Should Crown's pre-show have been a part of the show?

Judge Crown's 2010 preshow?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Should pre-show have been added to judged portion?

• Yes
    • No

that wasn't the impression i got from crown parents and fundraisers in the stands at Indy. Placement seemed to be their only interest, going as far as wishing bluecoats and cavaliers to mess up so they would progress.

i found their attitude a little bit off putting and when one heckled cavies with the 'killed kenny' shout it put me off the people immediately. In my block we were in a very small minority actually clapping for corps placing above them also.

Also, i didn't like the way that crown were the only corps not to acknowledge the announcer when he asked 'is your corps ready?'. the pre-show was really good but surely the DM could of at least turned and saluted?

It showed a lot of arrogance (my opinion), what do others think?

i'll check back in a few days to see my comments slaughtered!

You got your impressions from people that have never been directly involved with the organization. Any members parents are going to want their kids corps to win. The members understand crown's philosophy on putting a show on the field. Obviously, everyone is competitive and wants to win (even the members), but the goal for crown is to put a great and entertaining product out on the field. Any other current or former marching member or staff member of crown will agree with that.

As for the drum major not acknowledging the announcer, there isn't anything anywhere that says they have to do so. They didn't do it last year either but I personally have no problem with it. I think of it as more like the entire corps is answering the announcer instead of just the drum major.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You got your impressions from people that have never been directly involved with the organization. Any members parents are going to want their kids corps to win. The members understand crown's philosophy on putting a show on the field. Obviously, everyone is competitive and wants to win (even the members), but the goal for crown is to put a great and entertaining product out on the field. Any other current or former marching member or staff member of crown will agree with that.

This!!!!!!

As for the drum major not acknowledging the announcer, there isn't anything anywhere that says they have to do so. They didn't do it last year either but I personally have no problem with it. I think of it as more like the entire corps is answering the announcer instead of just the drum major.

Actually ... they DID do it last year. :). If you looked to the Side 2 sideline, where Blake was standing on a podium while Mark was conducting the pre-show, Blake does do the salute from there. I don't think you can see it on the DVD's, but I noticed it one of the many times I saw that show live.

that wasn't the impression i got from crown parents and fundraisers in the stands at Indy. Placement seemed to be their only interest, going as far as wishing bluecoats and cavaliers to mess up so they would progress.

i found their attitude a little bit off putting and when one heckled cavies with the 'killed kenny' shout it put me off the people immediately. In my block we were in a very small minority actually clapping for corps placing above them also.

It's unfortunate when anyone acts this way. I'm sad to hear it about Crown parents and fans, but I expect there were such patches in the stands for most of the corps. I guarantee you most Crown fans also support the other corps. This Crown fan thought the placements this year were just about right.

Also, i didn't like the way that crown were the only corps not to acknowledge the announcer when he asked 'is your corps ready?'. the pre-show was really good but surely the DM could of at least turned and saluted?

I don't know if I'd call it arrogance, but I have been disappointed that they just ignored that part of the show these past two years. I would prefer the main DM to turn and salute at that point. I think the DM salute is a great opportunity for a corps to show some personality and tradition. Maybe Mr. Daughtrey doesn't like the focus on himself or maybe the music can't do without all three DMs conducting--honestly the slow, sparse arrangement played across the entire field is going to need some tight conducting. But I guess that brings this back to the point of the OP: should they use their pre-show time in this way?

I will toss in that my wife--who's not a big drum corps fan by any means, but does enjoy the shows and puts up with my obsession every summer--hates the fact that Crown has started the show in such a way as to overlap the "Drum Major is your corps ready?" bit two years in a row now.

Actually ... they DID do it last year. :). If you looked to the Side 2 sideline, where Blake was standing on a podium while Mark was conducting the pre-show, Blake does do the salute from there. I don't think you can see it on the DVD's, but I noticed it one of the many times I saw that show live.

Ah, weird. I never noticed.

As for the drum major not acknowledging the announcer, there isn't anything anywhere that says they have to do so.

They should, though (even if they don't "have to").

Doesn't the announcer ask for the DM by name?

Why be rude!?

They didn't do it last year either but I personally have no problem with it. I think of it as more like the entire corps is answering the announcer instead of just the drum major.

Maybe that's something they should work out with the announcer or something. Seems pretty off-putting if you ask me.

I'm not a drum corps historian but didn't this whole pre-show seamlessly going into the show thing start with Cadets in '89? That was brilliant.

Actually, it WASN'T all that brilliant since the announcer announced them way too early (long before the salute in fact, probably in a panic).

The whole "pre-show" thing is just awkward. They should simply add 90 seconds of unjudged music to the show if they really want to (they're all doing it anyway), and let the announcer announce the corps before that instead of creating these awkward situations (LIKE Cadets did in 89, and they actually DID pull it off in shows before finals and it was kind of neat as an offbeat thing but it sucked at finals and since then it has been more often awkward than it has been cool!).

Yuck.

Edited by WestCoaster

I heard about that, but I never saw it happen the couple times I saw it.

i'll check back in a few days to see my comments slaughtered!

WRONG! You may continue