Madison (Middleton) Review 6/26/10

Something about going to the Madison show always feels like a homecoming. Despite the humidity that kept us all sticky, the show was awesome. I bought my ticket at the gate -- General Admission because the center sections were already sold out -- but still managed to get a pretty good seat.

It was also kind of nice to be sitting near family members of young people who aren't yet in drum corps but are "in training" (their words, not mine) with their local summer youth band. They were genuinely friendly and yes, they kept calling the corps bands but it occurred to me that these people were going to be around for probably at least the next 10 years since their 13 year old snare drummer just started in his band.. it seemed like I might come off a little snobby if I started correcting them right off the bat.. so I didn't.. and they started to ask questions about instrumentation and rules and section sizes.. so I figure, they'll be around long enough to get corrected on their own. Great seat mates, though :)

I liked the little dance demonstration we got at the beginning of the night.. though I thought it went on a little long.. and when the crowd groaned and wouldn't clap, I couldn't help but stand up and clap loudly, saying, "hey, they're out there working and sweating, too!"

Kilties came up first and I'll admit I haven't seen them in a few years. I'm pleased to see the progress, not only in execution but also in programming. I'm an opera snob though, so I wish there was more "opera" in their "Night at the Opera" show.. but I also realize most people's exposure to "opera" is the Bugs Bunny opera spoof cartoon and their music was fairly representative of that. Love their brass sound and their command of the music is really great for this time of year. Hats (or tams) off to you, Kilties. You made this old plaid girl proud.

Minnesota Brass seems to be making a serious bid for the title this year.. not that they haven't in the past, and I wasn't all that thrilled to see yet another Blue Devils show rehashed in the senior circuit.. but in all honesty, I can see where they could take it.. and I could see where they could challenge with it. Caravan was well designed and there's room for growth, room for improvement -- even though they are already so good with what they have on the field now. I enjoyed the familiar charts and their treatments of them.. brass is.. well.. brass for crying out loud.. they're always good. Their drumline really surprised me with some tasty licks..

I'll come back in a few hours and continue my review. I have more to say, but am going to be late for a very important birthday party if I keep going.

MORE TO COME!!

Okay I'm back!

Racine Scouts have been working diligently on music and it shows. They do a lovely job of performing Gershwin's familiar themes and at times that performance is a little careful but the show is coherent and the small but talented corps does a great job. I do miss the chrome domes, though. I will admit I was tweeting during the show (though, being new to the twitterverse, I was apparently only tweeting myself) and I think what I said at the time was "the chrome domes with no chrome and no domes!" -- how can we help them get those back?

When Colt Cadets came onto the field, I noticed right away they seem.. not.. BIGGER but definitely OLDER. Seems like their average age has gone up and that also shows in their performance. They march like Colts. They play like Colts. They are endearing like Colts. I don't want to draw a line between them and Colts because I think no matter which corps a kid is in at any given time, it sure looks like s/he is a Colt. Period. Loved their show.. I think it was about sorcery or wizardry but it wasn't all Harry Potter -- which I'm glad for. It was unique and original and I wish I had had a program because their ballad was really pretty and vaguely familiar. Loved it: top to bottom.

Right after Colt Cadets, I had a chance to run down onto the field and see some long lost friends so I took it. While we were in the middle of hugs and hellos, I heard the announcer say, "ON THE FIELD" and I turned around and there was Pioneer. I thought WOAH! because there was a LOT of kids on the field and I quickly sat down, realizing I wouldn't make it back to my seat in time. Because of that, I didn't get a look at anything visual but I remembered someone tweeting about Pioneer's guard in choir robes and all they said was.. "choir robes = no" but you know.. in the context of the show, I thought the choir robes were perfect. Unfortunately, I also thought they should have left them on.. more black and green velvet? Really? Again? Now.. the hornline? I was sitting there with my friends and we all that the same shocked look on our faces at the brassline's first "Hello!" After the ballad started and the cross was being danced with, Lynn leaned over and said, "what would Jesus say about that?" I said, "you know, Jesus would probably say, 'OH, ME! where'd that hornline come from?'" I hurried back up to my seat while they were lining up to troupe the stands.. in time to get to my seat and hear the sweet little old lady sitting behind me saying, "wow! I wouldn't want to have to follow that Milwaukee Band!" That about sums it up, folks. :) Great Job, Pio!

