Blending & ensemble: brass vs synths

If a soprano player were sticking out like a sore thumb from the ensemble, he/she would be getting called out on it.

So why do we tolerate lack of balance/blend from the electronic instruments after all these years with the technology AND after all these months cleaning the show?

Because electronics are new to Drum Corps and nobody understands yet how to get the balance you speak of.

General opinion seems to be the synths sound better this year than last. A trend I suspect will continue for the next few years.

Good question. Look at it this way:

1. Because electronics are allowed, they too should be heard (when appropriate). There is a common tendency for fans to get mad when they hear synth or bass or keyboard projecting through the texture; but keep in mind that since it is allowed, it now becomes one of the colors, hence a color that at times will have the lead line or a counter line that needs to be enhanced.

2. I think balance and blend are certainly important, but be careful about this very plain vanilla, generic, bottom-up triangle system that many educators use. That is essentially a starting point for balance and not the more advanced look at musical colors and elements that must be pushed through the base of sound. In other words, there is a time we need to hear the synth, then the trumpets, then mellophones, then percussion battery, then mallets, then electric bass, and then perhaps a full totally balanced chord of the entire ensemble.

So just because you may hear a synth or electric bass sticking out does not mean it is out of balance and blend. It may be that way for a reason. Many fans simply do not want those instruments used in the first place, so when they hear them, even in the slightest, they cry foul. That, of course, is a different argument. But since the instruments are allowed, then they, too, can have melody, counter line, bass line, and can be made louder and softer when needed.

A great example of doing this well is Teal Sound. First, I love their show. Second, their sound man does an excellent job and their performers understand their role. I know many don't like the rock guitar, but if you're doing a rock show, and it's allowed, then why not use it. And they do, very well! Sometimes it is the focal point, and I love that. Other times, they pull back on it, and other times the guitar is not playing. So they don't over use it, but they did make a conscious choice to make it part of the melodic fabric of their show.

Hope that helps.

If a soprano player were sticking out like a sore thumb from the ensemble, he/she would be getting called out on it.

So why do we tolerate lack of balance/blend from the electronic instruments after all these years with the technology AND after all these months cleaning the show?

Well this is only the second year of electronic instruments, but as for the amp balance, I think you get a different results at different levels in the stadium. At least in my experience, the amps are overpowering lower in the stands, and better blended or in some cases too quiet from press box level. It varies by corps, too, depending on their PAs, the angles, etc.

I think in general, though, it's asking too much of the performers, the technology, and our ears to blend amplified sounds and acoustic sounds in wildly different acoustical settings each night and expect it to sound good. Electronic amplification can work great if *everything* is amplified, but in a drum corps setting it really doesn't make any sense.

It's one more reason to drop the amps, but I don't think that will happen. :thumbup:

I find the amps are often overpowering in the recordings, as well. The pit just overwhelms the brass in a LOT of recent recordings. I can understand that happening in a low-tech immediately-released APD, but eg, the 2008 championships official recording is really bad about this, too.

Edited by skywhopper