Is it worth the price?

I'm debating on whether or not to get the 2010 CD's. Is it worth spending the 29.00 now or should I wait till next year for them to go on sale? I have the top 6 QF performances, is there a difference in quality and whatnot? Thanks.

Big difference in quailty from QF to finals. Though if you can wait until they come down in price you may as well?

I'm debating on whether or not to get the 2010 CD's. Is it worth spending the 29.00 now or should I wait till next year for them to go on sale? I have the top 6 QF performances, is there a difference in quality and whatnot? Thanks.

The difference is significant. The sound is fully mastered and the echo is less severe.

I mean, you could wait, but the difference is, what, a couple of bucks? Seriously, life's too short...

I was actually convinced that the APD for Scouts Quarterfinals was a better product than what was track 4 on disc 2 of the DCI 2010 CDs. I'm very disappointed by many parts of the CDs where it feels like the person doing the mixing decided to take all of the soft parts of shows and make them loud and take all of the loud parts and make them moderate volume, especially in the Scouts show... there's even a part that is supposed to be and always sounds like a crescendo in raw recording, but on the DCI CDs he takes the fader down during the transition, so it sounds softer [okay, as long as I'm being this specific, the crescendo is from 9:05 to 9:08 on the CD]. I find that there a lot of moments like this in a lot of shows where the person feels like dynamics are overrated. The APD is also louder in general, and is much better-suited to me blasting while I'm driving down the highway.

I also don't notice much echo on either recording.

Granted, all I have to go off of are the two Scouts recordings, but between them, the APD is way better.

Edited by Stryfe

This may seem odd, but I enjoy listening to the preshows and the "presenting their 2010 progam (Title) drum corps international is proud to present (corps)". Which corps have this announcement on the cd?

The 2009 CD's are currently $25.

My attitude is, it's worth the extra $5 to listen to those shows for an extra year.

This may seem odd, but I enjoy listening to the preshows and the "presenting their 2010 progam (Title) drum corps international is proud to present (corps)". Which corps have this announcement on the cd?

I don't disagree with you. I'm actually a little peeved that not all the corps have the same format for their show recordings, so it's all a little disorganized and in that way unattractive in the CDs and the APDs. And I for one REALLY wanted to hear Brandt Crocker say "the Madison Explorer Scouts" again.

Here's a list for you (alphabetical order, 'cause that's how Winamp plays through them):

Academy: No preshow, no announcement, straight to intro

Blue Devils: No preshow, no announcement, straight to intro

Blue Knights: No preshow, no announcement, straight to intro

Blue Stars: Preshow, "Ladies and gentleman, please welcome..." ... "Presenting their 2010 program, Houdini..."

Bluecoats: Preshow, "Performing their 2010 program, Metropolis..."

Boston Crusaders: Preshow, "Performing their 2010 program, Thy Kingdom Come!..."

The Cadets: "Performing their 2010 program, Toy Souldier..."

Carolina Crown: Epically long preshow, "Drum majors x and y..." ... "Performing their 2010 program, A Sec2nd Chance..."

Cascades: Even epically longer preshow, "Drum majors x and y..." ... "Performing their 2010 program, Silver Lining..."

Cavaliers: Another long preshow, with no Brandt Crocker?! ... straight to intro

Colts: No preshow, no announcement, straight to intro

Crossmen: Preshow, "Performing their 2010 program, Full Circle..."

Jersey Surf: No preshow, no announcement, straight to intro

Madison Scouts: No preshow, no announcement, straight to intro [this is the one example where I can authoritatively say that there was some amount of preshow that was skipped... although it was just city noises and not terribly interesting]

Mandarins: Long preshow, "Performing their 2010 program, To Dream of Far Away Lands..."

Pacific Crest: No preshow, no announcement, straight to intro

Phantom Regiment: "Ladies and gentlemen, performing their 2010 program, Into the Light, led by conductor..." (seems to be a "custom", shortened introduction) straight to intro

Pioneer: Preshow, "Performing their 2010 program, Corps Prayer..."

Santa Clara Vanguard: Long preshow, "Drum majors x and y..." ... "Performing their 2010 program, Bartok..."

Spirit: No preshow, no announcement, straight to intro [was there a silence there that seemed obviously designed for a show announcement?]

Teal Sound: Preshow, "Please welcome, from Jacksonville, FL, Teal Sound!" ... "Performing their 2010 program, In the Presence of Enemies, drum majors x and y..." [also weird!] ... "Drum Corps International is proud to present, Teal Sound!"

Troopers: No preshow, no announcement, straight to intro