Bluecoats Camp

I actually agree with the statement that Coats have the best contras in DCI World. As for evidence, I present this warmup:

<Well, Bluecoats are in world class, not open.

And who's better? Blue Devils and Crown both have better tuba lines, IMO.>

Yep - you got me..I'm not up to date on the latest label for Division 1 -

Here's why I think coats have the best contra line:

If it's a given that to be evaluated at all, a section has to have something to play, I believe it then follows that the quality of the parts contribute to a section's greatness, or however short of that they fall.

I will certainly agree that both BD and Crown have outstanding contras. They simply could not make their lines without being exemplary players. The Bluecoats, however, seem to relish the low end. They have an arranger that both understands what contras can do - as well as what they 'should' be able to do, in the right hands. He writes for the 'should'. He pushes them to excel and reach for more than; certainly more than BD usually asks for.

The writing for Crown is VERY similar to Bluecoats, in that there is an understanding of the pyramid of sound - a recognition that there should be more bottom than top. BD has (almost) always been about more top than bottom...which works for them.

So - my nod goes to Bluecoats: because they have the best parts...and they play them VERY well.

I'd give the nod to Crown. Not only does Klesch write parts for the horns that truly balance the hornline well, but he also stays almost exactly true to the original tuba parts. Klesch is more of a straight transcription kind of guy, and I definitely prefer that to the "drum corps" arrangements that are present nowadays.

I'd give the nod to Crown. Not only does Klesch write parts for the horns that truly balance the hornline well, but he also stays almost exactly true to the original tuba parts. Klesch is more of a straight transcription kind of guy, and I definitely prefer that to the "drum corps" arrangements that are present nowadays.

I agree 100%. My Master Degree in Math doesn't allow me to write illogical things like "I agree 1000%," but if I were ignorant, I would.

Note that Bloo's 2007 Tuba book was a game-changer. There are more features and more notes for Tubas ever since. Even Klesch has learned from Bloo's approach.

A little birdie told me that 5 of the 12 players from the 2007 Bloo Tuba line are still there.

I agree 100%. My Master Degree in Math doesn't allow me to write illogical things like "I agree 1000%," but if I were ignorant, I would.

Note that Bloo's 2007 Tuba book was a game-changer. There are more features and more notes for Tubas ever since. Even Klesch has learned from Bloo's approach.

A little birdie told me that 5 of the 12 players from the 2007 Bloo Tuba line are still there.

5 of em still? Dang I forgot how young that line was in 07!

<but he also stays almost exactly true to the original tuba parts>

I would think that, with most band and orchestral composers, this trait alone would disqualify the contra line from contention for 'best' based on the criteria I outlined in my previous post (with which all are free to disagree...).

Many legit tuba parts are quite boring...that's when they exist at all. Many fine works relegate the tuba to a sub-minor role in the overall impact of the composition. Some great works leave the tuba out all together (I don't believe Rossini wrote for the tuba...perhaps the ophicleide...and Rossini was central to a recent Crown show...).

So - drum corps does their contra players a HUGE disservice if they simply transcribe the orchestral tuba part. A wind ensemble work will mostly likely have better (much better, usually) original tuba parts from which to work.

The Bluecoats have recently used pop music as their 'source' material. No tuba parts (electric bass, of course...but let's just NOT go there...) - but the contras ended up with amazing parts...all due to the arranger.

<but he also stays almost exactly true to the original tuba parts>

I would think that, with most band and orchestral composers, this trait alone would disqualify the contra line from contention for 'best' based on the criteria I outlined in my previous post (with which all are free to disagree...).

Many legit tuba parts are quite boring...that's when they exist at all. Many fine works relegate the tuba to a sub-minor role in the overall impact of the composition. Some great works leave the tuba out all together (I don't believe Rossini wrote for the tuba...perhaps the ophicleide...and Rossini was central to a recent Crown show...).

So - drum corps does their contra players a HUGE disservice if they simply transcribe the orchestral tuba part. A wind ensemble work will mostly likely have better (much better, usually) original tuba parts from which to work.

The Bluecoats have recently used pop music as their 'source' material. No tuba parts (electric bass, of course...but let's just NOT go there...) - but the contras ended up with amazing parts...all due to the arranger.

Well, you're entitled to your opinion.

I have mine. Mine is that the best arrangers keep the composer's intent in mind when writing. Could Crown's tubas have played something cooler in 2008 during Candide? Sure. But thats not what Bernstein wrote.

So - my nod goes to Bluecoats: because they have the best parts...and they play them VERY well.

Well thank ya, kindly. Mighty humbling to be given such a compliment.

Guilty as charged, sir!

You are funny.

If you folks knew who Bruckner8 is, you'd find it even more funny.

I agree with Bruckner8; the Bluecoats have the best contra parts in world class. The parts are also played very well.

I agree with a previous poster though; nobody plays doughnut music better than Crown.

Edited by Elmo Blatch