Medals

those were the official convention medal given to every registered legionnaire in attendance. Since we were competing and registered, we all got them.

They weren't given, you had to PAY for the registration packet.

That's why Sie Lurye pulled his Royal Airs out of the 1967 AL Nationals. He was protesting the mandated purchase of registration packets as a form of entry fee.

Edited by HornsUp

I guess I am the only one then...

Not sure if I argree with the "no one remembers who placed second" comment, though I have heard it before. I'm also not implying the "everybody's a winner" scenario that our seems to tell every child. It just seems that most activities have something for the groups that are runner-up to the winner... I guess we are just different in that regard.

They weren't given, you had to PAY for the registration packet.

That's why Sie Lurye pulled his Royal Airs out of the 1967 AL Nationals. He was protesting the mandated purchase of registration packets as a form of entry fee.

you of course are correct old wise one... I'm sure in the end... it was just another way for the legion to get an extra buck out of everyone...

"No one remembers who came in second place."

What is the most talked about DCI show from 1993, if not the most talked about DCI show ever?

I believe the DCA Medal is for "CHAMPION". I don't know when it started.

The Gold, Silver, Bronze, is a DCI thing. (a not needed one IMO)

We were always told. "No one paints 2nd place on the Bass Drum". Hope I it stays that way. You are either CHAMPION or you are not.

Remember 2004, the 40th Anniversary year? We all got medals commemorating the event. On the back it memorialized Mickey Petrone, who passed in 2003. This medal is special to me because it was my first year marching with the Hurricanes and my first WC.

IMHO there is no reason to recognize anyone but the Champions.

Buddy

The Mickey Petrone medal was a great idea and very appropriate... even I got one.

DCI also gives medals for all Finalists. I am not saying we need to do that (as DCA Finals only excludes a handful of Open Class corps), but I do think that second or third is much better than 10th... I think it should get acknowledged. They do it in the Olympics, and have been for hundreds of years.

Just a thought.

Yeah. DCI gives out 1 gold, 1 silver, 1 bronze, and 8 other gold medals. Haha.

Donnie, those were the official convention medal given to every registered legionnaire in attendance. Since we were competing and registered, we all got them. So didn't every legion guy in attendance, but they were neat to have.

yeah that's what i thought. and yes they were cool. i still have all of mine.