WGI 2010 - reflecting back on the past 3 days

Will

Just a few notable thoughts as I look back on the 2010 WGI Color Guard World Championships:

- WGI program: my biggest disappointment of the entire event. I know the economy is under stress, but this years program was more like a tiny magazine. I would have GLADLY paid $20 for the larger version of past years. The omission of regional results was sad, and the general lack of anything interesting seemed like a total cop-out.

- Mission Viejo High School (CA): Probably one of the most notable SO groups, Mission Viejo certainly has proven itself time and time again. 16 Scholastic Open finals appearances with their last medal (silver) in 1998. Twelve years later, how exciting it must be for the guard of 2010 to bring home the bronze medal!!

- West Johnston High School (NC): Despite losing a member of the WJ color guard just a week ago, the performers gave an outstanding show and brought home the gold!! What a great way to close out their season.

- Center Grove High School (IN): This may have well been my favorite Center Grove color guard show since 1999. 27 (the most of any scholastic world group) finals appearances. Just simply remarkable.

- Blessed Sacrament (MA): 31 CONSECUTIVE finals appearances. WOW.

- Sonnor (QUE) celebrated it's 25th anniversary with a return to the Independent World classification; there was a member representing each decade of the guards existence (the 1980s, 1990s, and 00s), and the props were replica's of the famed 1991 "Bringing in the 90s" show.

- The O Foundation (sponsor of Onyx and O2) brought home two gold medals in one day. After 21 years, Onyx captured their first medal (gold no less!!) in the world class, with their sister guard, O2, capturing gold in IO. Congratulations!!

- Pride of Cincinnati (OH): Perhaps the biggest crowd response ever to a color guard show, Pride brought flower power and pure fun to the WGI crowd. A true delight that will go down in history as one of the best shows ever.

- Collins Hill High School (GA): winning the equipment caption in Scholastic A finals (with an impressive 19.3!), an unfortunate skipping soundtrack dragged the group out of a medalist postion to 5th place. HOWEVER, they gave the performance that, for me, was among best of the entire weekend.

- Northern Academy (UK): a fun, campy production and strong equipment skills carried our friends "across the pond" into IO finals - well done!!

- Opus X's whirlwhind drill and choreography (and GORGEOUS hand painted flags!)

- James Logan's astounding performance bringing them their 11th gold medal!

- Marian Catholic's funeral procession - simply stunning!!

- Tarpon Springs High School's closing flag feature - WOW!!!

- First Flight (NC): closing flag feature - amazing!

I have to add that I loved the fact that there were "semi" rounds in all classes this year. Even if you couldn't compete for a finalist spot - it still gave members a chance for a second performance - and that's awesome!

Later,

Mike

P.S - thanks for the Sonnor shout out Will!

The "WGI Program" if you wanna call it that was a joke. I'm supposed to put that with my collection that dates back to 1981??? No thanks - I passed on that one.

Just a few notable thoughts as I look back on the 2010 WGI Color Guard World Championships:

- WGI program: my biggest disappointment of the entire event. I know the economy is under stress, but this years program was more like a tiny magazine. I would have GLADLY paid $20 for the larger version of past years. The omission of regional results was sad, and the general lack of anything interesting seemed like a total cop-out.

- Mission Viejo High School (CA): Probably one of the most notable SO groups, Mission Viejo certainly has proven itself time and time again. 16 Scholastic Open finals appearances with their last medal (silver) in 1998. Twelve years later, how exciting it must be for the guard of 2010 to bring home the bronze medal!!

- West Johnston High School (NC): Despite losing a member of the WJ color guard just a week ago, the performers gave an outstanding show and brought home the gold!! What a great way to close out their season.

- Center Grove High School (IN): This may have well been my favorite Center Grove color guard show since 1999. 27 (the most of any scholastic world group) finals appearances. Just simply remarkable.

- Blessed Sacrament (MA): 31 CONSECUTIVE finals appearances. WOW.

- Sonnor (QUE) celebrated it's 25th anniversary with a return to the Independent World classification; there was a member representing each decade of the guards existence (the 1980s, 1990s, and 00s), and the props were replica's of the famed 1991 "Bringing in the 90s" show.

- The O Foundation (sponsor of Onyx and O2) brought home two gold medals in one day. After 21 years, Onyx captured their first medal (gold no less!!) in the world class, with their sister guard, O2, capturing gold in IO. Congratulations!!

- Pride of Cincinnati (OH): Perhaps the biggest crowd response ever to a color guard show, Pride brought flower power and pure fun to the WGI crowd. A true delight that will go down in history as one of the best shows ever.

- Collins Hill High School (GA): winning the equipment caption in Scholastic A finals (with an impressive 19.3!), an unfortunate skipping soundtrack dragged the group out of a medalist postion to 5th place. HOWEVER, they gave the performance that, for me, was among best of the entire weekend.

- Northern Academy (UK): a fun, campy production and strong equipment skills carried our friends "across the pond" into IO finals - well done!!

- Opus X's whirlwhind drill and choreography (and GORGEOUS hand painted flags!)

- James Logan's astounding performance bringing them their 11th gold medal!

- Marian Catholic's funeral procession - simply stunning!!

- Tarpon Springs High School's closing flag feature - WOW!!!

- First Flight (NC): closing flag feature - amazing!

I'm guessing they just don't sell enough yearbooks to cover the production costs - that's the only reason I can think of.

Later,

Mike

The "WGI Program" if you wanna call it that was a joke. I'm supposed to put that with my collection that dates back to 1981??? No thanks - I passed on that one.

Youre being kind Trish ! If I were an advertiser I would be ###### let alone it used to be an honor for a guard to be in it.NOT ANYMORE. Who would have actually paid for that junk? I hope they lost their shirts on it although I doubt it. Kinda looked homemade.........

The "program" looked more like an Avon catalog. It really is disappointing that the state of WGI has gotten to the point where they have to stop something that I know kids waited for each season. I know we had very few parents buy the program this year.

HA! I said TV Guide, but Avon catalog is probably better!

The "program" looked more like an Avon catalog. It really is disappointing that the state of WGI has gotten to the point where they have to stop something that I know kids waited for each season. I know we had very few parents buy the program this year.

Yes the program was sad...quite sad, as with Trish this ruins my run of programs since 1980. I agree with Mike that adding semi's for all classes was a great improvement for the performers AND audience. It gave people one more chance to experience the world guards.

I also want to add a 'shout out' to the the volunteers that ran all the events. From my experience this year, they were all pleasant and helpful. I did not hear of one complaint and every venue seemed to run smoothly.

I will say this was one of the best World Class finals I have been to in sometime. Very few 'hotdog' guards in my opinion...I enjoyed so many of them for many reasons! I was entertained and I truly appreciate that.