Where can I learn more about crab marching?

Trombean

So I'm a brass player and I'm a visual tech for a high school marching band. Just recently, I noticed the drumline marching and I thought the crab marching technique looked really, really sloppy, although I couldn't quite put my finger on what it was. It looked like they were crouching down a lot. I brought that up with the section leader and he said that you're supposed to crouch down a lot, but I don't know how true that is. And it looks especially bad because the rest of the band is marching straight leg technique.

So are there any articles or what not where I can learn more about this technique? Or could someone here explain it to me? Thanks!

So I'm a brass player and I'm a visual tech for a high school marching band. Just recently, I noticed the drumline marching and I thought the crab marching technique looked really, really sloppy, although I couldn't quite put my finger on what it was. It looked like they were crouching down a lot. I brought that up with the section leader and he said that you're supposed to crouch down a lot, but I don't know how true that is. And it looks especially bad because the rest of the band is marching straight leg technique.

So are there any articles or what not where I can learn more about this technique? Or could someone here explain it to me? Thanks!

They shouldn't be crouching down a lot. There is a little more knee bend, but they should still carry themselves tall. Sounds like you talked to a sloppy drumline for advice. Hire a marching percussionist.

I generally crab-walk to and from my fridge but as the evening progresses it gets a little sloppy.

• Like 1

Hi,

A percussionist shouldn't be crouching down to crab walk unless the step size calls for it (I call it "getting low"). This should be very rare; I'm talking 6-to-5 or lower step sizes. Decisions like that should be made when it's called for; shouldn't be doctrine or anything. If getting low is the only option, try looking at double timing the drumline for that specific drill set.

Tell the drummers to firm up the gut, get up on those calves, and tighten up their butt to work out a better crab step. Drummers should always look tall while crab stepping. Ultimately, the objective of the crab step is so the drummer can face forward and go side to side without moving the hips and keeping the drum forward.

Several rounds of figure-8 block to slow-->medium-->fast 8 on a hand warm ups should start to teach your drummers how to do it right.

I hope this helps. There's probably some pretty good youtube video demonstrations to help you along your way as well.