Quick contract question

I once heard after a member signs a contract after May 1st he cannot change corps without the directors permission.

Is this true?

And what if the member quits during spring training does he still need permission from former corps if he finds another during the summer?

I once heard after a member signs a contract after May 1st he cannot change corps without the directors permission.

Is this true?

And what if the member quits during spring training does he still need permission from former corps if he finds another during the summer?

Every contract in DCI that I have ever seen holds both of those to be true; and I believe that it is a DCI organizational rule, but might be mistaken. The reason contracts are written this way is not to be cruel to the performer, but to keep corps from engaging in the horrible act of "enticing" members of other corps to jump ship or quit and come over to "their" corps.

Does anyone know where I can check this info? A student of mine left a corps due to personal reasons but is seeking another group.

Your student (and parents if a minor) needs to talk directly to the original corps administration.

It's spelled out pretty clearly in the contract the student signed. Hopefully he/she read it before signing. Either way, yeah they'll need permission from the director who's corps owns the contract to pursue another group.

The member in question should have read the document that he agreed to. He should know what is in it. If he wants to march somewhere else he needs to get permission from the corps he was at first.

It's so you can't quit Corps A (for any reason) and then show up the next day at Corps B. Then corps could try to steal each other's members.

Is this true?

A few years ago DCI approved a new rule that allows members to leave a corps for another corps until the first show of the season. So, they do not need permission to go somewhere else. Now, that does not man they will get all of the money they paid in to the previous corps though.

These "contracts" are not really contracts at all. A contract is an agreement between two parties, and these are not binding. So, they are just window dressing. It helps ease members minds more than anything.

Some corps don't even offer contracts. I know that The Cavaliers don't and I don't believe that the blue devils do either. My guess is a lot of the top tier corps don't.

I don't see why anyone would jump ship after May 1st unless they had an issue with Corps A and decided Corps B would be better. Before May 1st, I'm assuming it doesn't matter??

These "contracts" are not really contracts at all. A contract is an agreement between two parties, and these are not binding. So, they are just window dressing. It helps ease members minds more than anything.

Can you expand on this? Why are they not really contracts?

Can you expand on this? Why are they not really contracts?

For a number of reasons. Number one is they are not legally binding. Most of these are written up by corps staff and not lawyers. So, there is very little chance of it holding up in court. Also because a member can sign a contract and decide to flake out (quit) without paying, but they expect the corps to hold up their end of the bargain and keep them in the line even if they get lazy, fat, or complacent. That to me is not a contract if one party must hold up their end of the bargain and the other can back out whenever they want. Also, not all corps do the contract thing so I don't see why corps would (or even could) enforece a contract if not all corps use contracts. When I marched I never even heard about a contract. You were in until they told you to stop coming. Sometimes people would be told to stop coming and would ignore that until they got a spot.