Surprises from Open Class Corps

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not so sure Spartans can pull off such a quick recovery as top 3 after a year off, but they're good, so there's no doubt in my mind that they're not going to fall too far behind.

Pretty confident VK will do just fine, I see progress. The show music is primarily similar in the fact that it switches styles so frequently.

On all of this, I really think that, especially in open class, it's really difficult to make predictions unless you're seeing the rehearsals.

From what i was told since the citations went inactive the all went to the spartans. So DO NOT be surprised is Spartans finish top 5 if not higher

7th's hornline is nearly double what is was last year. It's going to be a good year for them.

You know, I saw 7th in a parade on Sunday in Connecticut (I was in the parade too and was a few group ahead of them, so I couldn't see them up close), and they did look alot bigger this year than last year.

From what i was told since the citations went inactive the all went to the spartans. So DO NOT be surprised is Spartans finish top 5 if not higher

I can assure you that NOT ALL of the Citations members from last year went to Spartans this year. There are some members who went elsewhere...

Then again let's think about Citations and what really made them reach top 3. Obviously their color guard, but word on street is that Spartans have under 16 color guard now, their percussion finished only what 11 or 10th in finals, and their brass somewhere in the middle? And Spartans are notorious for signing members on a contract to only march a spot, not needing to play a horn.

And CitBos...that is what the word on the DCI street is that 7th did grow in numbers and apparently are reading to take the field by storm. I aged out in Div 1...sorry "world class" in 2006 and just recently started paying attention to open class because my younger siblings have been marching with SCVC for the past few years, but honestly 7th has that fairy tale story, I do remember seeing them in I want to say 05, maybe in 06 and they were just flat out a sad excuse for a drum corps but now...all anyone can say about them is "####".

What are peoples takes on the Oregon Crusaders?

Then again let's think about Citations and what really made them reach top 3. Obviously their color guard, but word on street is that Spartans have under 16 color guard now, their percussion finished only what 11 or 10th in finals, and their brass somewhere in the middle? And Spartans are notorious for signing members on a contract to only march a spot, not needing to play a horn.

And CitBos...that is what the word on the DCI street is that 7th did grow in numbers and apparently are reading to take the field by storm. I aged out in Div 1...sorry "world class" in 2006 and just recently started paying attention to open class because my younger siblings have been marching with SCVC for the past few years, but honestly 7th has that fairy tale story, I do remember seeing them in I want to say 05, maybe in 06 and they were just flat out a sad excuse for a drum corps but now...all anyone can say about them is "####".

What are peoples takes on the Oregon Crusaders?

Yea, I do remember competing against 7th a few years ago, and not to be mean towards them but they weren't that great. But they (the corps as a whole) has gotten alot better over the past couple of years. There's no doubt in my mind that they'll finish above 12th this year.

I am putting my money on Music City to be the cinderella story at DCI this year.

Yea, I do remember competing against 7th a few years ago, and not to be mean towards them but they weren't that great. But they (the corps as a whole) has gotten alot better over the past couple of years. There's no doubt in my mind that they'll finish above 12th this year.
I am putting my money on Music City to be the cinderella story at DCI this year.

It won't be too hard for either 7th or Music City to place higher this year as five of the corps that placed higher than them last year won't be competing in OC championships. I think the biggest question will be, how well will Genesis, Forte and Platinum perform. The only corps that could potentially keep Music City out of Finals would be Colt Cadets but I think that would be a big stretch considering the age difference between the two corps.

The good news (or bad, depending on your point of view) is that Les Stentors, Blue Saints, and Spirit of Newark seem to be guaranteed a semi-finalist spot. The question for them is Strangnas. Two years ago DCI listed their score as a OC corps. Does anyone know if they qualify as an OC corps under the DCI age requirement? Most European corps don't.

why do you think music city? what more is there to them than that last year was their 1st year out and they placed last in finals? not really a big deal, no "cinderella" story to them at all.

Did you even see them at all? For their first year I was surprised on how well they did.

As far as Citations...I'm glad now that it is an accepted fact that the only thing that let them finish top 3 was visual. Guard was great and their drill was super duper easy. So yea, not hard to win visual like that over randomness from Teal or challenging drill like Cap Reg (which was part of our weakness in scores). BDB and SCVC..politics a you know what