Show of the Season Award - DCPI XIII

"The Concertmaster" The Knights

The Knights this season tell the tail of a concertmaster playing in his final concert

looking back at a very deep and personal relationship that has developed with his director and conductor over the years of

his career. The concert itself starts with Bruch Violin Concerto #1 Mvt1 as the concertmaster establishes himself as a premiere

virtuoso. As the concert unfolds his mind begins to slip back to his younger years when he played this very piece at their first

concert together. "Air and Simple Gifts" by John Williams begins to show the friendship that develops between master and student

very early as the two grow closer and closer. Briefly the concertmaster returns to the present day concert for Bruch Violin Concerto #1 Mvt2.

Flashing back as the relationship develops it moves beyond friendship and even mentor-ship to one beginning to develop

more into a true passion for one another as the pieces Beethoven's Violin Romance No.2 and Meditation from Thais by Massenet seem

to meld into one beautiful piece as a unit. Through the entire show in-between pieces are Paganini-Caprices as the concertmaster

remembers his growth playing as a young child. Sadly the conductor is growing old and as the concertmaster struggles to take care

of his old lover and companion we introduce The Chaconne --Tomaso Antonio Vitali eventually ending with the death of conductor

and the concertmasters struggle to go on both in life and art. Eventually he returns to present day concert where he finds himself

not the concertmaster, but the conductor with a new young concertmaster finishing Bruch Violin Concerto #1 Mvt3 as a final

emotional tribute to the fallen beloved conductor.

Les Blanc Chevalier A Bad Romance

Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique- An Episode in the Life of an Artist

LBC takes this very twisted love story from French composer Berlioz, adds its own dramatic twists and flare they are known for along with very modern

costuming, flags, set and dance.

First movement: "Rêveries - Passions" The young artist meets and falls in love with the one he deeply desires.

Second movement: "Un bal" The artist finds himself at balls, in town or in the countryside yet he can not stop thinking of

his desired love.

Third movement: "Scène aux champs" The artist begins to fear that his love may betray him and not be faithful!

Fourth movement: "Marche au supplice" Convinced that his love is spurned, the artist poisons himself with opium.

The dose of narcotic, while too weak to cause his death, plunges him into a heavy sleep accompanied by the strangest

of visions. He dreams that he has killed his beloved, that he is condemned, led to the scaffold and is witnessing

his own execution. The procession advances to the sound of a march that is sometimes sombre and wild, and sometimes

brilliant and solemn, in which a dull sound of heavy footsteps follows without transition the loudest outbursts.

At the end of the march, the first four bars of the idée fixe reappear like a final thought of love interrupted by

the fatal blow.

Fifth movement: "Songe d'une nuit de sabbat"

He sees himself at a witches’ sabbath, in the midst of a hideous gathering of shades, sorcerers and monsters of every

kind who have come together for his funeral. Strange sounds, groans, outbursts of laughter; distant shouts which seem

to be answered by more shouts. The beloved melody appears once more, but has now lost its noble and shy character;

it is now no more than a vulgar dance tune, trivial and grotesque: it is she who is coming to the sabbath… Roar of

delight at her arrival… She joins the diabolical orgy… The funeral knell tolls, burlesque parody of the Dies irae,

the dance of the witches. The dance of the witches combined with the Dies irae. The show leaves you wondering--what is real and what is illusion!

Cape Cod Regiment Explores the Opera and Classical pieces featured in several Bugs Bunny favorites

in our show "Thats all Folks"

Baton Bunny

The Rabbit of Seville

Long-Haired Hair

What's Opera Doc

The Corps of Unspecified Identity

warp-aphextwin.jpg

APHEX TWIN: Selected Ambient Works Vol. 2

Dude, Where's My Corps?

DAVE MATTHEWS BAND: Where Are You Going.

CRYSTAL CASTLES: Vanished.

OUR LADY PEACE: Where Are You.

OPERATION IVY: Gonna Find You.

The Detroit City Council

GET LOW PLAYAZ: Financial Status.

THADDEUS CARLTON: Livin' In Debt.

JUST JACK: Glory Days.

2 Q's 4 LIFE: It Over.

Edited by Chris Rohn

Finger Lake Fighters, Class A

Prayers for a Dangerous Time

Selections: The Call to Prayer--Karl Jenkins

Carmina Burana-O Fortuna

Da Pacem Domine---Arvo Part

Litany---Arvo Part

Save Me from Bloody Men---Karl Jenkins

Amazing Grace

Empire State Vanguard, Open Class

In Regards to Aching Silence

Selections:Sing Me to Heaven by Eric Whitacre

Equus by Eric Whitacre

Lux Aurumque by Eric Whitacre

Cloudburst by Eric Whitacre

October by Eric Whitacre

North East Marching Storm, World Class

Onward, Onward!

Selections:

William Tell Overture/Battle Theme from Narnia

Funeral March/Amazing Grace

Battle Theme Reprise

Confederate Regiment played a show entitled "The Wild West."

It featured the five following pieces:

- Prairie Dances, by David Holsinger, arranged for Drum Corps by Nick Hoffman

- The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, arr. Nick Hoffman

- Blazing Saddles, by John Morris, arr. Nick Hoffman

- The O.K. Corral, by Nick Hoffman

- The Wild West, by Nick Hoffman

My original composition, "The Wild West" was a medley of all the aforementioned pieces. My other original, "The O.K. Corral" is nothing to write home about, but it served its purpose, which was primarily a drum feature. I actually did arrange all of these pieces to better suit a drum corps, I just haven't gotten around to getting them on the internet. I also had drill written, but I lost it all to a computer crash. There was a "shoot-out" feature that went along with "The O.K. Corral."