DCI Championships travel information for fans

INSIDETHEFORTY

I was just checking the Southwest Airlines web site. Round-trip fares will be available in a few days. I saw one-way fares to Indianapolis, IN at the following prices (not inclueding taxes and fees):

Dallas.........................$124.00

San Francisco..............$184.00

New York (La Guardia).$175.00

Boston........................$147.00

Los Angeles.................$164.00

Denver.......................$97.00

Orlando......................$97.00

Minneapolis.................$143.00

New Orleans...............$130.00

Philadelphia................$130.00

Buffalo.......................$122,00

Seattle.......................$199.00

This may be a good time to book!

Ron Gunn

I havent flown into finals as i live only 8 hrs away, but if looking to save costs and if coming from far away, (especially if you're already planning on renting a car) you could also look at flying into chicago and driving the 3 hrs down. I always see a lot of deals flying in\out of chicago since its such a major airport.

I was just checking the Southwest Airlines web site. Round-trip fares will be available in a few days. I saw one-way fares to Indianapolis, IN at the following prices (not inclueding taxes and fees):

Dallas.........................$124.00

San Francisco..............$184.00

New York (La Guardia).$175.00

Boston........................$147.00

Los Angeles.................$164.00

Denver.......................$97.00

Orlando......................$97.00

Minneapolis.................$143.00

New Orleans...............$130.00

Philadelphia................$130.00

Buffalo.......................$122,00

Seattle.......................$199.00

This may be a good time to book!

Ron Gunn

The issue with Southwest is that currently their schedule is only open for reservations through August 13, most of us aren't leaving Indy until the 15th at the earliest. I have already booked my fare to get TO Indy, but will have to wait for the schedule to open before booking the return trip. They only opened the schedule about a month ago, so I wouldn't expect to see it open up until probably late Feb./early March. In the past I've found that Northwest (now Delta) has had decent fares, but now their checked baggage fees are getting out of control. Southwest does not charge extra for the first two pieces of checked baggage. FYI, my rate from Manchester, NH to Indianapolis was $127. I cannot, however, figure out why there is no way to rent even the smallest of cars in Indy for anything less than $30+ per day.

The issue with Southwest is that currently their schedule is only open for reservations through August 13, most of us aren't leaving Indy until the 15th at the earliest. I have already booked my fare to get TO Indy, but will have to wait for the schedule to open before booking the return trip. They only opened the schedule about a month ago, so I wouldn't expect to see it open up until probably late Feb./early March. In the past I've found that Northwest (now Delta) has had decent fares, but now their checked baggage fees are getting out of control. Southwest does not charge extra for the first two pieces of checked baggage. FYI, my rate from Manchester, NH to Indianapolis was $127. I cannot, however, figure out why there is no way to rent even the smallest of cars in Indy for anything less than $30+ per day.

A little travel tip. I was looking for a 8 passenger van to go from Syracuse, NY to Orlando, FL in back in 2003. I checked the online prices and they seemed high. I then tried Priceline.com. Theres was a bit lower. However, before booking, I tried doing Priceline's "NAME YOUR OWN PRICE". I set the price at $25.00 per day. The computer program was pretty faast. It came back with a very good van for me from AVIS, unlimited miles and a full tank of gas, for only $25.00 per day plus insurance and taxes! I was estatic! That was less than 1/2 the price per day Hertz wanted!

Try it! Just be sure that the first price you put in is lower than you might expect to pay. They may surprise you! Subsequent attempts should only be raised 1 or 2 dollars each time.

Let me know how it turns out, ok?

Ron Gunn

Thanks for the tip, I was already aware of and have used that in the past. Two years ago in Indy, we actually DID find something in Bloomington and so we needed to rent a car to get there from the airport. Lowest price I could find was $31/day, and I tried naming my own price from $20-$28, every day or two for about 3 weeks-and none of them were accepted. I finally just booked at the lowest rate I found, I honestly don't remember through whom as I use several of the travel sites regularly. I tried the same tactic last year, IIRC the quoted prices were actually a few dollars higher per day than two years ago, and finally I just said forget it, I'm staying downtown and don't really need a car so I'll just take a cab from the airport. The cab cost about $40 including tip, and we got a car service from the hotel back to the airport that only cost $25 because we split it with another party. Cheaper all the way around and we didn't have to pay for parking to boot. The drawback is that we were "stuck" downtown for the five days we were there. We did the Speedway the first year and never really went downtown, so we were able to amuse ourselves last year without needing the car.

That brings up another good point. Public transportation in Indy is quite good. There are a number of busses that travel between the Airport and downtown. The Number 8 bus is one. There is also a bus that cost more, about 7 dollars, but is an express bus from the airport to the downtown area.

Most of the Hotels in the Indy downtown area have Airport Shuttle vans or buses. For details, contact your Hotel directly. They may have information available on the Hotel website!

Taxis can be expensive when the cab driver spots you as a tourist from out of town. It pays to do your homework. When I first arrived in Indy last year, it was nearly 10:30 pm. The first cab I asked wanted $30.00 to the Hotel near the Airport. I knew that was too much, so I walked around the corner from Greyhound to the front of the Crown Plaza Hotel. Immediately a cab driver asked me if I wanted a cab. "There is no way I'm paying $30.00". I said. "I know that it is not that far". The cab driver lowered it to $25, then $20. He finally agreed to take me to my Hotel for $15.00! I got his card, and called him when I could. After that night, I know that I do not have to pay $25-$30 for a ride betwwen the Airport and downtown or vice versa. One can get a taxi for only $15.00! You just have to act like you know what is going on!

On Finals night, when I had had enough of the sound in LOS, I left the stadium and flagged down a cab. "$15.00 to my Hotel near the Airport", I said. After noticing that I was one of the very few people on the street at the time, he told me to get in. I was at my room in less than 15 minutes and resting with a cold soda in my hand.

A little ground transportation info for Drum corps fans from Inside The Forty.

Edited by INSIDETHEFORTY

For INSIDE THE FORTY Indy Premium and Super-Premium Package holders, Super-Shutttle will be available. the service will transport Package holders from the Hotel to the Stadium prior to the competitions on Thursday Friday and Saturday, and from the Stadium to the Hotel after the competitions.

Info will be posted on the INDIANAPOLIS PACKAGE thread and here by August 1, 2010.

Edited by INSIDETHEFORTY

Moved to Marketplace.