As Glassmen were taking the field, the snare drummer's mom said to me, "WOW! Their color guard is practically the whole band!" I kind of chuckled and just told her as the show goes later, the corps will get bigger and better since they're usually slated to play similar to how/where they placed last year with a few exceptions." As they were setting up and the show title was announced, the snare drummer's dad told me, "they're doing a lot of praying this year!" I thought that was print-worthy. Another friend who'd been at Normal had told me yesterday morning she thought Glassmen was going to be a hot dog corps.. I had higher hopes. I'm glad I stuck it out -- the beginning is quiet and slow and takes a LONG time to develop... but ultimately, I think the show ends beautifully. I am hopeful that the opener gets some needed tweaks. I also thought the way the show is programmed and designed is very reminiscent of the style of show Cavaliers were doing ca. 2004-2006.. onlyNow they were at about 3/4 of the tempo. Obviously, at this time of year, Cavaliers were probably at that tempo, too.. overall, though, I'm going against my friend's "hot dog corps" determination on Glassmen. I really liked it.

I was watching Blue Stars carry on all the boxes and props and I got a quick, disappointing glimpse of the uniform which is sorely lacking in actual blue. They're kind of the grey with blue accents stars.. and I will admit I tweeted as such (check me out, confessing my tweets!).. but then the show began.. and the guard was half in their straight jackets -- again, not having a program I was at a little bit of a loss -- but then they climbed into the coffin/boxes and I was like, "OH! Houdini!!" .. and the show just kept getting better. The hornline is spectacular.. the drums are out of this world and the guard.. Holy Crap.. any guard that can do work HANDS-FREE and be even marginally clean in JUNE can make me even forgive that uniform! Total Corps-Brass-M. and yes, I'll be copyrighting that. You may use it as long as you credit me.

Towards the end of the Houdini show, I was distracted to see young men wearing the uniform of the corps I'd driven an hour to see standing in the far endzone. it's no secret that I volunteer with and adore the Cavaliers so believe me I'll do my best not to gush but I can make no promises. I've been listening to this show develop since last winter.. for me, it was the first time seeing ANY of it all together on the field. I will say, I was pleasantly surprised with a lot of it. There were laughs and, indeed, a mid-show standing ovation.. truly.. though one of the boys I talked to in the lot after the show laughingly told me it was because their pre-show is so long, everybody thought it was the end of the show.. (he was kidding.) The corps is performing a show that has characteristic bravado, humor, cheekiness and power.. but there are obvious gaps in what I've come to expect as "whole package drum corps." At this stage of the season, I attribute the gap to the calendar.. knowing that the show I watched tonight will be distantly related to the show they perform in Indianapolis.. it was exciting to know that there will be development.. and there is MUCH cleaning to be done.. but it doesn't hurt that a piece of music from my shameful 1980s past weaves in and out like an old friend reminding me he's still around if i need him. So proud of you, boys!

I'd like to say the Cadets coming onto the field did not generate any kind of negative furor as I was lead to believe would happen as a result of the recent.. um.. rules developments.. and I'm really glad. I was able to just enjoy the show -- led off by a relative local "drum major Jeffy" -- and enjoy it I did. This is going to be a very popular program. Not only is it a buoyant, gleeful performance, they already have sections of blistering brass and percussion features which are, admittedly, dirty as bare feet in flip flops on a dirt road... right now. They're going to get better. a LOT better... but I will say (and I told a few of their staff and volunteers I talked to on the way out of the stadium) in all honesty, this is one of my favorite Cadets shows in recent history. The way I feel watching it brings me back to the days when I wanted more than anything to be a Garfield Cadet.

