Drum Corps speech

I don't know who would have these misconceptions to begin with other than old band directors and their band kids. There aren't many people outside of that group who haven't marched before that have any idea what drum corps is.

Then someone informed me that there were no trombones and I had the "trombone guy" nickname for the rest of the season. I was in the pit, what did I know about drill anyway?

The drum corps culture is packed with places where the slightest bit of newbie ignorance is sure to be met with some friendly ridicule.

You could certainly fill a segment of your speech with funny examples of hazing. There are a million atories that you could get that are better than this one.

That's funny about trombone guy, mine was corps jinx. I remember being at initiations standing nude in front of the inquisition eating a cigarette and an onion--great combo, answering questions that would determine my next punishment, going on zero sleep that night with a hand full of vasaline in my hair that didn't come out for a week, and a looooong, hot, 3 mile parade the next Sunday morning. That's just one day I manage to remember--there was worse.

Are initiations as ruthless as they were bitd?

Misconceptions: all members are from wealthy families, all brass and percussion members are music majors.

Life in drum corps: winter camps, everydays, sleeping on the bus/gym floors, laundry, free days, rehearsal time, performing.

Do a search on here to find the quote from Bobby Knight after watching a corp rehearse (Star) and how impressed he was how hard everyone worked and that he thought if his BB team practiced that hard they'd be twice the team they are (or something like that).

The top 3 of your misconceptions are pretty true. I mean for the top three corps they are. I would even say for the top 5 corps. Look at Spirit JSU was pretty much in that realm. Not even close to top anything. Even back in the day. 1979 we were pretty much well off. Most of them, not me. And many, were college music majors. In practice that is. No degree yet.

Edited by Jimisback

I choose to do a speech for my Communication 110 class on Drum Corps life. It is a ''culture/exsplanation speech'' it must includ a breif history, and my involvement in the activety which should be easy. Also, I must talk about the missconceptions about drum corps, and there I might have some trouble. Finally the speech must include some kind of lesson or interesting info about what I do. Forinstance, drum corps terms that we use in the activety, and or what life on tour is like. If you guys could give me any suggestions on how I should approach this speech that would rock! Thank you!!!

Misconceptions?

Hmmmm.....you get paid to do it.

I don't know how many times I told people I marched drum corps and they asked me "Did you get paid?" and I tell them "I wish. I have to pay to do it."

Once the general public sees drum corps, no one has a single clue of how difficult drum corps is. At least I don't think anyone will understand. I tell people that drum corps is like participating in athletics, and I tell people how you can have a marching rehearsal for 4 hours, sectionals for 3 hours, and 2 hours of ensemble for spring training, and less rehearsal time during tour. 200+ pages of drill, actually memorizing where you are supposed to go on the field, marching backwards and you can't see behind you, yet you just trust everyone around you....

People who have marched drum corps will understand, but people who have never heard of drum corps may never understand. It boggles their mind and they would never do what we do, yet they become amazed.

Now you're asking about drum corps terms? Here's one: tour goggles. :thumbdown:

I am doing a speech on why drum corps should be considered a sport. If anyone wants to help pm your opinion.

Misconceptions : that it's predominently a musical and dance actvity that produces a show on a football field performed by mostly young gays and band geeks.. This is one of the biggest myths for those with only a cursory knowledge of Drum Corps.

And by all means, do NOT bring up that Bobby Knight likes the work ethic of those who march Drum Corps. Do not even mention Bobby Knight and Drum Corps. In most quarters, Bobby Knight is viewed as a dinosaur Basketball Coach that was an insufferable bully that used to sometimes assault student athletes in his charge, ( ie put hand on student throat ) publically humiliate his players ( including his own Son), use profanity, threats of violence, intimdation, etc routinely as motivators, and had almost constant temper trantrum outbursts that included throwing of furniture and outbursts of screams of anger with press corps interviewers, among other examples of unacceptable human bad behaviours. Bobby Knight would not last 10 seconds on the staff of any Drum Corps with such outrageous, immature, violent prone exhibited behaviours.

Edited by BRASSO