Talk to ma about

Can you name the success stories who pulled off the field, came back and made it back up the hill?

Troopers.

DCI, I know, but they just made the top 12 for the first time in years.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thinly vailed? I was thinking if a corps owned Silk Screening machines they could save money, I was also thinking since I own a transportation company that a bus or Limo might be a good fundraiser. A 10 passenger Limo like to one I was thinking would kill and could be purchased relatively cheaply. That could be hundreds of dollars a day for an org. Everyday. If these ideas are too upsetting I'll move on.

some of these fundraising ideas are not recommended for various reasons,.............but I'm pretty sure you can't rent out transporation for a whole lot of reasons,...........liability, insurance, and licensing are the foremost in my mind at the moment for a non profit,............

some of these fundraising ideas are not recommended for various reasons,.............but I'm pretty sure you can't rent out transporation for a whole lot of reasons,...........liability, insurance, and licensing are the foremost in my mind at the moment for a non profit,............

Not sure this is the case Gary. Pioneer rents out their busses all the time. Our ski club calls Roman first when we need a bus. Bill Cook pretty much ran a charter service with the Star of Indiana busses during the off season. It was an integral part of his business plan.

Not sure this is the case Gary. Pioneer rents out their busses all the time. Our ski club calls Roman first when we need a bus. Bill Cook pretty much ran a charter service with the Star of Indiana busses during the off season. It was an integral part of his business plan.

That's why I was asking, If it's too much of a liabilty then maybe a partnership is the key. The idea is to partner up with companies that have a resource that you'd use on a regular basis. Collectives obsess about how to help each other. I ran 1 Limousine that could have easily been partnered up with a Non Profit. I tried to pitch the idea with no success. In CA. Busses are pretty easy to get, They just have to pass the DOT inspections and we'd need someone with a class A license. Maybe I should read Bill cooks book. Do we know if anyone has tried to mirror that model?

That's why I was asking, If it's too much of a liabilty then maybe a partnership is the key. The idea is to partner up with companies that have a resource that you'd use on a regular basis. Collectives obsess about how to help each other. I ran 1 Limousine that could have easily been partnered up with a Non Profit. I tried to pitch the idea with no success. In CA. Busses are pretty easy to get, They just have to pass the DOT inspections and we'd need someone with a class A license. Maybe I should read Bill cooks book. Do we know if anyone has tried to mirror that model?

Partner up with Real Estate pro's. If you get a Mortgage Loan officer to agree to donate a percentage of his business, Market the heck out of him, Bring them a loan. Have a refi fundraiser. One lucky commercial deal could raise tens of thousands of dollars. But I like the transportation idea. Hmm.

Good Examples - far more corps unfortunately simply cease to exist when they leave the field for "a year."

Plus the impact on the activity is fierce - wait 'til the revised DCA schedule comes out without Rochester and Brigs this year...

Brutal.

yep. Like I said Ray, there is no right or wrong....going both ways can be good, and it can be bad. Whichever choice a corps makes, they have to do it right

true, but today, when you look at any corps federal filings, I don't think you will find anything that eludes to this type of practice,......................I think the partnership approach like Travler is suggesting is what goes on today,........... I do know that our winter guard (LER) uses the corps coach. but we can't rent it out commercially,.........everyone on it must be a member or staff, which includes support..............

Edited by Gary Matczak

Taking a year off is NOT a good thing. Yes Cru did come back but only for a couple of years. How can they bring it back when you have Statesmen in this same city? Most of the guys that I marched with in early 00's went to Statesmen and are still there. My feeling is...go Class "A" If it's a financial thing, then fire the people who messed it up and get someone in there who can do the job right.

given the 2 corps coexisted in that city since 1983, it is possible...plus for years you had the Patriots too, and now you have the Sabres down the road.

