Another Crown Point review

I just got back from the Crown Point show, and like ChicagoFan pointed out in his review, the evening was perfect for drum corps. A clear night under the lights provided an excellent environment.

The Crown Point HS Marching Band kicked off the show with the Star Spangled Banner. There were only a handful of musicians, but they were able to do the Banner great justice.

Scenic City was the first corps on the field. Their uniforms are quite sharp in maroon and black with a gold sash. This corps 19B/15P/3G starts their show off with a lot of movement and some good sounds. They still have some drill to learn near the end, but once they get it on the field, I'm sure they'll make a great showing. At the end of the evening, people around me commented on how Scenic City's repertoire was the only recognizable of the bunch, and I caught a few people humming Land of Confusion as I was walking out to my car. Great job tonight, Scenic City.

The Marion Glory Cadets were up next. This corps benefits most from their "full" battery of 5 basses, 6 snares, and 3 tenors. The percs had some nice moments during their break. Overall, there's some nice hornwork going on here, even though there are only 13 brass. A few more horn players would boost this group up considerably. Be sure to watch the helmet on the field routine, a la Phantom Regiment of '93. Also, during the percussion break, the brass all pick up flags to contribute. The routine is still being worked out, I think, but the 4 regular guard members have some nice parts and are fairly clean. The lady DM (I wish I had her name... it wasn't in the program, and it's not on the website) can flat out direct. Watch for her.

The Div I competition started with Southwind. This corps, with their sharp yellow unis, impressed the heck out of me. Their show starts out with a cool percussion feature with the color guard and the brass playing softly backfield. When the brass turned around and hit, WOW. The brass sound was quite impressive, especially from the sops. The guard had some nice moments with half of them in the back of the corps with the flags, and the rest up front with sabres. The highlight of the show was most definitely when they formed a company front, jumped out of it with some fun movements (I saw at least one person do a full-one cartwheel...) and form the company front, again. I giggled a little bit at that, because it definitely looked like they were having fun with that one. Overall, there were some nice moves being done on the field. The ladies in the guard are very talented, and the percussion section is doing a great job, as well.

The Colts were on next. First thing that comes to mind when I think of the Colts is: low brass, low brass, low brass! Whoa mama is that a BIG sound! The mid to highs are very good, as well, but Southwind's mello/sop line sounded better in my mind. Still, the brass book in the Colts is much more demanding. Once some dirt is cleaned up here, this is going to be a heck of a horn line. The one thing I can say about the visuals is that they're definitely in-your-face type stuff. There's a lot of "dutting" still going on in the battery, but I'm sure that will go away. Be sure to listen in on the end of the second chart, Harrison's Dream (I think). These guys can really groove!

Okay... The Scouts were next. Here's the question that we've all be asking ourselves (and each other): Will the Scouts be playing on Saturday during Finals week? Well, if they're not, we're going to have the best top 12 corps in the history of DCI, hands down. I'm going to concur with everyone who has seen them thus far. THE SCOUTS ARE BACK! Are they different? Yes. Are they still the Scouts? Yes. Is it all good? Oh yeah... Next question: What about the uniforms? Personally, I think they look fantastic. I wasn't a huge fan of them when I saw the same pic you all did during the winter, but seeing them all together looks REALLY sharp. I feel they could use a bit more red, but nonetheless... The show starts with some rumbling percussion work as the brass "starting line" form quickly moves across to the 50 yd line and opens up with the guard. Oh yeah, the guard is FOR REAL. All of the problems that plagued the guard guys last year have simply vanished. Look to see these colorguard scores grow and grow. It looks like they have more guys in guard this year than last year, as well. Plus, the work they're doing is head and shoulders abover what they were doing last year. I really believe that was what was holding them back. They're very clean for June. The brass has a very balanced sound. Don't expect to hear the '95 Scout sound, but don't fret. There are some great brass solos and combo work going on here with some screamers that we all know and love. The Finale is simply awesome and is definitely classic Madison. It's a Latin piece that really cooks with a lot of fancy footwork. You guys are gonna love this show. Plain and simple.

The Cavaliers were next. I imagine you've already all seen the scores, so you know that the Green Machine won by a margin of 6 tonight. Musically, it's the same story with these guys as last year. The brass has a beautiful sound that is wonderfully in tune. The percussion and battery are great. The colorguard is good, and I haven't seen the recaps, but the Madison guard is as good or better than the "cyclists". Oh yes... the infamous biker outfit. Really, the more I think about it, the more the outfit works with the show. Give it a chance, as you have to see it all in context. From my vantage point (between the 30-35 yd line) these guys were definitely on the move. Honestly, there wasn't anything that gave me the "wow" effect. I think it had to do with: 1. My low vantage point. I was near the top of the stands, but I don't think it was high enough, 2. Need of repeated viewings. I saw the Cavies last year during Finals week and really didn't "get" their show. I watched carefully the next night and was in awe. 3. I'm sure they're adding more to the drill. I've heard from a lot of people on here that this year's drill is so far superior to last years. I can't say that I agree. I didn't really see anything that made me think that. The opening move was pretty sweet with a cross spinning up like it was caught in the drain, and a move that closed with the brass all sitting in a block. The rest didn't seem to knock my socks off, though... See reason 2. Or, more than likely it's a combo of all these things. I think it's great what the Cavies are doing with their shows, but I really hope the rest of the corps don't follow suit with their design tactics. Variety is wonderful thing. With all the Cavaliers have going for them, I'm not surprised they won this show tonight. Still, are they a lock for the 4-peat? I don't think so. They're definitely going to have to work for it if they want it. You know they will, though. They have all the ammo to take it, that's for sure.

