Tenor Sticks/Mallets

drumno5

Wood or metal shaft? Oval, disc, ball shaped head? A mallet (a ball or head on a shaft), or a more contemporary, snare stick-like implement? Any favorite make/model?

Your thoughts...

Innovative, Tim Jackson model.

• 2 weeks later...
Wood or metal shaft? Oval, disc, ball shaped head? A mallet (a ball or head on a shaft), or a more contemporary, snare stick-like implement? Any favorite make/model?

Your thoughts...

It depends on the application. I personally have always favored metal shaft mallets with Lexan heads/beads over tenor "sticks", which are fine for indoor competition but, IMHO, are too light and fail to move the drum head enough to push sufficient air, resulting in a weak sound. For durability, nothing beats American Drum HG8 Lexans. The American Drum JB6 "Jitterbugs" are slightly ligher weight, with a flatter "disc" type head, and are a decent alternative if the Lexans are too heavy.

After playing tenors in all sorts of bands and drum corps since 1979, I've never found anything that can match the quality of American Drum mallets. Plus, George Jacob (owner) is a fabulous person and is extremely helpful. Link: http://www.americandrum.com/catalog/marching/timptoms.html

It depends on the application. I personally have always favored metal shaft mallets with Lexan heads/beads over tenor "sticks", which are fine for indoor competition but, IMHO, are too light and fail to move the drum head enough to push sufficient air, resulting in a weak sound. For durability, nothing beats American Drum HG8 Lexans. The American Drum JB6 "Jitterbugs" are slightly ligher weight, with a flatter "disc" type head, and are a decent alternative if the Lexans are too heavy.

After playing tenors in all sorts of bands and drum corps since 1979, I've never found anything that can match the quality of American Drum mallets. Plus, George Jacob (owner) is a fabulous person and is extremely helpful. Link: http://www.americandrum.com/catalog/marching/timptoms.html

I know what you mean about the sticks-when I started back in the late 'timp-tom' era, sticks on toms somehow seem wrong. :sleeping:

Funny you should mention Lexans, when I was marching (80s) they were newer tech and I loved them. I picked up a pair of the radials lately-not nearly as good, but still fun. I gotta get a pair of lexans so thanks for the link!

I have an older pair of hard felt mallets for when I want to keep the 'noise' down and they still feel kinda good.

I also like to hack about with Tom Aungst tenor hybrids-not sure what they'd do for serious playing, but they are fun.

• 3 weeks later...

This thread is perfect for my question.... I have not played marching toms since 1974 having moved to snare after that so my tenor mallet experience is VERY dated!

My 14 YO daughter wants to learn to play quads (and move out of the color guard - thank goodness), so she is getting a set for Christmas.

No carrier, just a stand for now (don't want to scare her away too soon!), but I am at a loss as to the mallets to buy for a basically a beginning drummer.

I am thinking felt for softer volume in the house, but I think the Lexan or rubber would be more forgiving and provide more bounce.

Thoughts?

This thread is perfect for my question.... I have not played marching toms since 1974 having moved to snare after that so my tenor mallet experience is VERY dated!

My 14 YO daughter wants to learn to play quads (and move out of the color guard - thank goodness), so she is getting a set for Christmas.

No carrier, just a stand for now (don't want to scare her away too soon!), but I am at a loss as to the mallets to buy for a basically a beginning drummer.

I am thinking felt for softer volume in the house, but I think the Lexan or rubber would be more forgiving and provide more bounce.

Thoughts?

She would be well off with an implement like the Sean Vega tenor stick from Pro-Mark. Most tenor lines today use sticks for at least half of their show, and they feel absolutely amazing in your hands. Also, unlike real mallets, you can also hack on a practice pad with them.

I know what you mean about the sticks-when I started back in the late 'timp-tom' era, sticks on toms somehow seem wrong. :thumbup:

Funny you should mention Lexans, when I was marching (80s) they were newer tech and I loved them. I picked up a pair of the radials lately-not nearly as good, but still fun. I gotta get a pair of lexans so thanks for the link!

I have an older pair of hard felt mallets for when I want to keep the 'noise' down and they still feel kinda good.

I also like to hack about with Tom Aungst tenor hybrids-not sure what they'd do for serious playing, but they are fun.

We used both the Lexans and Radials in '86 with the Bluecoats and I hated the Radials. You couldn't get any sound out of the drums with them. The Lexans were real nice.

• 3 weeks later...

I like Innovative percussion TS-2's and The Mike Stevens signiature from Promark.