Now, I was anticipating this last show of the night tremendously. I have been reserved in my expectations of the Madison Scouts for a number of years. I don't deny that and I won't apologize for it. I have been critical, sometimes harshly, of their visual program and lack of basics for a LONG time.. but I have to say that has all been changed. I will say that I found their new marching style BRILLIANTLY simple and, more importantly, CONSISTENT from member to member -- even in the drumline. Now, I liked the guard.. though I wasn't crazy about the uniforms.. I got the black and white movie idea.. but.. meh.. that doesn't overshadow the fact they they have skills.. and I mean skills. I also enjoyed the music that was programmed.. clearly a throwback show but with a lot of modern twists. I've always thought that all the Scouts have needed for quite some time (basics program aside) was for someone to weave elements of what drum corps has BECOME in with the framework of what it WAS and they would hold "the better mousetrap" in the palms of their hands.. appealing to judges and audiences. I will say I almost rolled my eyes out of my head when some guy stood up before a note had been played and shouted, "now that's REAL drum corps!" -- No one clapped or jumped in.. I just thought, man.. join us. Get yourself a cell phone that isn't the size of a lap dog, feel free to upgrade your computer from a 386 and then maybe you'll be relevant.

harsh? yeah.. but man.. it's old. Ugh.

Great show.. universally, I think it's going to be a VERY entertaining year. I liked ALL the corps.. and I can't wait til my next trip into the stands.

Stef

I've always thought that all the Scouts have needed for quite some time (basics program aside) was for someone to weave elements of what drum corps has BECOME in with the framework of what it WAS and they would hold "the better mousetrap" in the palms of their hands.. appealing to judges and audiences.

Kind of left my train of thought at the station, there..

Point is.. they've done it. Built the better mousetrap.

I didn't get a look at anything visual but I remembered someone tweeting about Pioneer's guard in choir robes and all they said was.. "choir robes = no" but you know.. in the context of the show, I thought the choir robes were perfect. Unfortunately, I also thought they should have left them on.. more black and green velvet? Really? Again? Now.. the hornline? I was sitting there with my friends and we all that the same shocked look on our faces at the brassline's first "Hello!" After the ballad started and the cross was being danced with, Lynn leaned over and said, "what would Jesus say about that?" I said, "you know, Jesus would probably say, 'OH, ME! where'd that hornline come from?'" I hurried back up to my seat while they were lining up to troupe the stands.. in time to get to my seat and hear the sweet little old lady sitting behind me saying, "wow! I wouldn't want to have to follow that Milwaukee Band!" That about sums it up, folks. :) Great Job, Pio!

Thanks for the nice review about Pioneer. Just wanted everyone to know that the uniforms the guard is wearing are only temporary. We have new uniforms for them this season but they arrived later than expected (they are now in Milwaukee waiting for our return in a few days).

Also, the rest of the corps will be performing in their new uniforms on our second tour.

Again, thanks for the comments.

I will say I almost rolled my eyes out of my head when some guy stood up before a note had been played and shouted, "now that's REAL drum corps!" -- No one clapped or jumped in.. I just thought, man.. join us. Get yourself a cell phone that isn't the size of a lap dog, feel free to upgrade your computer from a 386 and then maybe you'll be relevant.

So what would be considered relevant to you? Someone with an iPhone4 and a netbook? :thumbup:

So what would be considered relevant to you? Someone with an iPhone4 and a netbook? :thumbup:

No, I might consider someone relevant who made a pronouncement like his AFTER hearing a note or two.. from where I was sitting, it seemed my determination of his lack of relevance was supported by the crowd who didn't support HIM.. even though he said it about the Scouts AT their HOME SHOW.

it's just a review, dude. Opinions only.

have a great season!

Stef