Housing Issues...

Just read the Crossmen article. It's clear that the school administration and Police thought that The Crossmen were intentionally destroying their property. At that point, I don't think The Crossmen could have given any answer to satisfy a bunch of hard-headed fools. Let's change the name to Loser City.

...I read it, too, and as unfortunate as the circumstances were, if I were the tour director it would be firmly on my head, responsibility-wise. Betcha he learned a BIG lesson there. It should be in their protocols that upon entering any given facility that it is walked with the host, Drum Majors and key support personnel

in tow, fields and all, limitations noted. I've been on the wrong end just like this man, and learned the hard way, make SURE all pertinent info is given to appropriate people in the retinue. It's really tough when you arrive at a facility in the early AM, maybe after driving all nite, all the kitchen crew wants to do is feed the kids so they can grab some much needed sleep, of course the drivers have to be taken care of immediately, usually the kids get bedded down for a couple/three hours and during THAT time fields are marked and made ready for rehearsal...the guy running it *may* get some sack time during rehearsals but no guarantees. This pattern could go on for a couple of weeks, interspersed with a few shows; you will get a couple of layovers if the scheduling is cool, but it's a sure thing that within a week and a half people are not even aware of what day it is. So fatigue has alot to do with these kinds of problems, too, all the more reason to have a set procedure in place that will cover potential rogue lining crews! :grouphug:

cg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...I read it, too, and as unfortunate as the circumstances were, if I were the tour director it would be firmly on my head, responsibility-wise. Betcha he learned a BIG lesson there. It should be in their protocols that upon entering any given facility that it is walked with the host, Drum Majors and key support personnel

in tow, fields and all, limitations noted. I've been on the wrong end just like this man, and learned the hard way, make SURE all pertinent info is given to appropriate people in the retinue. It's really tough when you arrive at a facility in the early AM, maybe after driving all nite, all the kitchen crew wants to do is feed the kids so they can grab some much needed sleep, of course the drivers have to be taken care of immediately, usually the kids get bedded down for a couple/three hours and during THAT time fields are marked and made ready for rehearsal...the guy running it *may* get some sack time during rehearsals but no guarantees. This pattern could go on for a couple of weeks, interspersed with a few shows; you will get a couple of layovers if the scheduling is cool, but it's a sure thing that within a week and a half people are not even aware of what day it is. So fatigue has alot to do with these kinds of problems, too, all the more reason to have a set procedure in place that will cover potential rogue lining crews! :grouphug:

cg

I don't know all the details of the story because I was asleep for most of it, but I can say with confidence that our tour director is on top of his game. I've seen samples of the paperwork he does for each housing site and I know he always arrives before the rest of the convoy to make sure everything is set with the host. As I said I don't know details, but I know that he is really #### good at the job so I feel I should stick up for him before the trolls come out of the woodwork looking to pile on.

I don't know all the details of the story because I was asleep for most of it, but I can say with confidence that our tour director is on top of his game. I've seen samples of the paperwork he does for each housing site and I know he always arrives before the rest of the convoy to make sure everything is set with the host. As I said I don't know details, but I know that he is really #### good at the job so I feel I should stick up for him before the trolls come out of the woodwork looking to pile on.

...don't get me wrong, I'm on his side all the way...been there, done that and I'm pretty organized, too...but when it comes to taking the hit, I'll always do it. No disrespect intended. The events in question have so many variables (some that I described previously, eh?) that it's just a beast to control every aspect...my regards to the corps and those traveling with them!!!

cg

Hell.. Crossmen's spring training site, they completely burn out a baseball field last year and they had games there while the Crossmen were there! They would use the field during the day, and they would have games at night. I'm sure people complained, but no one made a big deal of it (and they already ran into issues during their stay there, but things were resolved). To me it sounds like people going on ego and power trips. It's just a grass field that had some paint on it... how many MLB teams play or played on football fields? Some people just need to relax.

...don't get me wrong, I'm on his side all the way...been there, done that and I'm pretty organized, too...but when it comes to taking the hit, I'll always do it. No disrespect intended. The events in question have so many variables (some that I described previously, eh?) that it's just a beast to control every aspect...my regards to the corps and those traveling with them!!!

cg

It's ok I didn't mean you. I was thinking of some of the other people I've seen in threads that like to drag others through the mud. Your post was not offensive in any way. I will agree: I think lessons will be learned from this.

I can't speak for others but my experience in drumcorp made staff corps at my site a breeze. Planning, Communication are key components, but in my opinion the biggest is the Value add provided by the corps.

The days of free rain on district campuses is over. As a school board President I was able to get over a weeks time for the Academy at my site. This was done with an extreme amount of planning. Before we get into what was done It probably makes more sense to understand what the Academy recieved for the 8 days they were on campus...

1. Unlimited access to any rooms for sleeping quarters. I believe they used two large Gyms corp members only.

2. Seperate sleeping quarters for the food crew and truck Drivers.

3. Seperate sleeping quarters for the staff, which included access to projections screens and computers for show/practice reviews.

4. A large kitchen and eating area and access to the food locker.

5. Air conditioning Day and night

6. Lighted fields ect.

The cost to the corp....Zero Dollars

To do this many people and organizations were involved. District Administration, Principals, School Board members, City Council members, Mayor and city staff, Band Boosters and a complete buy in by the Academy board of directors. The discussion started a year in advance.

At the end of the day education and drumcorp go hand in hand as we educate these young hardworking kids.

The value added by the Academy was they would spend a day educating our kids from every grade level about Drum Corp, hard work, discipline, and the payoff that comes with a terrific show.

In order to sell this, all the parties involved had to benefit.

