Which World Class Corps is Loudest?

My personal experience (1988-2010) is that for field recordings, the percussion creates the peak levels, not the brass.

I agree with you here!!! The Glassmen had one part of their show where the bass drum in the pit is being struck with double wooden mallets. He was hitting 109-110 dB with each strike.

I tried to measure loud sections that featured brass w/o percussion punctuation as much as I could, but it wasn't always possible.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CLEARLY your meter was broken for Madison.

BTW: I did measure the Scouts from the upper deck at Finals. Their opening was 104 dB and the closer was 106 dB (including a huge crowd response).

If they were hitting 104-106 dB from the top balcony, they were definitely putting out some dBs at field level.

Also, I'm sure the mic in the meter probably doesn't have a perfect flat response. There might be some frequencies we would perceive as loud that are not registered as much in the meter.

The Radio Shack meter is pretty accurate until very low Hz levels nearing subsonic so it should be plenty accurate for a seat of the pants set of measurements like this.

The Radio Shack meter is pretty accurate until very low Hz levels nearing subsonic so it should be plenty accurate for a seat of the pants set of measurements like this.

Thanks! Good to know.