Blue Devils Color Guard

Oh BTW, Sally I would have sent you a PM, but I cannot since George upgraded the system. I even tried using the "edit" option to add this to my post above....no can do! :(

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes Malibu, yur not all alone here. lol. We do that at Patriots too. A longer weight in the top of the pole and a shorter weight in the bottom. The weight in the bottom doesn't defeat the purpose though. The point of adding weight to the pole is so that the pole has more inertia than the flag has drag. Thus allowing the flag to rotate more. Adding more weight means more inertia and more potential rotation. Sorry to get all scientific in here. Just attempting to give an explanation lol.

In SoCal Dream, we have the weighted poles and yes, it makes a HUGE difference in the wind. I've come to like the weighted poles so much that I'll be weighting the poles for the high school guard I work with (heh heh, 'cept they don't know it yet, lol ^0^ )

~~ Happy

P.S. Hi there, LisaLisa!

Is it just me, or have the Blue Devils been spinning unweighted flags for the past 2 or 3 years??

I was watching their 2002 show the other evening, and anytime they tossed their flags, it was as if they had no weights in them..

The poles are weighted. We have a bolt in the top. I remember an night in 2002 having problems in warm up with a simple toss and I could not figure it out. I had the flag on the wrong end for some odd reason and had to do a quick switch....could be the blonde factor in this case.

Just wondering....how did it look like we were tossing unweighted flags in 02? When I see unweighted flags, I can usually tell because tosses look wild and I hope that is not the case. :fight:

It might have just rotated slower, or unevenly in the air. (Spins fast then slow then fast again...) It probably didn't look wild. Any guard that I've ever been in weights both ends, I've never tried spinning it without weights so I wouldn't know too much about that.

• 2 weeks later...

I've never spun WITH weights...wonder if I could...still have to add those with my pole and see how I do.

I've always cottoned that the rubber crutch tips were plenty weight enough.

:::note to self: go experiment with nuts and bolts:::

b**bs

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

longer than a zillion years ago we had pikes on the top of our poles (7' poles at that) so who needed weights :worthy:

we used to put quarters in the bottoms of our holsters so the pole would "clack" when it went it

• 2 weeks later...

you would use a 3" x 1/2" caridge bolt in the top and a 2" x 1/2" bolt in the bottom. these bolts are big enough so that only the threaded part of the bolt will be sticking in the pole, and the top will rest on top of the pole. the rubber end caps will hold them on, but be sure to tape them on because THEY WILL FLY OFF AT THE MOST INCONVENIENT TIME if you do not