Questions and Ideas for a bright drum corps future

"Ask not, what....can do for you, but what you can do for....! Inaugural Address by John F. Kennedy - January 20, 1961

The entire quote would not fit into the topic desciption above, so I took out the words "your country". Next, I tried replacing the words "your country" with "drum corps". The result was eye-opening!

What can drum corps do for me? Drum corps has already done more for me than I can ever repay in my entire lifetime! My drum corps friends care more about me than my own family does. That may sound harsh, but it is true. Drum corps people spend time with me, do all they can to help me, and much, much more. Drum corps has been a motivator for me to do the best I know how to give something back to drum corps. That's it in a nutshell. I just want to give something back to drum corps for all that drum corps has given to me over the past 40+ years!

What can I do for drum corps? That's the question I am asking myself.

I would like to know what you think! Please, post your ideas here!

Your in drum corps,

Ron Gunn

Edited by INSIDETHEFORTY

Well, you could donate your time by volunteering to a Corps.That doesn't cost anything but your time. Dependiing on your financial situation, you could do anything from buying tickets and souvies and going to shows all the way up to buying a Life Insurance policy and putting it into a Irrevocable Trust and making your Corps ( or DCI ) the beneficiary of the Life Insurance proceeds at death... especially given the fact that Drum Corps has treated you better than your family. Those are just a couple of things that come to mind without knowing much about you, any way.

Edited by BRASSO

Thank you very much! You have some good ideas. If you will take a peek at my "Summer" post, you will find that I have set aside the latter part of the month of June to volunteer with a corps.

In the meantime, I will look into the possibility of using some of this free time I have on my hands to benefit my corps, the Brigadiers! I can't march, but I can cook and do a lot of other things that may be helpful to the corps!!

The life insurance idea is a good one. I may do it!

Thankfully,

Ron Gunn

Edited by INSIDETHEFORTY

Thank you very much! You have some good ideas. If you will take a peek at my "Summer" post, you will find that I have set aside the latter part of the month of June to volunteer with a corps.

In the meantime, I will look into the possibility of using some of this free time I have on my hands to benefit my corps, the Brigadiers! I can't march, but I can cook and do a lot of other things that may be helpful to the corps!!

The life insurance idea is a good one. I may do it!

Thankfully,

Ron Gunn

You're welcome, Ron.

I can donate money to it if it still exists and is still interesting to me when I have a career.

I can bring new people to shows... as long as I am going to them.

Donating money to a drum corps has always been a great idea! In addition, donations to groups, such as Friends of DCI can go a long way toward keeping more than one corps on solid financial ground.

If you have read some of my past posts, you may know that bringing people to shows is one of the things I love to do each summer. Especially if the people who are brought to the show have never seen a drum corps competition! Many people have no idea what a drum corps is, much less what a competition is like. First timers, like my young granddaughter, are usually blown away! Once they get a taste of drum corps, for free I might add, they usually want more Why not? This is a fabulous activity!

Thank you very much for your suggestions. I am sure that I and others can use them to benefit all drum corps in the near future!

Yours,

Ron Gunn

I was looking at my WALL on FACEBOOK yesterday and noticed a new name in the Groups people are joining. A number of people had joined a group called

DRUM CORPS of CNY!

I looked at the membership list and found a lot of familiar names, so I immediately joined the group. I also found out that there will be a REUNION of people who are or were involved with corps in the area bordered by Rochester, Watertown, Utica, and Binghamton. The date is set for March 27 at the Cicero, NY American Legion hall. In attendance will be some famous, and not so famous names in drum corps circles. However, the point is to bring people together and to have a good time. Who knows, a new corps or two may come out of this, along with renewed support for existing corps! I am so glad that someone had the idea and moved on it! the use of FACEBOOK to get people together was good, too!

Hopefully,

Ron Gunn

bump

I donate money to my favorite corps, and attend as many events as I can. You might think about starting less DCP threads that basically bring up the same subject over and over.

If DCI wants to encourage more and more new people to attend DCI Championships in future years, why not offer some additional travel incentives?

Let's look at a possible example, ok? If a couple from Boston, MA has a budget of $3,000.00 for DCI Championships, how can they afford it (assuming two people in one bed)? Since the couple is on a budget and does not have many thousands of dollars to spend on a one-week drumcorps excursion (possible one day stop-over in Niagara Falls, NY on the way home, if the budget allows), they must seek out the best deals they can on items such as:

1) Ground transportation from Boston, MA to Indianapolis, IN to Buffalo, NY to Boston, MA

(Options are to drive their famiily vehicle, or rent a vehicle for a week, or ride AMTRAK, or ride Greyhound)

2) Ground transportation while in the Indianapolis area (DCI-recommended car rental)

3) Hotel room for 4 nights in the Indianapolis area (Going through DCI), 1 night on he way to Indy, and

1 night in Niagara Falls, NY on the way back to Boston, MA)

4) Fantastic Five tickets for two people (cost under DCI control to some extent)

5) Other entertainment while in Indy and Niagara Falls, NY

6) Food and drink during the entire trip, including while at the Stadium and on the road

7) Corps Souvies and donations to the corps (This is an expense we want to maximize)

8) Communication costs while on the road and in Indy (cell phone, postage, etc.)

9) Travel insurance in case of accident or some mishap that prevents them from making it to Indy

10) Souvies from the road and Niagara Falls portions of the trip

11) Tips and gratuities during the entire trip

12) Emergency fund (in case of breakdown or other unforeseen expense)-may or may not be spent

13 Misc. expenses

Now comes the fun part. You do the math! Please, make a copy of this and figure out the amounts for each line.

l

After that, please, let us know what you came up with. Next, I would love to read your ideas on how the couple may reduce their overall expenses. This is so that they will stay within budget, and have more money for corps souvies and donations to the corps! I will do it too, and share my fiindings with you in my reply to this post. Together, I hope that we can come up with ideas that will make DCI Championships more affordable for fans on a budget.

Hope this "assignment" does not take up too much of your valuable time. I hate homework, but sometimes it needs to be done!

Yours in drum corps,

Ron Gunn

Edited by INSIDETHEFORTY