1974 World Championship Flag

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a story on the DCI web site a few years back about its return.

It was stolen off of the Vanguard's equipment truck in Hershey the day after finals in Philadelphia. I can't believe that the Vanguard would have left it unattended and make it so tempting (and easy) to take.

Most of the guys who were involved are no longer involved in any of the corps activity.

It was stolen off of the Vanguard's equipment truck in Hershey the day after finals in Philadelphia. I can't believe that the Vanguard would have left it unattended and make it so tempting (and easy) to take.

Most of the guys who were involved are no longer involved in any of the corps activity.

'74 was Ithaca, not Philly/Hershey (that was '75/'76). One member of the guard, working alone, took it from SCV's equipment truck.

It was stolen off of the Vanguard's equipment truck in Hershey Syracuse the day after finals in Philadelphia Ithaca. I can't believe that the Vanguard would have left it unattended and make it so tempting (and easy) to take.

Fixed. :tongue:

Funny, I was asked to march with Madison in ’74. They needed to fill a Bari spot. Back in those days SCV & Madison were as close as any two corps could be. The guys I was visiting with in ’74, I first met on tour in ’71. I thought about it for a brief moment. I decided I couldn’t march against all my brothers and sisters (including roommates!) in SCV. . At the time I was totally burned out on DC and didn’t want to march anywhere. Looking back, it might have been an adventure. From what I was told, Madison was consistently beating SCV all season, until finals. I guess some of the Scouts thought they got robbed. My roommates said SCV was on fire for finals. I was told the thief was dating one of our guard members. I’m pretty sure I saw it displayed in corps hall in ’95 while I was President, but I have no idea when it was returned.

'74 was Ithaca, not Philly/Hershey (that was '75/'76). One member of the guard, working alone, took it from SCV's equipment truck.

Had we known for sure that you guys had the '74 champions flag when we stole Phillip from you in '75, we would have held his ### for ransom! We woulda had to do a prisoner exchange in the middle of a bridge somewhere. :tongue:

Edited by Russellrks

I meant the person in question was not with Madison in 1974.

Yes, but we all knew about it. This kind of borrowing was not altogether uncommon back then. Look on any corps bus back then and there were all sorts of purloined contraband such as street signs etc on them in more or less plain view. That said, many of us were a bit chagrined that such an important keepsake was not in SCV hands and it was with much relief that I heard the flag came back to Santa Clara.

I didnt know that Phillip had been swiped. I thought that wiser folks in the Madison camp realized how politically incorrect and possibly offensive a bi racial lawn jockey could be, even back in the 70's. It did appear at the MSARP performance in 2006 however.

Had we known for sure that you guys had the '74 champions flag when we stole Phillip from you in '75, we would have held his ### for ransom! We woulda had to do a prisoner exchange in the middle of a bridge somewhere. :angel1:

That's right! You guys took Phillip. We should have arranged an exchange at night on the 50 yard line with no Dirty Harry overtones of retribution :)