Kalamazoo Review

My vantage was in the "club" section on side 2 on the 40-ish. A very nice stadium, sun was an issue for the first half of the show. On a weekend trip to Hammond, IN for a family function and was given "permission" to drive to Kalamazoo. Click on the links for the photo's.

1st of all, AT&T sucked in Kalamazoo. If they cover 97% of all Americans, it sure does not cover Kalamazoo. Box 1 Cell network coverage.

Colt Cadets - I liked it, nice solos and decent sound probably not an OC finals contender.

Legends - Big sound, nice flow to the show. I liked what I heard.

Teal Sound - The show was fun, with a big sound. The show stared with good energy, but fizzled toward the end. The Guitar section did not overpower the show. I'd like to see this show compete for S'finals.

Crossmen - Decent show, bigger sound and cleaner that Teal. Kinda started slow, but got real good and entertaining by the end. Not sure if it can compete for finals by Indy though.

Spirit - Good concept and entertaining music. The synth kinda beats you over the head, but I think with some cleaning they could compete for a 12th spot by Indy.

Madison Scouts - Yes!!! Wow the hype was all true, this corps just rocked my world. The Uni's remind me of the Tx A&M Corps of Cadets. The only thing I did not like was parts of the arrangements of Rhapsody in Blue. This is a finals show, no question.

Intermission and time to head to the car too cool off and charge the cellphone.

Blue Stars - Uniform color choice is not optimal (I like last year's, why change?). Man what a sound, especially from the low brass. Big sound, filled the stadium. Drill needs tweaking and cleaning, probably places 7-9 by finals.

Boston Crusaders - Very very nice arrangements, confused about the chair on the field. I loved the arrangement of Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini. This show has lots of room to grow, can overtake Regiment if things dont change as much.

Phantom Regiment - Brass sound was fabulous. Percussion was really good. That is what is saving them. The colorguard score is accurate. I love the soloists, the music is very emotional, the show needs a lot of visual tweaking and can at best finish 5th.

Bluecoats - Big brass sound, nice and balanced and very talented percussion section. Not a huge fan of the amp'd and synth altered Baritone solo's. Needs drill tweaking, top3 or top 4 possibility.

Cavaliers - I liked the show alot, in parts. Did not understand the rifle section, thats gonna be a pain to clean. It has a Spin Cycle feel to it, I think in can copete for the title by Indy, needs a new ending.

Carolina Crown - What a magnificent hornline. Big, balanced, awesome sound definite Jim Ott award in Indy. Not a World Title contender...hete is why. Percussion is weak in very dirty, feet and drill design is their achilles heel.

I had a great time and I got "permission" to make the 9 hour drive next week to Minneapolis, crazy I know.

You may use the photos at your leisure

Edited by Tony Flores

I just noticed something about the Bluestars uniforms in your pics that made me think how they might relate to Houdini (probably a stretch but look for your self). If you look at the thumbnails before expanding them, they look like torso-less ghosts...all you see is the white from shoulders up and it really looks like they're floating...like a genie or something.