brought our vehicles to a stop at the side of the road. I got out and enquired about their condition. The man had his wife and kids in the car, awake and frightened. The passengers had all been asleep prior to the impact. It then dawned on me what had happened. I had fallen asleep behind the wheel, after going over the top of the hill! My vehicle had gotten to the front of the line of cars and trucks, and had accelerated to over 80 mph! I was barreling out of control toward the curve at the bottom of the hill! The only thing that had kept my vehicle from going stright into, and over ,or through, the guard rail near the bottom of the hill, was the car I had hit! That vehicle, because it was blocking my path, had saved my life! At that point, my sleepy eyes became as wide awake as if I had just had 12 hours sleep! I broke into a sweat and dropped to my knees, thank ful that I had not been killed!

After the police came and did their duty, I attempted to continue my journey, but I couldn't. I became sleepy again. So, I pulled off the road at the next exit and tried to sleep for a few hours. That did not work.. I was too shaken from my harrowing experience to sleep. Every time I closed my eyes, I saw myself falling to my dezath in a deep gorge in the mountains of W. VA.! Exhasted but awake, I set out for Canton again, only to resume my battle with sleepiness. Again, I pulled over, this time at a rest area,and tried to rest, to no avail. I couldn't drive and I couyldn't sleep! Itried to continue my journey again, with the same results. By the time the sun began to rise, I had pulled over 5 times, only to return to the road I could not travel on. By this time, I was beyond exhastion and frustrated!

Finally, afte the sun had risen and was warming the car, I was able to start out for the 6th time and drive without falling asleep. I finally reeached an area where I could put some water on my face and get some coffee. That helped a lot. After my coffee, I was able to finish the trip to Canton, arriving at the stadium at around 10 am. I did my volunteer day with Boston Crusaders and enjoyed the competition that night. However, I did not make it to the show I had scheduled for the next day. I pulled into a motel after about 15 minutes of driving, and crashed until the hotel staff opened the door the next day! I had slept so soundly that they feared the worst had happened to me. I slept through the alarm clock and the phone!

I guess I had needed to visit a bed, after having not slpt in one fro nearly a week! What an experience!

It taught me that no matter what happens, nothing can happen to me that is not approved by the Lord above! I am very, very thankful to be alive and able to attend drum corps competitions. I don't drive to competitions any more. How that stopped is another story.

Edited by INSIDETHEFORTY

• 3 weeks later...

TRAVEL ALERT! AIRWARS HAVE BEGUN!

ALL DRUM CORPS FANS WHO PLAN TO FLY TO INDIANAPOLIS SHOULD CHECK OUT PRICELINE.COM FOR LOW, LOW AIRFARES!

ROUND-TRIP PRICING TO/FROM INDIANAPOLIS (WED/SUN) EXAMPLES INCLUDE:

SAN FRANCISCO....$253.00 ($294.00 WITH TAXES AND FEES)

BOSTON...............$274.00 ($302.00 WITH TAXES AND FEES)

DALLAS................$234.00 ($273.00 WITH TAXES AND FEES)

NEW YORK...........$152.00 ($173.00 WITH TAXES AND FEES)

LOS ANGELES........$258.00 ($290.00 WITH TAXES AND FEES)

LAS VEGAS...........$304.00 ($343.00 WITH TAXES AND FEES)

MIAMI..................$248.00 ($283.00 WITH TAXES AND FEES)

CHARLOTTE..........$190.00 ($231.00 WITH TAXES AND FEES)

GET MY DRIFT?

PRICELINE, BABY! TO SAVE EVEN MORE $$$ TRY THE NAME YOUR OWN PRICE OPTION. MAKE SURE THAT YOU START AT LESS THAN 1/2 THE PRICE THEY HAVE LISTED. GO UP BY $10.00 INCREMENTS. SOMETIMES YOU CAN GET A VERY PLEASENT SURPRISE!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

The INSIDE THE FORTY Hotel/Stadium Shuttle Service will run from the Candlewood Suites Hotel-Airport to Lucas Oil Stadium on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday of Finals Week! Fans may ride the Shuttle from the Hotel to the Stadium daily. Fans may also take advantage of the return ride from the Stadium to the Hotel each night! The charge for drum corps fans is only $5.00 per one-way trip! Park your car at your hotel, take your Hotel shuttle to the Candlewood Suites Hotel-Airport, then board the INSIDE THE FORTY Shuttle for only $5.00 per one-way trip!!

INSIDE THE FORTY Super-Premium Package customers staying at the Candlewood Suites ride free!

E-mail your interest to me and get on board!

The Shuttle Schedule for Thursday, August 12, 2010 is as follows:

Leave Candlewood Suites-Airport @

1:30 pm arrive LOs approx 10 minutes later

2:00 pm arrive LOs approx 10 minutes later

2:30 pm arrive LOs approx 10 minutes later

3:00 pm arrive LOs approx 10 minutes later

3:30 pm arrive LOs approx 10 minutes later

4:00 pm arrive LOs approx 10 minutes later

4:30 pm (if needed)

5:00 pm (if needed)

Return trips from LOS to the Candlewood Suites

Leave Lucas Oil Stadium (Post Office Parking Lot)

Run # 1...11:30 pm (2 or 3 vans)

Run # 2...12:00 midnight (1 van)

Run # 3...12:30 am (1 van)

If your party is at an airport-area Hotel other than the Candlewood Suites, contact me for pick-up.

I will accomodate fans at other hotels if they can produce groups of 10 or more people!

Thank you,

Ron Gunn

Edited by INSIDETHEFORTY