Recordings

This question should be addressed to the Round Table project...

When will DCI release audio recordings from their Ken Kobold archives?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They could digitize the old recordings and sell downloads of them through the DCI Fan Network.

The problem is, they are only of top 12 corps. What about the rest of the archive?

I'm sure there is some kind of demand for old DCI Prelims and big regional shows. You can include Class A, All Girl, and the other classifications. For example, I was recently asked if I had an audio recording of the 1980 Long Island Kingsmen show. A Ken Kobold recording exists for them that year. There were a lot of good non-DCI Finalist shows, a lot of them not in the top 25. And I'm sure the DCI Fan Network could change the website to accommodate the audio recordings.

If Kobold made a recording of it, I would love a recording of our 1982 DCM Runoff performance.

Edited by Jd83

I'm sure there is some kind of demand for old DCI Prelims and big regional shows. You can include Class A, All Girl, and the other classifications. For example, I was recently asked if I had an audio recording of the 1980 Long Island Kingsmen show. A Ken Kobold recording exists for them that year. There were a lot of good non-DCI Finalist shows, a lot of them not in the top 25. And I'm sure the DCI Fan Network could change the website to accommodate the audio recordings.

If Kobold made a recording of it, I would love a recording of our 1982 DCM Runoff performance.

As I recall .. the recordings were entrusted to DCI with the agreement that they would never be sold.

Has this agreement changed ????

Edited by supersop

We have probably hashed through this but....

I think there are many of us that would buy old recordings of our corps. I know many people in our alumni have expressed interest in this. I would love to have a collection of, not only my corps The Royal Coachmen, but also Lockport-Rochester renegades, Patriots, Charioteers, Wausau Story, Greece Cadets, Imperial Regiment, Precisionaires, Argonne Rebels, Valiant Knights, Muchachos, and probably more. All for my own enjoyment!

The biggest issue DCI is facing is the fact that no one ever bought the rights to play, arrange, record, synch, etc. the music corps played back in those days. As was mentioned in the recent article DCI had on the subject, it cost the corps over a quarter of a million dollars just last season for the music rights to what they played! There probably would not be enough of a market for them to get those rights at this point on the non-finalist shows from back in the day.

The best solution would be to just hand over the recordings to each corps. If they're never to be sold for profit then why keep them collecting dust.

I know I know ... there's a law against that too. It's rubbish!!

There should just be an established time that all this stuff is published on the site that shall remain nameless so that it can be gleaned by the DC fans in mass to help preserve our heritage. Since the law is against us... BTW isn't there a statute of limitations on that crap? And how long does it take for something to become part of the public domain? I know that there are many books out there that are no longer protected and can be legally downloaded via the internet for free! Look for "THINK AND GROW RICH by Napoleon Hill written in 1929 it is there for free!

Edited by Big Bad Bari