Horn finish and sound

Yes, mouthpieces and bore sizes do affect the sound, but the finish probably affects it the most. I know a college horn player (who played in the South Park soundtrack) that bought a new Holton horn and immediately scraped all of the lacquer off because of the darker sound it provided.

And while all of these things affect Crown's sound, Michael Klesch's BRILLIANT arranging style has a dramatic impact too.

There is no way that finish effects sound more than mouthpiece and bore size. You are correct that lacquer/plating vs. the complete absence of lacquer/plating is a bigger difference, but still not close to what a mouthpiece can do.

Mouthpiece selection, bore size, and playing technique, end of story. Overall horn quality is an issue that can effect tone quality, but I'm guessing that all of the top corps are relatively comparable in the quality of their instruments.

There's a minor difference, but not that much. It's one of those "if you were blindfolded, you'd never know" situations.

From a physics standpoint, the material the horn is made from makes no difference in the sound whatsoever. Not saying I fully agree with that, but I'd definitely say that the material plays a far less important role in quality of sound than the GEOMETRY of the horn.

There was a question about this directed to Michael Klesch during the Q&A last night. He said that they were happy overall with the sound produced by the brass (not gold) line...a good combination of darkness and brilliance (I think that's the word he used) with decent projection. He also said that there still tinkering with the low brass (specifically baritone) mouthpieces to find the right match for the horns.