Colts 2010

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So my question is...What do you feel the Colts are doing "wrong?" What is holding them back competitively? 2007 saw a VERY competitive Red Team (also a very mature corps) but since then, it's been a challenge to maintain that level of performance. What can they do to improve, in your eyes?

Here's what I think IMO:

They need a new staff, the drill designer this year isn't great, there aren't any wow moments to the drill. The visual team seems like they are trying there best, lots of visuals but lots of dirt too. This could be because it is a younger corp (I don't know if this is true). They need to sit down and watch a few of the most memorable shows that moved corps up from standing outside finals and what they did to get into finals. 2007 was great for the corps because the drill was good and the brass was on top of their game with J.Buck (back with Blue Knights I believe). Ray V. is doing great with the hornline, I think he is doing better with Colts than he did with Spirit. I don't know what happen with the colorguard, I know recently they have had a pretty good guard, this year it looks like they are struggling with easier work.

I root for these guys and I know they work hard. I love their attitude toward the activity but without a doubt it does hurt them in some aspects. BD trys to be number one every year, it's their goal. Colts try to put on a crowd pleasing show without worry of placements. I think if Colts can join the two thoughts, fix key staff issues, find a way to recruit top 12 talent, then they will have a top 10 corps. Getting the top 12 talent isn't necessarily a make or break I don't think. With the right staff, any group of kids can create a masterpiece on the field.

I like the show this year, I think it has potential but they need four things IMO: A wow moment for Brass, Guard, visual, and percussion. Everything is middle of the road. Throw stuff in that will make the audience remember you. I remember the "death star" from 2007, it was fast and exciting.

Here's what I think IMO:

They need a new staff, the drill designer this year isn't great, there aren't any wow moments to the drill. The visual team seems like they are trying there best, lots of visuals but lots of dirt too. This could be because it is a younger corp (I don't know if this is true). They need to sit down and watch a few of the most memorable shows that moved corps up from standing outside finals and what they did to get into finals. 2007 was great for the corps because the drill was good and the brass was on top of their game with J.Buck (back with Blue Knights I believe). Ray V. is doing great with the hornline, I think he is doing better with Colts than he did with Spirit. I don't know what happen with the colorguard, I know recently they have had a pretty good guard, this year it looks like they are struggling with easier work.

I root for these guys and I know they work hard. I love their attitude toward the activity but without a doubt it does hurt them in some aspects. BD trys to be number one every year, it's their goal. Colts try to put on a crowd pleasing show without worry of placements. I think if Colts can join the two thoughts, fix key staff issues, find a way to recruit top 12 talent, then they will have a top 10 corps. Getting the top 12 talent isn't necessarily a make or break I don't think. With the right staff, any group of kids can create a masterpiece on the field.

I like the show this year, I think it has potential but they need four things IMO: A wow moment for Brass, Guard, visual, and percussion. Everything is middle of the road. Throw stuff in that will make the audience remember you. I remember the "death star" from 2007, it was fast and exciting.

I was around for a while with the Colts, and I know steph isnt happy with them outside of the top 12, along with the rest of the staff. I know they are trying to push the corp and get them into the top 12. I just believe its about a 50 50 split between the kids, half of them want to push and be in the top 12, and the other half believe the point difference is too much to overcome and have become okay with being the 13th place corp that just makes the crowd happy. If the second half of the kids can hop on the idea of making finals i think they can make a huge push these last few weeks and make some noise going into atl and on.

• 1 month later...