Another great day for the Purple Lancers at Watkins Glen

Thank you John Vona and all your parade committee members for another outstanding Italian Festival Parade .As usual the crowd was hearthwarming and the food was fantastic. It was nice to meet up with old drum corps friends from Prime Time Brass, Hit Men and St Joe's. As always those three musical groups put on a great crowd pleasing show. The Purple Lancers are looking forward to being invited again next year. Next up for the Lancers is the Sauerkraut festival in Phelps NY on August 7 then on to our final event of the summer season an exhibition at the Pageant of the Drum in Cicero.NY

Edited by sparky9464

Thank you John Vona and all your parade committee members for another outstanding Italian Festival Parade .As usual the crowd was hearthwarming and the food was fantastic. It was nice to meet up with old drum corps friends from Prime Time Brass, Hit Men and St Joe's. As always those three musical groups put on a great crowd pleasing show. The Purple Lancers are looking forward to being invited again next year. Next up for the Lancers is the Sauerkraut festival in Phelps NY on August 7 then on to our final event of the summer season an exhibition at the Pageant of the Drum in Cicero.NY

The corps looked great! Keep it going Auburn!

TA

Prime Time Brass

Phelps is along the thruway on Rt 96 between Manchester and Geneva...

Ah memories of going to Seneca Army Depot after a weekend home in NT. We had a soldier that was from Phelps stationed with me.

Phelps is along the thruway on Rt 96 between Manchester and Geneva...

Ah memories of going to Seneca Army Depot after a weekend home in NT. We had a soldier that was from Phelps stationed with me.

and just to prove I have a story for everyone...

OT though it might be...

Seneca Army Depot - former A Bomb depot for SAC... B-52's would land there to pick up their atomic bombs in the 50's, 60's and into the 70's...

Super super top secret (yeah right - worst kept secret ever)

and to make it worse... the army land was so secure that a special herd of deer - all albinos - in bred and multiplied... bringing lots of tourists to the fence of this super top secret facility to see the huge number of white deer roaming the safety of the base (assuming you consider a nuclear bomb depot safe)

So the Army in all it's wisdom, decides the deer are attracting too many tourists to their fence... with the help of the forestry service, they capture and relocate the entire herd to some National forest area of Pennsylvania... but the laugh was on the Army as in two short seasons, the entire herd (even more than they had relocated) made its way back to the base... and they are there to this day... and one of the most popular attractions of the finger lakes region.

Just a correction.....Not albinos. They are plain old white deer. When I was getting out in 1981 thewy told me not to say what goes on there. I was on a Special Reaction Team in my 2 years there and we were quite busy. We had to have a high security clearance. Anyways, a week after I get out the news in Buffalo reports that these certain types of bombs are being stored there. Now the deer could have been white because of the leaks that were going on there. For a few years I thought I was sterile LOL. Two boys say I'm not.....well I wasn't at the time LOL.

and just to prove I have a story for everyone...

OT though it might be...

Seneca Army Depot - former A Bomb depot for SAC... B-52's would land there to pick up their atomic bombs in the 50's, 60's and into the 70's...

Super super top secret (yeah right - worst kept secret ever)

and to make it worse... the army land was so secure that a special herd of deer - all albinos - in bred and multiplied... bringing lots of tourists to the fence of this super top secret facility to see the huge number of white deer roaming the safety of the base (assuming you consider a nuclear bomb depot safe)

So the Army in all it's wisdom, decides the deer are attracting too many tourists to their fence... with the help of the forestry service, they capture and relocate the entire herd to some National forest area of Pennsylvania... but the laugh was on the Army as in two short seasons, the entire herd (even more than they had relocated) made its way back to the base... and they are there to this day... and one of the most popular attractions of the finger lakes region.