Cadets (Clifton, New Jersey)

Good morning from Clifton, New Jersey. Though it was only a 90 mile drive from Allentown the sleeping logistics weren’t exactly the best. Do you know what happens when the lead vehicle (me) of the convoy takes a wrong turn? The whole convoy follows you. You just don’t do a U-turn with a convoy of our size. We arrived at Clifton High School around 2:00 am; about the time everyone layed down to sleep we had to get up at 7:30 am including the drivers to drive the kids over to the show site where they will practice for the day. This is another one of those questions you ask yourself why we aren’t staying at the school right at the show site. With everyone a little tired from lack of sleep we have to tread carefully around each other until we are full functioning.

The day in Allentown, well, actually Brodheadsville was just delightful. The drive back from Massachusetts was just what I thought it was going to be…long and tiresome. I was so happy to arrive at our housing site to get my things off the RV and find the driver’s sleeping room. When you’re tired like that it doesn’t take long before you drift off to sleep. The first thing I did upon awakening practically in mid sleep was go running to find the new guard uniforms. A volunteer seamstress was doing some minor alteration on them and I was able to get a good look at what the guard will be wearing. I have to admit it works. The purple with burgundy and yellow really stood out. It was only a matter of time to see what they looked like under the lights contrasted against the corps uniforms.

The corps had a good day of practice still adding on some more subtle changes to the show. The color guard as well had to make some modifications to their show work because of the uniform change. The kids took everything in with no problems. Remember that new mellophone player I told you about; well he’s marching in the show. I think it’s simply amazing how these kids can do that. There were so many people who came out to see the corps. They also lend a helping hand when needed. There happened to be another food run and when the RV returned many people helped to unload. Dr. Santos was again there with his table to offer adjustments. Don’t you know I was one of the first in line. Although the corps was staying outside of Allentown it didn’t take us long to make the trek into town for the show. This show was feeling like a home show for the Cadets and the fun part about arriving at J. Birney stadium is not only can the audience see the corps arriving the corps can look right into the stadium to see the audience. One of my favorite show sites of all time…J. Birney Stadium.

Even though I had seen the new guard uniforms I sat anxiously in the audience to see what they looked like under the lights. While waiting for the Cadets to come on I ran into some people I grew up with and march with from Connecticut. Not only did I grow up with these people we shared being in drum corps together and the memories from participating in drum corps particularly being at J. Birney made the moment great. Finally it was time for the Cadets to perform and the guard looked wonderful in their new uniforms. The crowd was on their feet again before the Cadets had finished their last long powerful chord. What should have happened at the Massachusetts show in Lawrence did happen in Allentown. Bluecoats won the Saturday evening regional by a full point 94.65 to 93.65. To me that is very catchable within the next few days. I have mentioned this several times, the Cadets do an August push like no other.

Today is the Clifton show where there are a lot of festivities going on with the alumni. There is also a Cadet Experience with many band students from the area participating. Last show of the season before we head off to Indy. One last show with Crown head to head and from the last couple of shows Crown and Cadets are neck and neck. We will all see tonight what happens. OK folks that it from me in New Jersey.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

Love these update. Say hey to James the tenor tech for me.

MIKE