The show wrapped up with the Glassmen. First, I must get this out of the way. The ladies in the guard look FANTASTIC. Their costumes are tasteful and dare I say... sexy? (hey, I can say this, as I'm not TOO much older than these gals) Anyway... The horns are doing a great job here, but their best sounds tend to come out during long chords during a park and blow. The drill is nowhere near as intricate as the Cavies or the Scouts (probably why the Scouts are beating them). Unfortunately, I don't see them getting any closer to the Scouts as the season goes on until they spice up the drill. The feet are clean, but the drill is lacking... The guard is dancing quite a bit in the middle of the show, but with the type of dancing they're doing, it would have been more fitting to have some male members in there. You'll see what I mean when you see the show. Nothing inappropriate, just weird with two of the gals... I wish I could offer more insight into the percussion. They're good, but I remember them being better last year at this time, perhaps.

The scores were announced, and we were all surprised at how much they had dropped and how much the Cavaliers had increased. Still, some very important questions were answered tonight. Things are only going to get more interesting once we get going. I'm going out on a limb here, but it looks like the Mid-west probably hasn't been this strong overall since Star was around. This is going to be a great season!

Off to bed...

Z

Edited by zmalsom

Did you see a 6 point difference in Madison and Cavies? How would you have placed them. Recap shows Cavies guard over Scouts. Madison's drum line had a bad night with even the Colts beating them.

Sorry if I didn't address that clearly last night. It was a tad late. :)

I would have placed the Cavies above Madison. A 6 point difference? Yeah, probably. Although the Scouts had a fantastic show, the Cavaliers are really doing some things in the GE arena that the other corps couldn't touch. This doesn't mean that they're more exciting to watch, just more innovative and technically difficult. I was pretty critical of their moves, but I was really comparing this year's drill to last year's. I really believe that my vantage point was a handicap last night. I sat in front of a gentlemen who saw them in Toledo who said that from high up, the drill is amazing, and they're performing the heck out of it. Apparently, the judges aggree.

As far as the percussion goes, I'm knowledgeable only up to a point, as I'm a brass guy. I can pretty much tell if something is really good, good, or bad. I really wouldn't be able to comment on the comparison's between the lines. I will say that the Cavies hornline was unmatched last night. They have a beautiful sound in all sections, esp the mellos. Wow.

Still, the Scouts have plenty of cleaning to do and have no where to go but up. I doubt they'll be the ones to take the Green Machine down, but mark my words, they're definitely going to take a few corps out trying. The G-men were the first. There will be more.

Based off of the spreads, though, Phantom must have a quality product on the field. I hope I get a chance to see that live this summer.

I don't think we're going to know who is going to place where this year until about 11:30 pm August 9th! :P

Phantom's show is AWESOME!!!

Of course, I am biased.

I am looking forward to seeing the Scouts the Friday, here in Columbus.

Who will prevail???? PR or Scouts????

Of course, I could drive to Harrison tonight......

don't have to wait to see the Scouts...

What should I do?????

Phantom's show is AWESOME!!!

Of course, I am biased.

I am looking forward to seeing the Scouts the Friday, here in Columbus.

Who will prevail???? PR or Scouts????

Of course, I could drive to Harrison tonight......

don't have to wait to see the Scouts...

What should I do?????

Just do it! b**bs

don't think we're going to know who is going to place where this year until about 11:30 pm August 9th! 

--------------------

Don Fortner

I don't know. Lots of hype this year on corps. While I see a battle for 10, 11, 12 this year. That battle will be between Spirit, Magic, Seattle, Colts, Blue Knights and Crown. Too early to say, but I think come 19 Jul, 3 weeks before finals the top 12 will be set. Lets compare last year Southwestern showdown to finals and see.

20 Jul 2002

Cavies

Cadets

BD

SCV

Gmen

PR

Boston

Blue Coats

Crossmen

Seattle

Spirit

Blue Knights

10 Aug 2002

Cavies

BD

Cadets

SCV

PR

Boston

Blue Coats

Gmen

Crossmen

Spirit

Magic

Seattle

With the exception of Magic being added. The Top 11 remained. Big dropper from one show to finals was the Gmen. Basically, others just flip flopped positions.