Which World Class Corps is Loudest?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CLEARLY your meter was broken for Madison.

Edited by sax1210

CLEARLY your meter was broken for Madison.

He has it listed at 111 because his meter peeked at 110. He then switched the range to 100-120 for the rest of top 12. I read it as any 111 reading on there was when he had it set to 90-110 dB.

IOW, they were LOUD, but not measured accurately (as stated in the OP)

He has it listed at 111 because his meter peeked at 110. He then switched the range to 100-120 for the rest of top 12. I read it as any 111 reading on there was when he had it set to 90-110 dB.

IOW, they were LOUD, but not measured accurately (as stated in the OP)

that's for xmen and glassmen, not scouts

Its interesting to note that there is only a 5 db difference between 50 horns (Surf) and 80 horns!

Can we make do with smaller hornlines in the future?

Nerd Alert!

Nah, techie (and almost a math major) alert. :sad:

Most interesting to me (x) - Highest sound level occurred when brass was spread across the field

Question: Does decible scale go up at a steady rate? Unlike the Richter scale for earthquakes which goes up a factor of ten for each whole number (8.0 is ten times 7.0, 9.0 is 100 times 7.0). Just can't remember how decibles are measured and probably getting the two confused.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Nah, techie (and almost a math major) alert. :sad:

Most interesting to me (x) - Highest sound level occurred when brass was spread across the field

Question: Does decible scale go up at a steady rate? Unlike the Richter scale for earthquakes which goes up a factor of ten for each whole number (8.0 is ten times 7.0, 9.0 is 100 times 7.0). Just can't remember how decibles are measured and probably getting the two confused.

Wikipedia says decibels are logarithmic, so it's not a steady rate. I also think that the formula for computing sound power vs distance is exponential--if you increase the distance 2 times, the sound power falls off 4 times. Therefore, if you could figure out the straight line distance from my seat to the 50-yard sideline, you might be able to better estimate the field level sound power of the last chord in "Battle Hymn".

Its interesting to note that there is only a 5 db difference between 50 horns (Surf) and 80 horns!

Can we make do with smaller hornlines in the future?

5 db is more than you think it is.

In tests I have read most people will say a difference of somewhere between 6 to 10 db sounds twice as loud. Adding 5 db is not a subtle thing.

Probably the folks doing the audio and video recording might be setup better (mics on the field, but mounted high enough to pick up the sound directed at the press box) and might could provide a better indication on how much power these Corps are putting out. Anybody have any contacts?

My personal experience (1988-2010) is that for field recordings, the percussion creates the peak levels, not the brass.

that's for xmen and glassmen, not scouts

Correct. And there could be many factors involved here. There were several Corps that were offset on the other side of the 50 (from where I was sitting) when they were playing their loudest, so that might account for 1-2 dBs. Also, as someone else posted, most of the brass were aiming for the press box. Were we to repeat this experiment in a warmup circle, I'm sure the results would be VERY different (and I would be deaf after 23 Corps :sad: ).

Also, I'm sure the mic in the meter probably doesn't have a perfect flat response. There might be some frequencies we would perceive as loud that are not registered as much in the meter.

I do have a note beside Boston Crusaders (107 dB) that I thought they sounded as loud as some of the other Corps who were measured as higher. Again, this is probably due to some of the factors mentioned above.

Then, there's always next year!