Are the judges anti-Spirit or what?

Well, it really should matter based on how the judges sheets are designed. Each sheet has "boxes" or ranges and corps have to reach a certain level of achievement within each box, and then a numeric score for that box is assigned. For instance, box 1 has a range of 1 to 3, box 2 has a range of 4 to 6 and so on. DCI has defined what level of achievment a corps has to reach to be in box 1, box 2, etc... Sure, I can see a few tenths, but 80.2 seems low for their improvement over last year. It's almost like there scores are being held down so that they can not compete with any of they corps competing for 12th. Maybe they shouldn't be beating those guys, but they should be in the hunt....

Show dynamics will also drive numbers up or down. But I understand where you are coming from. Improvement over the past year really doesnt come into play. Yes they have improved but if several other corps in their area of competition improved also what you recieved last year or a certain box level could be very different now. It really comes down to placement and spreads.

As far as you other comment about no judges meeting now. I hear ya there. We had to deal with that for a few years now in WGI. No critique other than a power regional.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I think it has to do with politics...Visually I think spirit has definately one of the top 10 hardest shows of the summer and i think their music is harder than some of the top corps like Blue Devils...But then again whose isnt? lol I also think they are way cleaner and deserved to break 80 two weeks ago

Well, I don't know that I would go that far. The visual offering is actually one of their weaker areas, both in design and performance. I'm not talking about the guard, but drill design and marching style. The brass and percussion are definitely the strong areas of the corps, and the guard is much improved. I would like to see a more "fresh" drill design and a uniformed, more committed marching style from the waste down, but I think that could be said of several corps ahead of them.

I hear you though, I'm not lovin BD either....