2009 retreat

There was really no thrill involved with playing a crappy arrangement with all the other corps, trying to figure out when to play and when not to play amidst the chaos that is retreat. Sucked, actually. It was definitely all for the fans - there was nothing exciting about mass brass at all.

i did one of those in DCA, and yeah, I could have thought of more ways to have fun. However, sometimes, it's cool to remember those fans who help pay the bills

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mass playing isn't good for anyone. It's hated by members and staffs, and it's underwhelming and disappointing for audiences. It never works, and has never worked at finals retreat. The only time mass playing works is when you get two (maybe three) corps playing together in an arc. It's not liked much by members and staffs, but at least it can be a good experience for the audience.

Yeah.. .I really am tired of the selfish attitude that comes from some corps members. I don't know why you would want to do this activity if you don't like to perform. That is the point of the activity. Mass brass is always a great thing for the fans. I hate when I hear "don't pay attention to the crowd" from staff and different members. I feel like that is where the disconnect starts (meh... it actually starts with show design). The problem with that is that kids react to crowds the wrong way sometimes... like a dead crowd gets them bummed.. and it shows in the performance... hell a dead crowd pisses me off.. and it makes me want to give them more of what I have. (Only problem is... that I can't be the only one to do it).

As far as 2009 retreat. I'm glad I didn't make finals. That was a complete embarrassment and an insult to the activity. It was embarrassing enough sitting in the stands. Hope it changes back to the way it was.

Mass playing isn't good for anyone. It's hated by members and staffs, and it's underwhelming and disappointing for audiences. It never works, and has never worked at finals retreat.

As an audience member, I enjoy it and have not been disappointed at finals retreat by mass brass, with the caveat that I would prefer not to have heard the nonsense at the end in 2008. Leaving it out in 2009 was an overreaction.

Of course we knew in Allentown who was winning finals. Did anyone seriously think Saturday that BD wasn't the champ?

I know it was a long shot, but one might have said the same thing if BD had won 2008. I was in a rather large group of fans hoping Crown would do it.

1) Instead of the hornline playing (and this is biased a lot), I'd rather see a snareline lines up against the back sideline with basses and tenors and cymbals arcing into the endzones and playing like some basic sh** or have something everyone can play. That would be sweet in the oil can. I know the logic of it so don't blast me to bits for this...lol

2) I was dissapointed by not having the whole hornlines playing something at the end. I thought they did at every finals and then...no?

3) Order, eh...whoever wins, wins....

I know it was a long shot, but one might have said the same thing if BD had won 2008. I was in a rather large group of fans hoping Crown would do it.

Except that the Cavies beat BD in Allentown in 2008.

Except that the Cavies beat BD in Allentown in 2008.

good point

I'm gonna open an old can of worms here but was the retreat in '08 that bad? People being drunk on the field aside (cause I'm sure that's never happened before. -_-) All we had were a couple trumpet players playing obscene things but, correct me if I'm wrong, isn't that always the case? Most of the people around myself (including me) thought it was quite funny and just the kids blowing off some steam from the season. Comments?

I'm gonna open an old can of worms here but was the retreat in '08 that bad?

It was embarrassing for the corps and for the activity. Individual expression isn't an option in drum corps. That's not some facist sentiment I'm expressing. Playing the music as written and rehearsed is fundamental. Surrender that, and it's over.

HH