The cost was almost a 50/50 split betweem the District and City Goverment in excess of 10k.

Our only rules were for the Academy to educate and entertain or children and community and treat our campus and equipment as if it was there own. Everyone walked away happy.

Since I am the School Board President I can see the impact to districts and how housing a corp is more than just opening the doors to a sleeping area. You have to have staff and securiy, electricity, water ect. It cost money.

Ultimately school boards have to give permission for the use and that requires a majority decision in most cases. If a corp abuses the privilege they not only ruin it for themselves but for every other corp. Considering most board members have 4 yr. terms that door remains closed for a long time.

Case in point a a few years back a corp came to arizona and decided to paint their emblem on a football field, problem was they used a lead based paint. Needless to say the football coach and district ended that relationship but still had to live with the dead grass in the shape of their corp emblem.

Edited by Phantombari1

I can't speak for others but my experience in drumcorp made staff corps at my site a breeze. Planning, Communication are key components, but in my opinion the biggest is the Value add provided by the corps.

The days of free rain on district campuses is over. As a school board President I was able to get over a weeks time for the Academy at my site. This was done with an extreme amount of planning. Before we get into what was done It probably makes more sense to understand what the Academy recieved for the 8 days they were on campus...

1. Unlimited access to any rooms for sleeping quarters. I believe they used two large Gyms corp members only.

2. Seperate sleeping quarters for the food crew and truck Drivers.

3. Seperate sleeping quarters for the staff, which included access to projections screens and computers for show/practice reviews.

4. A large kitchen and eating area and access to the food locker.

5. Air conditioning Day and night

6. Lighted fields ect.

The cost to the corp....Zero Dollars

To do this many people and organizations were involved. District Administration, Principals, School Board members, City Council members, Mayor and city staff, Band Boosters and a complete buy in by the Academy board of directors. The discussion started a year in advance.

At the end of the day education and drumcorp go hand in hand as we educate these young hardworking kids.

The value added by the Academy was they would spend a day educating our kids from every grade level about Drum Corp, hard work, discipline, and the payoff that comes with a terrific show.

In order to sell this, all the parties involved had to benefit.

The cost was almost a 50/50 split betweem the District and City Goverment in excess of 10k.

Our only rules were for the Academy to educate and entertain or children and community and treat our campus and equipment as if it was there own. Everyone walked away happy.

Since I am the School Board President I can see the impact to districts and how housing a corp is more than just opening the doors to a sleeping area. You have to have staff and securiy, electricity, water ect. It cost money.

Ultimately school boards have to give permission for the use and that requires a majority decision in most cases. If a corp abuses the privilege they not only ruin it for themselves but for every other corp. Considering most board members have 4 yr. terms that door remains closed for a long time.

Case in point a a few years back a corp came to arizona and decided to paint their emblem on a football field, problem was they used a lead based paint. Needless to say the football coach and district ended that relationship but still had to live with the dead grass in the shape of their corp emblem.

...Academy is a class act, and the relationship you've forged with the corps is what all should aspire to. Indeed, the history of traveling drumcorps is littered with bridges burned, even now. Very rarely, I submit, have the groups been of bad heart...lackluster direction is the usual suspect, but I think it's getting better overall. That said, enough burned bridges, schools starting-up early or having ongoing summer programs, lack of dollars in both corners or any number of related problems doesn't bode well for the activity. We can only do our best and each try to understand the other...

cg

I read with interest all the posts about this subject. I've hosted drum corps for a long time (since 1989) and have a had a wonderful relationship with everyone I've met. I don't consider myself as being "lucky", about that, either.

I will also be first to agree that housing is getting harder to come by. To add to the trend early is the notion that high school sports are now more like semi pro. The demand on high school sports programs is through the roof as compared with "back in the day." It's tough to get a drum corps some practice fields if the football, track, soccer, baseball, softball, and field hockey teams are practicing all summer.

I was told by a tour director once that they are encouraged to ask for everything they can get from a housing site. On the surface that sounds pretty pushy - however, like someone mentioned before if you don't ask you don't receive. I understand that, and I also don't promise anything I cannot deliver on.

Good communication is obviously the key. There have been a LOT of occasions when I've had multiple corps at the same time. The answer to that possible nightmare was actually pretty simple - I asked the tour directors (who knew beforehand they would be sharing a housing site) to get together and plan their day. The result is everyone wound up with adequate space and rehearsal time. There was no traffic jam at the showers, and everyone was fed. Happy ending, all because there was decent communication.

One more thing - some corps are easier to host than others. It's easy to host someone like Blue Devils or Santa Clara (you get the drift, I'm not leaving anyone out here) because their members usually are older and more experienced with life on tour. Others are more challenging, but that's where the band director in me kicks in. I have freshmen in my band who have to have learning time in the way we do things. It's no different with a younger drum corps. Props to the staffs and administration who really do an incredible job of handling the younger members.

I'm fortunate in that my school administration supports my work with drum corps. I also understand my situation, regretably, is becoming more rare.

I remember when on tour in '06 I think, maybe '05 when we were in Salsburry, PA for Allentown and we took over the housing site from Southwind and one night a cop shows up right at 10 for the noise ordinance. Someone had called sometime during the last half hour that we were making noise and he went out by the time he made it to the school we had finished for the night before 10pm. We were about to get a ticket for not adhearing to the warning the night before until we explained we weren't Southwind and everything was OK. The cop then began to ask if we knew his cousin in CA...haha.

Tour is always full of surprises and I know in my school district here in SoCal, one HS wont allow corps because SCV once painted forms on the field and it POed the football coach that his practice field had forms on it. Other than that school all the others accept them.