I'll use this for example. This is an actual listing that is local to me. If anyone brought the listing agent of this property a sale, a deal can be made that the Org. would get a percentage for the referral. In this area it's typically a 30% consideration. Now there are a number of things that you need, A title company, Appraisers, Plumbers, Electricians, Inspectors, Loan Officers, Realtors, Notaries ETC. ETC. All of these professionals are perfect partners and would love to see their business card size ad in your program. Or on the side of your equipment truck. Sell a 1 foot by 1 foot squares to local businesses. Then market to companies who provide services that you need regularly.

This deal if an agent received 3% commission would bring a total of $95,250.00 or $28,000+ for the corps. Twice that if they double ended it. My point is a small team of member marketers could bring these deals in on a monthly basis. It's hard work initially but if you give your team a 20% referral fee it's a healthy living and you've made the first step towards acting collectively. This when it snowballs is an awesome tool and you've helped local business and local community members and YOU did the work. This can work with any line of business, Maybe the barber and the carpet cleaner needs engine work. The rule is don't make the person providing the service pay for what you need. If the mechanic can do it for cost plus lunch he may get a haircut for the cost of a tip. or his carpets cleaned just for paying the carpet cleaner some gas money and lunch. I know it sounds weird but sometimes our major expense is food. A partial payment with a safeway or gas card is usually suggested. If you make it more affordable people will come back and frequent you. And spread the word. Then when our members are in great shape financially we celebrate and share our technique. There is no asking for donations, You go out a bring the business in. You ask businesses, If we bring you your business could we get a cut? If you handed an agent this deal below, You could certainly bargain up your fee AND there is no way he'd pass. Now imagine partnering up with your areas largest brokerage and showing a presence at the open houses. You have to have a team that looks good in a suit and go after big ticket donors.

Recently Renovated Apartment Bldg--Silicon Valley 925 Pomeroy Ave., Santa Clara, CA 95051

$3,175,000

No. Units: 20

Building Size: 12,869 SF

Price/Unit: $158,750

Cap Rate: 6.44%

Gross Rent Multiplier:10.96

Occupancy: 95%

Highlights

NEW PRICE-Great Demographics--Average Household Income of $102,000 within 1-Mile Radius

All 20 Units Were Completely Remodeled in 2003 (Including Updated Kitchens & Bathrooms)

Close to Public Transportation & Expressways--Within Walking Distance of 2 Parks including the Santa Clara International Swim Center

Building Painted in 2007--New Roof & All New Dual Pane Windows Installed in 2002

Low Expenses & Easy to Maintain Grounds--On Site Coin-Operated Laundry Room (New Machines Owned by Landlord)-Units Separately Metered for P.G.& E.

Fantastic Location--Close to Shopping & Restaurants on Homestead & El Camino Real; near Santa Clara University

Description

NEW PRICE, MOTIVATED SELLER! Excellent opportunity to acquire a recently renovated, well maintained 20-unit apartment building in a great location in Santa Clara!

All 20 units were completely remodeled in 2003 with new cabinets and countertops in kitchens, new kitchen appliances, new flooring in kitchens and bathrooms, fresh paint, new bathroom vanities and light fixtures, new toilets, new lighting fixtures and new carpeting throughout. Newer air conditioners in most units.

The building was painted in 2007. A new roof and all new dual pane windows were installed in 2002. There are two water heaters for the building; both are newer.

Each apartment has a covered parking space and a storage space. Common area amenities include a pool, on site coin-operated laundry room with new washers and dryers (landlord owned) and an outdoor barbeque area.

Great location in a nice, quiet residential neighborhood close to shopping and restaurants on Homestead and El Camino Real; near Santa Clara University.

Close to public transportation, Lawrence & San Thomas Expressways, I-280 and US 101.

Excellent demographics, average household income of $102,000 within 1-mile radius.

Scheduled Gross Income--$289,800

Effective Gross Income--$281,322

Operating Expenses--$76,788

Net Operating Income--$204,534

given the 2 corps coexisted in that city since 1983, it is possible...plus for years you had the Patriots too, and now you have the Sabres down the road.

You know this still boggles me. I couldn't imagine having enough members in one city to make 2 corps. It's sad the west coast missed out on all those years. I didn't even know DCA existed until 2003.