Madison's visual program

Scouts will be performing their product at an extremely high level come August. Question is, is the visual portion of that product their Achilles heel this year? The music is what everyone wants to hear, but the show seems so S-L-O-W. I know there will be changes, but you can't re-write the whole drill (just ask Phantom). I think going with the throwback music was a great idea, but the throwback drill could keep them from the Saturday night fever I'm afraid.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scouts will be performing their product at an extremely high level come August. Question is, is the visual portion of that product their Achilles heel this year? The music is what everyone wants to hear, but the show seems so S-L-O-W. I know there will be changes, but you can't re-write the whole drill (just ask Phantom). I think going with the throwback music was a great idea, but the throwback drill could keep them from the Saturday night fever I'm afraid.

I couldnt disagree with you more. I believe that while the drill needs cleaning, that the staff is fully capable of throwing down overall.

Right now, visual GE and ensemble are their weakest captions.

Over the past few years, color guard has had an increasing impact on visual GE. This is good news for Scouts since they have a relatively strong guard this year. Also, it's easier to make changes to guard drill/movement/equipment work. They don't need to change the entire drill, just add movement and equipment work and maybe change the staging in some areas.

It will be interesting to see how Madison's visual numbers fare when guard is judged separately. If their guard scores well, then it could lift their entire visual program.

It's also worth looking at their music numbers. Drums are a bit behind glassmen, but madison's music ensemble scores are well ahead. This suggests that madison's brass scores will be much better than glassmen's and that could lift the scouts when brass is judged separately.

In terms of tempo, there are some opportunities to pump it up in Slaughter. Also, I am expecting a new ending to Rhapsody with some kaleidoscopic drill.

Edited by vferrera

I agree with Vince about adding visual effects. In fact, I noticed that significantly more equipment work

was added for the Cedarburg show. Also, the new opener flags were unvailed, which bring a very nice addition

of color to the show. If I know this staff, they will be adding and layering new things into the show

as the summer progresses. I think you will see a nice rise in their visual scores. Even so, I remember

Jim Mason stating his goals back in January, and one of those is to solidly establish a basic program that can

be built upon in the years to come. To me this means that we might have to wait until next year to see

a Madison show that is packed with insanely fast drill. In the mean time, I have been thoroughly enjoying their

highly entertaining and powerful 2010 show!

....after attending 3 Madison shows, I think the horns/drums/pit is fine.

Its the guard. They blend into the corps during the show.

Where is the color?

Even if they just added a red belt or suspendors, it would help a lot. Or have them wear something white, bright white would help.

....after attending 3 Madison shows, I think the horns/drums/pit is fine.

Its the guard. They blend into the corps during the show.

Where is the color?

Even if they just added a red belt or suspendors, it would help a lot. Or have them wear something white, bright white would help.

most guards could improve their uniforms just by changing the tops to white t-shirts. kinda sad.

As I understand it, the program itself is supposed to be about the 2010 Madison Scouts (and how it's kinda a "rebuilding stage"). While the drill does illustrate this, at times I too feel it could be a little better.

Right now the show is only about 11 minutes, so I wouldn't be surprised to see some new stuff added in the coming weeks. I wouldn't be surprised if a shade of blue showed up on the guard uniform for the closing sections (A'la Phantom 05).

Regardless, they're going to have to catch Glassmen for a sure-fire finals spot. Visual is probably their biggest need right now (as it has been)

Personally I actually like their visual program. It suits their style well IMO. I'm going to reserve judgment till later in the season. I think there is room to grow here unlike Phantom last year.

Right now the show is only about 11 minutes,

On that note, there is also a rumor going around that there might be a bit of extra

music thrown in at the end of the show as well as some visual fireworks.

If they still add spats to the uniform (as has been rumored), I think that will add an extra level of visual - a level that dictates outstanding marching technique is mandatory and things are not just about going fast. Maybe fast will come in the form of a new ending this year or in the product they put together for next year. I personally like how they are rebuilding the brand.