Blue Devils Color Guard

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will ask their guard instructor when I see her on June 29th...hope you won't mind waiting!

You know, the whole "weighted" "unweighted" flag pole thing intrigues the heck outta me...we never had weighted poles. The pure rubber crutch tips were PLENTY of weight!

You know, the whole "weighted" "unweighted" flag pole thing intrigues the heck outta me...we never had weighted poles. The pure rubber crutch tips were PLENTY of weight!

Try it Sally, you will notice a difference in the way it spins and especially the way it rotates during a toss. I can usually tell whose poles are weighted Vs those that aren't.

I use carriage bolts in my poles as well as the rubber crutch tips. The plastic ones are cheaper but they don't last as long as the rubber ones AND they are easier to take off. B)

Edited by Malibu

Okay, so, like, how does this work? Do you screw the carriage bolt into the inside of the crutch tip, then stuff it onto the pole ends? I've read that you also tape the bolt so it doesn't clank...

GIVE ME PARTICULARS! I WANT PARTICULARS! :huh:

Water heater pipe insulation is a foam rubber that can be purchased at like 6 feet for a buck.... put about an inch around the tip of the carriage bolt and then stuff the bolt part into the pole. Carriage Bolts have a head on them that keep them from going all the way into the pole. Then just put your rubber cap over everything and tape it on!

Water heater pipe insulation is a foan rubber that can be purchased at like 6 feet for a buck.... put about an inch aroudn the tip of the carriage bolt and tehn stuff the bolt part itno the pole. Carriage Bolts have a head on them that keep them from going all the way into the pole. then just put your rubber cap over everything and tape it on!

That's an excellent idea! I usually have the girls wrap tape around the bolt, but I will keep your idea in mind. B)

Okay, so, like, how does this work? Do you screw the carriage bolt into the inside of the crutch tip, then stuff it onto the pole ends? I've read that you also tape the bolt so it doesn't clank...

GIVE ME PARTICULARS! I WANT PARTICULARS! :huh:

Sally are you using a 6 foot pole? For six, I like to use 3 inch carriage bolts on the top and 2 inch on the bottom. Some others like them long on each end....experiment to find what is right for your flag. Like what was posted above, the carriage bolts have a head on them so they will not slide down the pole. Just stick them in and put a rubber crutch tip on....but BE SURE AND TAPE THE TIP TO THE POLE......unless you are into flying objects! b**bs

[sally are you using a 6 foot pole? For six, I like to use 3 inch carriage bolts on the top and 2 inch on the bottom. Some others like them long on each end....experiment to find what is right for your flag.  Like what was posted above, the carriage bolts have a head on them so they will not slide down the pole. Just stick them in and put a rubber crutch tip on....but BE SURE AND TAPE THE TIP TO THE POLE......unless you are into flying objects!  b**bs

Malibu:

So, if I'm reading this right, the carriage bolts fly around inside the pole? Do you tape them? Screw them into the tips?

I have a 6' pole.

Help me! :sos:

I wanna see how this works...

Tanks.

Oh no, they don't fly around inside the pole.....what I meant was if you don't tape your crutch tip, it could come off thus making the bolt air borne and possibly hurt some innocent by stander. However....if you don't put tape around the bolt, it will "clang" inside the pole.

Sally are you sure you aren't a blonde??? :P