History of Westshoremen Display

ON PUBLIC DISPLAY - THE MEMORABILIA OF THE WESTSHOREMEN DRUM AND BUGLE CORPS

SATURDAY APRIL 10th AND SUNDAY 11th

"64 years of corps history open to the public for one last time"

Founded in 1946 as the Longshoremen, the Westshoremen Drum and Bugle Corps have an impressive history spanning six decades. While no longer performing as a competitive drum corps, former members of the Westshoremen continue to entertain each year as a very successful alumni corps.

Memorabilia open for public viewing includes a National Championship Trophy earned in Los Angeles in the 1950's another earned at the Super Dome in New Orleans in the 1970's and a World Championship Trophy from the 1990's. Uniforms from all the decades plus instruments dating back to the 40's will be on display. Pictures, news articles, correspondence and other items too numerous to mention will be available.

Immediately following the two day presentation of "all things Westshoremen" everything will be permanently transferred to The Cumberland County Historical Society in Carlisle Pennsylvania. While the Historical Society may, from time to time, choose to display specific items from the Westshoremen's history, it is highly unlikely the entire collection will ever again be put on display.

The display will be held at the Crown Plaza Hotel, 23 South Second Street in downtown Harrisburg. Hours will be from 1:00 PM until 7:00 PM and again from 11:00 PM until 1:00 AM on Saturday April 10th. On Sunday April 11th the public hours will be from 9:00 AM until 1:00PM.

This historical presentation is being held in conjunction with the 35th Anniversary of Serenade in Brass an indoor drum and bugle concert. Serenade in Brass will be held at the Forum of the State Capitol Complex beginning on Saturday April 10th at 7:30PM. Coincidentally "Serenade in Brass" was founded by the Westshoremen 34 years ago as a fundraiser. While no longer sponsored by the Westshoremen, Serenade has become the nation’s premier indoor drum and bugle corps event.

Additional information about the Westshoremen Alumni can be found by visiting: www.WestshoremenAlumni.com

Additional information about Serenade in Brass can be found by visiting: www.FiveStarBrass.com

That sounds like an awesome display.

I wonder if it will include the "Jeff Ream: The Formative Years" exhibit? :tongue:

Fran

That sounds like an awesome display.

I wonder if it will include the "Jeff Ream: The Formative Years" exhibit? :tongue:

Fran

I'm not sure if the entire exhibit will be there, Fran, but there will be an early sound recording of a maternity nurse saying, "Lawd Almighty, that's the biggest baby I ever seen!!" And I believe they're going to include the sippy-cup in which he had his first beer.