Madison and custom agents

I recall a couple of friends of mine telling me a tale in either 81 or 82 of Madison heading to DCI championships and when they were entering Canada, a couple of members were either really smart alecky and/or the custom agents picked up on something out of the ordinary in one of the buses and they proceeded to check the entire fleet for possible substances that were deemed illegal. Like I said, I heard it from two different sources who did not know each other. Just wondering if it was true or not. I know we were told if any agents asked us for any information to be as serious and professional as we could...

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was a member of the Madison Scouts in 1982, and I don't recall anything extraordinary or problematic at the boarder, going in OR out of Canada that year.

Every corps has a favorite border-crossing legend.

The 1967 Kilties were on their first-ever international adventure, headed for the Shriners Invitational in Hamilton Ontario.

Sitting shotgun in the lead bus was parent/chaperone Boris Chekanoff. Need I say more?

In his distinctive thick Russian accent, he answered to the Canadian Customs man.

"Ya. Everrrryone here borrrrn in United States."

I'll repeat a story I've told before...

1975 we were in British Columbia Canada for some down time. We had a show in Washington and were on our way when bus 3 broke down. The other two went on and some of us stayed with the bus (some weren't normally on bus 3 which is important to the story).

The bus was fixed and we were going to be crossing the boarder. The U.S. custom agent came on board and asked if we had anything to declare. Some dummy from the back of the bus whispered loudly "Hide the Bottle!" (jerk). The agent ordered us off the bus and we were told to unload all the suitcases. One by one they opened the suitcases. Now, some of the suitcases were locked and the owners were on the other two buses, so the agents ordered our guys to break into those suitcases. I didn't think that was legal, but as a teenager what did I know? I have pictures proving the search. (I'll find them and post them in a bit).

They were finally done with us and sent us on our way not having found anything (whew). Needless to say, we were really really late. We had to run off the bus, get into uniform and join the rest of the Corps that was lined up ready to go onto the field. I think we made it in time, luckly, because I don't remember getting a late penalty.

Moral of story: KEEP YOUR YAP SHUT AT THE BORDER!!!

Yes, it's not nice to (try to) fool Canada Customs!

My favourite border story concerns our weekly trips into the U.S. as members of St. Joseph's Alumni Corps in LeRoy NY. For some reason the US Border Agent would not believe that we did not get paid. If we were paid we were supposed to have work permits to play with an American organization. He would not accept any "volunteer" explanation or my story that Americans and Canadians have played in each others drum corps for many years. We were taken aside for a more in-depth interview inside the building. The agent inside wanted to know "Why would any American drum corps want any Canadians for members". The only answer I had was, " I guess they're looking for better talent". Not a good answer...from then on the corps director had to supply all the Canadians in the corps with letters on corps letterhead stating we were not paid and any money taken in by the corps at parades and exhibitions went to the organization and not to marching members. In retrospect, this was the only "difficult" time we had over 8 years of crossing almost every weekend.

Bruce, when I left for Philadelphia in May of my age-out year, I was also held up at US Customs in Toronto because the guy couldn't believe we didn't get paid! My dad had to drive all the way back to the airport (about 30 miles) to pick me up and bring me home for the night. I then had to re-schedule a flight the next day. I remember calling Robbie Robertson, the legendary director, to tell him my predicament. For those who know, Robbie didn't suffer fools gladly and was livid!! I can still hear him yelling into the phone "You tell those ########s you're spendin' da summer with your Uncle Robbie and Aunt Charlotte and have 'em call me if they got problems with that!!!" I got through the next morning but it felt like The Great Escape.

Then, when we were crossing back into Canada for finals in August, the bus driver tells Canadian Customs that everyone was born in the US. The guy comes on the bus and starts moving down the aisle asking for ID's, but turned back before he gets to me. He probably got grossed out from the bus stench. I nearly soiled myself.

We were always strictly ordered never to open our traps when crossing the border either way. If we were sleeping on the floor or in the luggage racks we were awakened and ordered into our seats. Those guys take their jobs full on seriously. I'm sure it would be a nightmare to cross the border these days especially with passports etc.

I'll repeat a story I've told before...

1975 we were in British Columbia Canada for some down time. We had a show in Washington and were on our way when bus 3 broke down. The other two went on and some of us stayed with the bus (some weren't normally on bus 3 which is important to the story).

The bus was fixed and we were going to be crossing the boarder. The U.S. custom agent came on board and asked if we had anything to declare. Some dummy from the back of the bus whispered loudly "Hide the Bottle!" (jerk). The agent ordered us off the bus and we were told to unload all the suitcases. One by one they opened the suitcases. Now, some of the suitcases were locked and the owners were on the other two buses, so the agents ordered our guys to break into those suitcases. I didn't think that was legal, but as a teenager what did I know? I have pictures proving the search. (I'll find them and post them in a bit).

They were finally done with us and sent us on our way not having found anything (whew). Needless to say, we were really really late. We had to run off the bus, get into uniform and join the rest of the Corps that was lined up ready to go onto the field. I think we made it in time, luckly, because I don't remember getting a late penalty.

Moral of story: KEEP YOUR YAP SHUT AT THE BORDER!!!

Gail must have been livid!!!

Edited by Jim Anello